where to start when working out?

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    where to start when working out?

    Hell all! Well, I am currently 6 1 tall and weight 250 pounds, 17 % bf And aim to get to 200 pounds and 8 % or so... At the same time I also want to look athetic not just slim but turn heads as I walk

    I already swim 5 or six times a week for an hour just for the fun of it and taking care of my eating habits, am not very strict just make sure vegetables are half of my plate and one quarter of it is fish/chicken and the other quarter, carbs ... And a snack between meals. So far so good, with that I feel fine and have managed to lose 3-5 kg a month...

    However I wonder if I want to get in the best shape of my life should I continue like that until I lose all the weight I want to lose and then start lifting? Or should I do it now even if I have the over weight?

    I also wonder about how realistic my goals are? I have been out of shape all my life (think Seth Rogen's type of body) and now that am about to turn 30 I want to look better and take good care of myself (and get all those 20 yo models too!)

    My friends (afcs, dorks, most of them say you can't get a six pack at thirty especially when you've been out of shape most of your life... Is it real?

    Thanks in advance fr your advice and encouraging!


    Suffering is something useless nobody will thank you for



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Start weight lifting now. I would also recommend substituting a protein shake for breakfast. Weight management can basically be broken down into calories in vs calories burned. When you burn more calories then you consume, you will lose weight. The general rule of thumb is a deficit of 500/cal a day to lose 1lb/week. Body building is a great way of burning calories. Also typically when people lose weight they lose muscle mass. Less muscle mass means your body is burning fewer calories during the day which makes it harder to lose weight. That is another reason why body building/protein shakes are useful now, they will help preserve muscle and make weight loss easier.

    GL! And apologies for my post coming off a bit disjointed im replying from my phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender:
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thank you both for the advice! Too bad I cannot do hiit at the moment due to some knee problems !! (I love running though and can't wait for my knee to get better and get back... That's why I have been swimming instead...

    As for the lifting I just paid my gym membership today will work only upper body but that will be fine for. Ow

    Thanks!


    Suffering is something useless nobody will thank you for

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender:
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    You can do HIIT in the pool. Swim as fast as you can for one lap then cool down for the next lap or two, then repeat. It's all about getting your heart rate very high so that even when you finish working out you will continue to burn calories.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender:
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Start lifting now, muscle takes more calories to maintain and will help u burn more calories by increasing your metabolic rate.

    Post up your full diet and I maybe able to help further

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender:
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Yea. Or on the bike or elliptical.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gender:
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lift heavy weights and cut it with some interval training like cardio. Elyptical machines work great if you have bad knees, because they're low impact.
    Look far and wide--there are worlds to conquer.

    Online Sarging /Adopt a Philosophy of Abundance

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thank you all for the replies, never thought I could do hiit while swimming ad already started!! I still need to build more stamina though but gonna keep practicing

    Will do the weight lifting and elliptical starting today, I have one more question, regarding supplements, protein shakes, etc... Are those useful only when you are skinny and want to bulk up or can u use them even if you are overweight?

    Cheers


    Suffering is something useless nobody will thank you for

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thank you all for the replies, never thought I could do hiit while swimming ad already started!! I still need to build more stamina though but gonna keep practicing

    Will do the weight lifting and elliptical starting today, I have one more question, regarding supplements, protein shakes, etc... Are those useful only when you are skinny and want to bulk up or can u use them even if you are overweight?

    Cheers


    Suffering is something useless nobody will thank you for

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender:
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    You can use protein supplements whatever size you are but they aren't miracle workers so you need to ensure your diet is up to scratch first.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Start lifting now, muscle takes more calories to maintain and will help u burn more calories by increasing your metabolic rate.

    Post up your full diet and I maybe able to help further
    Thanks CMan, here is my diet:

    Breakfast:

    1 Sandwich : wheat or rye bread, turkey, tons of veggies(lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pepper) little mayonnaise

    or

    Vegetarian omelette: 2 eggs, with peppers, tomato, onion, cheese

    or

    A huge smoothie: natural yougurt, soy milk, sliced mangoes, strawberries and some other fruits, usually one litter and once a week (usually when i am late for work)

    Meal:

    Chicken breast or fish (grilled) with green salad (lettuce, peppers, sliced tomato...)

    or

    A turkey Subway (subway is right around the corner from the place i work, so its very convenient) i just make sure it has only one line of mayo, no mustard, or other dressings and lots of veggies,


    ---around 5, i have a snack, it can be a latte (skimmed milk and no sugar) or an apple (sometimes i skip the snack)

    And for Dinner, something similar to what i have at lunch...

    I swim 4-6 times a week, one hour.

    Thanks in advance mate!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender:
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ill just put a simple example plan below:

    Breakfast:
    1 egg + 4 egg whites
    Vegetables
    Legumes (black beans, lentils etc)

    Or protein shake

    Lunch/dinner:
    Lean protein
    Vegetables
    Legumes

    Before bed
    Slow release protein shake

    Post workout/snack:
    Whey protein shake

    If you were to stick to this I sure you'd notice a good difference after a few months

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    33
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How bass your knee ? Do you think you will be ble to squat with it ? If so do the strong lifts 5x5 plan, three whole body workouts a week involving the big three = massive growth hormone release.

    Diet wise try and get at lease 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. Don't neglect fats as fat is directly linked to the production of testosterone and that will help your muscle gains.

    There is a lot of good gen for your diet here.

    Regarding getting visible abs later in life, it is possible, all visible abs need is a low enough body fat %, with time and dedication it is possible!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Gender:
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    1,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Yea start the HIIT. Protein can help with cravings if you are having them.

    What Guaar posted is good and also see this:

    Why The Food Pyramid Is Wrong

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    31
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mexican View Post
    Thanks CMan, here is my diet:

    Breakfast:

    1 Sandwich : wheat or rye bread, turkey, tons of veggies(lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pepper) little mayonnaise

    or

    Vegetarian omelette: 2 eggs, with peppers, tomato, onion, cheese

    or

    A huge smoothie: natural yougurt, soy milk, sliced mangoes, strawberries and some other fruits, usually one litter and once a week (usually when i am late for work)

    Meal:

    Chicken breast or fish (grilled) with green salad (lettuce, peppers, sliced tomato...)

    or

    A turkey Subway (subway is right around the corner from the place i work, so its very convenient) i just make sure it has only one line of mayo, no mustard, or other dressings and lots of veggies,


    ---around 5, i have a snack, it can be a latte (skimmed milk and no sugar) or an apple (sometimes i skip the snack)

    And for Dinner, something similar to what i have at lunch...

    I swim 4-6 times a week, one hour.

    Thanks in advance mate!
    Don't be afraid to mix a bit of red meats into your diet. (beef sirloin is an excellent lean meat choice) Pork is an excellent source of lean meat as long it's not sausage and bacon.

    Since I assume you're going to start weight training, listen to cman's breakfast option and make your omelettes with mostly egg whites. You need to start replacing your bad fats with good fats.

    No more mayo. No more cheese.
    Replace them with avacado, nuts (raw almonds, raw walnuts, raw peanuts, raw all nuts), and the occasional egg yolk.

    Legumous beans and nuts are an excellent source of protein/fat. You're a torta guy aren't you? (hahah I kid I kid)

    You're doing the subway all wrong, the ONLY sauce/dressing you should have on there is MUSTARD. (and I'm not talking honey). Don't get avacado at subway because they use packaged diarrhea now. Lower the amount of jalepenos, banana peppers, olives and pickles for they pack on the sodium quick.

    Are your smoothies homemade? If not, cut them as they pack a lot of hidden sugars. I know it's hard but you should commit yourself to eating 6 times a day. Stay caffeinated (and anti oxidated) with green tea so your metabolism keeps up. A dash of red pepper flake will also keep the metabolism up.

    As for protein shakes, I'm not one for it as many of them will make you gain weight. Plus, many of them contain many non FDA approved substances. (or approval "pending"). The only thing you should be taking as a supplement is a generic multivitamin (one a day, centrum, I use gnc "mega men")

    LASTLY, DONT BE AFRAID TO EAT. As long as you know it's beneficial to health.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Guaar View Post
    How bass your knee ? Do you think you will be ble to squat with it ? If so do the strong lifts 5x5 plan, three whole body workouts a week involving the big three = massive growth hormone release.

    Diet wise try and get at lease 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. Don't neglect fats as fat is directly linked to the production of testosterone and that will help your muscle gains.

    There is a lot of good gen for your diet here.

    Regarding getting visible abs later in life, it is possible, all visible abs need is a low enough body fat %, with time and dedication it is possible!
    i def cannot squat or kneel right now! as mentioned in other thread in a month or so i will be able, so far only swimming and started lifitng...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBamboo View Post
    Don't be afraid to mix a bit of red meats into your diet. (beef sirloin is an excellent lean meat choice) Pork is an excellent source of lean meat as long it's not sausage and bacon.

    Since I assume you're going to start weight training, listen to cman's breakfast option and make your omelettes with mostly egg whites. You need to start replacing your bad fats with good fats.

    No more mayo. No more cheese.
    Replace them with avacado, nuts (raw almonds, raw walnuts, raw peanuts, raw all nuts), and the occasional egg yolk.

    Legumous beans and nuts are an excellent source of protein/fat. You're a torta guy aren't you? (hahah I kid I kid)

    You're doing the subway all wrong, the ONLY sauce/dressing you should have on there is MUSTARD. (and I'm not talking honey). Don't get avacado at subway because they use packaged diarrhea now. Lower the amount of jalepenos, banana peppers, olives and pickles for they pack on the sodium quick.

    Are your smoothies homemade? If not, cut them as they pack a lot of hidden sugars. I know it's hard but you should commit yourself to eating 6 times a day. Stay caffeinated (and anti oxidated) with green tea so your metabolism keeps up. A dash of red pepper flake will also keep the metabolism up.

    As for protein shakes, I'm not one for it as many of them will make you gain weight. Plus, many of them contain many non FDA approved substances. (or approval "pending"). The only thing you should be taking as a supplement is a generic multivitamin (one a day, centrum, I use gnc "mega men")

    LASTLY, DONT BE AFRAID TO EAT. As long as you know it's beneficial to health.
    hahahaha i laughed my as off with your "torta guy" comment... though i have to confess i am more of a taco guy my self... real tacos, not crap sold out of Mexico...

    nyway, i loved your advice, will definitely make some changes in my diet. Looking fwd to the weekend to do my grocery shopping! Just got Mega Men today, lets see how it goes. will keep you posted.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender:
    Age
    26
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can you do leg workouts without weights? If your knees are strong enough, try:

    Lunges with body weight. Side lunges will work your inner thigh and normal/forward lunges will get your quads.
    Standing calf raises with no weights will get your calfs going.
    Wall sits.

    These workouts will get you good results until your knees are strong enough to do them with weights. Of course, I'm assuming that your knees are strong enough to bear your body weight.

    Good luck on your transformation. Find a workout program, stick to it, document every workout, and stay consistent. And stay the fuck away from the scale. Your goal should be less about weight (numbers) and more about coming down to a size/body that you're comfortable with and like.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender:
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,805
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cheez Avenger is back!!!!! Sorry for jacking the thread

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender:
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Drop the huge roll at subway. Have them make it up as a salad or a flat bread if you must.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender:
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cutting (losing weight) is 80% food, 20% as they say. But even that 20% is just for not losing to many muscles while cutting.

    There's a new hype in the cutting business called Intermittent fasting. You basically fast around 16h a day and take your meals in 8 hours. (Which usually means skipping breakfast but still getting your macros/kcal in those 8 hours)

    You can read about it here: The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender:
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Diet and supplementation

    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    You can use protein supplements whatever size you are but they aren't miracle workers so you need to ensure your diet is up to scratch first.
    100% correct. A supplement such as a protein powder is designed to compliment a proper diet. In other words, you need to be eating high quality protein from different sources in combination to a good protein supplement to really see the benefits. That is of course if your training consistently week after week..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM
  4. Start working out...
    By The Don in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
  5. How often are you working out your Abs?
    By wanderer in forum Culture and Lifestyle
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions



Facebook  Twitter