Q&A and discussion about Magic Bullets (not reviews) - Page 2

FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is bothering me about the dominant advantageous gene propagation example in the "Quick Primer on Evolutionary Biology". You know the trout eaters versus non-trout eaters thing?

I don't see how the gene can spread to 99.999999999.6% of the population unless the trout eaters are assumed to have a (near) 100% chance of a) surviving and b) reproducing. Otherwise the dominant gene could easily get snuffed out: most likely in the 0th generation, but still with reasonable probabilities in the 1st generation.

So does the "model" assume trout eaters have a 100% chance of surviving and reproducing? It must to get the final figure. But, in that case, 100% chance of S&R doesn't seem even close to reasonable.

Care to fill us in on some more details of the model, Savoy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had hard time understanding the math there as well, but I still got the point. It would be interesting to know the math too though.

Cali
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think trying to understand the math is like learning how to build a car instead of just driving.

Sure, knowing exactly how it works is amazing and useful but sometimes you have to trust it, get in the car, and just drive

Cali
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the more I think about it, something really bothers me about the "genes" example

If back in the day the women liked brave men who were leaders because they gave their children a better chance to survive...

Wouldn't that mean that by now there should be no AFCs because all those genes would be gone way before "simpler life" that allowed AFCs to thrive

The only real explanation is one of two things.

1) The gene example isnt really true, or

2) People reverted back to AFCs which would mean that dominate behavior is not in our genes but in our upbringing and teaching... so again not genes.

Just a thought

Los Angeles, California
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The math I have somewhere in excel, but it's laid out in the book. I say that if you assume that the trout-eaters have an X greater chance of surviving, than that would be result in one million years. I forget what X is, but the math works. Not that that's relevant, because it's an entirely made-up example Evolution works a lot slower than that. Those couple paragraphs aren't really directed at people who are familiar with evolutionary biology. They're designed for readers for whom the concept is more foreign. I would be surprised if educated readers found anything new about biology in my book; they're not meant to.

Armac, your recent question is perceptive, and I will probably add a paragraph or two into v2.0 to address this issue. Some things you want to consider:

* In evolutionary time it's better for a woman to have one man than no man, even that man isn't perfectly desirable. Less desirable women often had to (and still have to) settle.

* I simplified evolution to single-variable analysis. In truth, a vast number of significant factors are working for and against biological success.

* The chapter also says at the top that the book is agnostic between genetic explanation for behavior and cultural explanation for behavior as long as a given trait was near-universal and deeply rooted. If you want to argue that women prefer men with (for example) high social status for cultural as opposed to biological reasons, I wouldn't argue with you. Nor would I argue with you if you took the opposite position. You can believe either position and be equally successful with women.
    Love Systems President, Program Leader

1 - Read the Magic Bullets Handbook - it's the bible of the Love Systems community, answers 90% of the questions here, and saves you years of time re-inventing the wheel.
    2 - Follow me on The Real Savoy Blog, or my twitter account. And friend me on Facebook for exclusive dating advice I don't post anywhere else.

Los Angeles, California
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q&A and discussion about Magic Bullets (not reviews)

This is a thread for comments, questions, discussion, about Magic Bullets. It's to allow for reviews to go into the reviews thread and for general conversation to go here. So I'll move a few posts from the other thread here and then we can be nice and organized.

Savoy, playing moderator for a day

1 - Read the Magic Bullets Handbook - it's the bible of the Love Systems community, answers 90% of the questions here, and saves you years of time re-inventing the wheel.
    2 - Follow me on The Real Savoy Blog, or my twitter account. And friend me on Facebook for exclusive dating advice I don't post anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savoy-

Can you please tell us what the changes are to the new edition?

Thnak you,
    Puzzler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy View Post
    The math I have somewhere in excel, but it's laid out in the book. I say that if you assume that the trout-eaters have an X greater chance of surviving, than that would be result in one million years. I forget what X is, but the math works.
    Well it's clearly not just the value of X that matters. What if trout eater had a 10% chance of S&R while non-trout eaters had a 9.9% chance? You certainly will not get 99.999999999.6% then, b/c then in 90% of your simulations the genes don't even make it past the first mutant. Which is why I am pretty sure you used a 100% chance of S&R for the trout eaters.

But look at it another way. Let's say you used a 99.9999999% chance of S&R for a trout eater. That would be a 1 in 1 billion chance of no S&R. If a trout eater, OTOH, had a 0.1 percent less chance of S&R then you could say that "a trout eater was 1,000,000 times less likely to die w/o offspring than a non-trout eater." In which case your result might not be as surprising to the intuition.

Los Angeles, California
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philosopher, fair point. Yes, you're right. I looked it up. I assumed that every non-trout eater reproduced once and every trout eater reproduced 1.01 times or something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Savoy, I just purchased Magic Bullets. But, eh...I haven't received it yet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, i got it, just one more question before i dive into the world of Magic Bullets:

Must we always enter a password every time we open the file?

Also, did you create an outline for the bookmarks? There is nothing my panel.
    Last edited by Hearts; 03-21-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a question for people who have a few of mystery's products - most of you???

Okay how does magic bullets and the venusian arts handbook measure up to the mystery book you can get on amazon - The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed? Anyone?

miaddict
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clareo2 View Post
    Okay how does magic bullets and the venusian arts handbook measure up to the mystery book you can get on amazon - The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed? Anyone?
    This is already answered in THIS thread. Please take some time to read the previous posts, and you'd find your answers there. There is also a thread in Off-topic(or Review requests) that ask the difference between MM and VAH.
    There is also a section in the forum faq rules which discuss the difference between the VAH and Mystery Method book.

miaddict
    (If you've never failed, you've never lived.)

Los Angeles, California
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearts, what version do you have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe its the latest one you made. How can I know for sure though? I mean I JUST ordered not even a week ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually on the 2nd page it says in very small letters "Version 1.0 2007"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

magic bullets on my phone?

does anyone here have a sprint TREO 700WX

im trying to figure out how to transfer my copy of the magic bullets to my phone. does anyone know how?

Los Angeles, California
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone's able to help set this up, let me know too. I'd love to make MB even more useful to people.

Midwest/South
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool havent tried it yet but did u accomplish this succesfully seldom?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SZYMKO View Post
    does anyone here have a sprint TREO 700WX

im trying to figure out how to transfer my copy of the magic bullets to my phone. does anyone know how?
    Your phone should have come with a CD. On this install cd there is a program called "documents to go". Install this program on your computer and open it. Drag and drop MB into the program, sync your palm and it SHOULD work.

Take this with a grain of salt as I have the Sprint 700P and viewed pdf's (not MB as I don't have it) on it a lot for my old job using this method. I did find that reading (other) books was tedious as the screen size made it so small it was difficult to read books if you didn't want to pan each line. Yes, you can adjust the zoom, but only in increments of 25% (50, 75, 100, 150 and 200) but it was still difficult. Good luck!

PS I will try Seldomseen's version and report back what I find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool thanx man,let us know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I managed to get it on my smart phone SPVC500 using RepliGo. I don't know how broad a range of phones it can be run on, but it's a good option if you want to get PDFs on your mobile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds really cool