Ten Fitness Tips that will REALLY change you.

Vancouver, Canada
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ten Fitness Tips that will REALLY change you.

Reposted from my blog:

In the past six months, I have completely changed my workout and fitness routine and achieved amazing results. Iím now back to my ideal weight of 170 lbs, and my bodyfat is down to 11%. At 28 years old, Iím in the best shape of my life. But Iíve also struggled with injuries, lack of motivation and lack of time - but I didnít let that hold me back.

Working out is about discipline, itís about pushing yourself. To truly get in shape, you need to change your attitudes and beliefs. This is not just about being better looking, itís about building the confidence and discipline you need to be a good Pick up Artist and an attractive man. Here are the tips that most other websites wonít tell you - I had to learn this myself.

1 Ė Play a sport. If youíre a typical guy with a competitive instinct, youíll find that sports are much more motivating than exercise for itís own sake or bodybuilding. They get your testosterone flowing, and help build functional strength. And if you suck at first Ė now you have a good reason to practice more. At the gym, work out with your sport in mind Ė itís motivating.

2 Ė Screw bodybuilding. Most of the workout advice on the internet comes from a bodybuilding perspective, ignore it. Bodybuilding doesnít build functional strength, itís motivated by narcissism, itís not healthy, and it doesnít even make women attracted to you. Ask you female friends whether theyíd rather date a 220lb bodybuilder or a 180lb soccer player. Women like strength, not muscle.

3 Ė Work out a lot. Bodybuilders are the only ďathletesĒ that only train three times a week. For every other sport, 5-6 workouts a week is the standard. If youíre not competing at a high level, you donít NEED to work out 6 days a week, but try. That way, if you miss a few workouts a week (as we all do) youíve still worked out 4 times. Once you start feeling the changes to your body and your energy levels, you will want to work out every day.

4 Ė Stop making excuses. I just worked out yesterday. Iíll work out tomorrow. I havenít eaten recently. I just ate. My joint hurts. My muscles are sore. I used to have all these excuses. JUST GO. If you havenít eaten properly, chomp down something quick on your way out, if you just ate, walk slowly to the gym. Things donít have to be perfect.

5 Ė Lift weights for strength. Weight training and bodybuilding arenít the same thing. Lifting weights can help build functional strength for sport and is good for your joints and bones. Bodybuilding is focused on cosmetics, and can lead to muscle imbalances and joint pain. Embrace weight training, forget about bodybuilding. Stronglifts 5◊5 has a great program for beginners to weight training. I try to lift weights 3x a week, and play sports 3x a week. This is what I do instead of watching TV.

6 Ė Weight lift with form to strengthen your joints. I used to have a sore back and knees that kept me from working out properly. I would baby them and avoid working them out too hard. But that just weakened the muscles around the joints, caused muscle imbalances and made my pain worse. Now I do weightlifting with proper form, and Iím strengthening my joints safely. Machine exercises donít build strong joints. My sore knees feel 100x better since I started doing squats regularly. Stronglifts has great advice on how to lift weights with proper form.

7 Ė Forget gimmicks. There are a lot of gimmicky workout routines out there. Some are total crap, some work but are for pro bodybuilders. If youíre new, you donít need gimmicks, you need a conservative, hard, kick your ass workout to give you basic fitness and to get used to the idea of pushing yourself. Most gimmicky workout routines tell you that you can get fit without pushing yourself or working hard, but you want to work hard; thatís how you grow mentally and physically.

8 Ė Stop making excuses. Iím saying this twice because it needs to be said. Donít have enough money? Donít have enough time? Take your plasma TV or your Xbox 360 and pawn them on Craigslist. Now you have the time and the money. Iíve found that a good Ĺ hour workout makes me more focused and productive all day giving me more productive time. Workout regularly for a few weeks and see how much more time it creates for you.

9 Ė Eat healthy. No workout regime is complete without a healthy diet. Especially if your goal is to lose weight, youíre going to need to watch your diet. Lots of protein, watch your carbs, eat whole grains and veggies. There are a lot of good diet plans out there on the internet. Avoid gimmicks.

10 Ė Exercise your willpower. The best part of working out for me is the way it strengthens my willpower as it strengthens my body. Growth requires pain and discomfort, growth is exhausting. When you push through a tough workout or give your all in a big game, youíre training your mind to push through the troubles and the pain of everyday life. You get stronger, more confident and the slings and arrows of everyday life hurt less. It changes your life.

Iím currently following the Stronglifts workout program, which I reccomend. Crossfit is workout program that is also highly reccomended.

Tenmagnet (Chris Shepherd)
    -------------------------------------------------

Reviews Blog Products Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmagnet View Post
    Reposted from my blog:

2 – Screw bodybuilding. Most of the workout advice on the internet comes from a bodybuilding perspective, ignore it. Bodybuilding doesn’t build functional strength, it’s motivated by narcissism, it’s not healthy, and it doesn’t even make women attracted to you. Ask you female friends whether they’d rather date a 220lb bodybuilder or a 180lb soccer player. Women like strength, not muscle.

3 – Work out a lot. Bodybuilders are the only “athletes” that only train three times a week. For every other sport, 5-6 workouts a week is the standard. If you’re not competing at a high level, you don’t NEED to work out 6 days a week, but try. That way, if you miss a few workouts a week (as we all do) you’ve still worked out 4 times. Once you start feeling the changes to your body and your energy levels, you will want to work out every day.
    good post, except for these two. Why are you hating on bodybuilding? You seem to have quite the wrong idea of it.

Bodybuilding IS healthy as long as its not taken to the upmost extremes (steroids), and it DOES build functional strength. It wont build as much strength as a strength-focused routine such as stronglifts, but a split routine included with deadlifts, bench, squats, military presses, pullups, and rows WILL very much build functional strength. Those exercises are what any experienced bodybuilder focuses on, no matter what their routine consists of.

It also DOES make women attracted to you, not that it's a substitute for game, but doing a bodybuilding routine WILL improve your physique greatly. You're acting like you become a 220lb bodybuilder overnight. You do realize that to become 220lbs of solid muscle it takes YEARS of dedication and the right diet? If you followed a bodybuilding routine for one year, I can guarantee you that your body will NOT have 'too much muscle' or be 'unattractive to women' and it would be more aesthetic, although maybe not as as strong, than it would be if you followed a strength program.

for number three... no offense, but did you just pull that out of your ass? Where did you get that information from? Bodybuilders train 5-6 times a week as well. The pros even train twice a day spending hours a day in the gym. The only 'bodybuilding' routine I know of off the top of my head that is done 3x a week is Bill Starr's 5x5 routine... and it's a strength routine that is done by bodybuilders occasionally to increase their deadlift/bench/squats.

Strength is important... however, it all comes down to what your goals are. Unless you're playing a sport where you NEED the strength, a bodybuilding routine will work fine. Even with that said, no matter what your routine or goals, I recommend focusing on becoming stronger on core lifts such as deadlifts/bench/military press/rows/squats because those exercises ARE functional and build more muscle than any others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he was saying that being 'ripped' is unattractive to women, more attacking the idea that being 'ripped' will make picking up women much much much easier because you are much much much more attractive to women. Cuz that ain't true. Some women have a strong preference 'ripped' guys but for the vast majority it isn't that big a factor in physical attraction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexroth View Post
    I don't think he was saying that being 'ripped' is unattractive to women, more attacking the idea that being 'ripped' will make picking up women much much much easier because you are much much much more attractive to women. Cuz that ain't true. Some women have a strong preference 'ripped' guys but for the vast majority it isn't that big a factor in physical attraction.
    It's very true.

A noticeably athletic guy is far more attractive to women than just an average dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to have to partly agree with both of you. People tend to associate bodybuilders with the guys who are displayed on magazines with way too big muscles who clearly take / took steroids.
    Sometimes they associate them with the "Worlds Strongest Man" challenges that you see on ESPN. These guys are professional body builders who are going for pure strength, while the other "professional" bodybuilders are going for pure looks.

A bodybuilder doesn't have to be going for either of these two.

Bodybuilding by definition is:
    "the process of maximizing muscle hypertrophy through the combination of weight training, sufficient caloric intake, and rest. "

I consider myself a "bodybuilder" because I have been actively going to the gym for the past four years, this does not mean I am "unattractive." I know this isn't what you are saying but it seems to me as though you have a common misconception about bodybuilders. For me, I like going to the gym 5 times a week because:
    A. It feels good
    B. It keeps me active and healthy
    C. It makes me look better
    D. Boosts self confidence

There are more reasons as to why I actively go to the gym than these but these are the most general and broad ones. I look forward to going to the gym on a daily basis because of all these things and I like seeing myself getting stronger, leaner, and more fit.

Another thing, people tend to have a common misconception while they are getting in shape shape / bigger / leaner / whatever it may be. I am not saying everyone thinks this way but its good to let everyone know. Having proper nutrition / diet is 60 percent of looking good while 40 percent is the working out part.

I know a lot of people who got to the gym 5 times a week but do not have the proper nutrition and they are barely seeing any results. To which they ask me,
    Ignorant Idiot #1: "Why am I not getting leaner / bigger / vascular."
    Me: "You don't have a proper diet..."
    Ignorant Idiot #1: "Well, I go to the gym basically 5 times a week, I should be getting more vascular."
    Me: "No, that is not true, you need proper diet in order to look good. Its just as important if not more important than going to the gym 5 times a week. Stop eating fast food late at night and eating unhealthy."
    Ignorant Idiot #1: "Haha, ok dude, whatever."

Some people just don't get it nor do they want to believe it. I've had plenty of conversations about this subject. The other problem people have is wanting to use supplements. They consider supplements to be a wonder drug which will help them in becoming the most badass, muscular, vascular dude out there. Which is completely false. I tell these people that without proper diet / a proper work out routine supplements will do absolutely nothing.

Let's say someone has the proper diet / workout routine, supplements can only make a minimal difference. I'll put it on a scale of percentages.
    Working out - 40 percent
    Proper Nutrition / Diet - 50 percent
    Supplements - 10 percent

A few other important things everyone should know. Different body types mean different workout routines and exercises. People who are skinny and have a leaner body type need to do less reps with heavier weight while the bigger people need to do more reps with less weight.

Also, like tenmagnet said, having perfect form is key.

I could keep on rambling but I will refrain myself. If anyone has any questions about certain things, just ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom831 View Post
    It's very true.

A noticeably athletic guy is far more attractive to women than just an average dude.
    The entire post was about developing athleticism.

I don't think you understood my reply v well. Or the initial post for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexroth View Post
    The entire post was about developing athleticism.

I don't think you understood my reply v well. Or the initial post for that matter.
    You said being ripped doesn't make you much much more attractive to women and that it isn't a big factor.

It does, and it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom831 View Post
    You said being ripped doesn't make you much much more attractive to women and that it isn't a big factor.

It does, and it is.
    Have to agree to disagree.

Physical appearance is just one element of attraction. Being 'ripped' is just one element of physical appearance & based on guys I know who have success with women, guys I've read about who have success with women, & guys who make those 'best looking guys' lists, I have no reason to believe that the vast majority of women find 'ripped' guys much much more attractive than guys who are no doubt physically fit but not ripped. Doesn't jibe with reality as I know it.