Whats your guys view on education?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats your guys view on education?

Ive been thinking over my life in the last few days and im just wondering wether staying in education is the right route for me. I enjoy and understand the subjects that are applicable like Economics and Business but when im doing Maths I end up wondering why on earth im doing it. It seems pointless to life in general.

I just feel like I would be better off getting out there and learning on the go in a job and exploring the world, not wasting my life away in a classroom.

Whats are your guys thoughts on this since im pretty unsure at the moment on it and could really use an older perspective from what it looks like looking in.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on what you want to do with your life. For most traditional jobs out there, if you don't have a bachelor's, you hit a ceiling when it comes to promotions. It's true that the majority of knowledge you'll need will be learned on the job and not in school; however, a degree is a valuable thing to have under your belt that no one can take away from you.

Make sure that aside from sitting in the classroom you're out there looking for internships, exploring different careers, and meeting people in your field. THAT is the real worth of a university education. Go to career fairs, network, and join the local alumni association. The real worth of universities is not the classes, but the community of people that surrounds you, as well as the opportunities that are available to you. Employers like to recruit from universities, so definitely take advantage of that. As far as math goes, just bear with it. You never know when you might see it again on the job (maybe you won't), but if you do, at least you'll know what to do with it.

Rogue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." --Confucius

Estonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is normal for students in Scandinavia to take a year or two off before going to university. To backpack around the world, get a job for a while, to see what is out there. I suggest you do the same.The university will always be there (being a few years older and a lot wiser than other freshmen is not a bad thing).

I personally think a person needs more income streams than just one - paycheck. But that is what universities are preparing their students for, being an high paid employee. Try being an entrepreneur for a while, maybe you'll like it.

Most of all, what do you really want? I went to the university to study business administration because a very good friend of mine chose the same field. I lasted 2 months there. But I have always had a thing for psychology and when I go back again, I know I want to study something related to psychology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Education is good if that's what you want to do. It's not necessary though.

Start a business! It is challenging and has so many parallels to game, it's awesome.

I recently got into 'freedom business' which is where your money basically works for you.

Here's a link to a cool blog on freedom business if you're interested, it has certainly helped me a lot on my journey:

http://www.freedombusinessblog.com

Any questions, I'd be glad to answer. Cheers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly how I feel. I had a conversation with my mom for over an hour lamenting the woes of shitty math.

I say stick with it. I'm a first year Applied Energy Economics student and I got big dreams. I'll have a better chance of accomplishing them with an education.

I think it's up to you. If you feel that you're equipped to accomplish your goals without a formal education, then go for it. However, school gives you a cushion by giving you a broader choice of job opportunities.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, many women do discriminate based on level of education... so school yields more than just career benefits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boston_019 View Post
    Also, many women do discriminate based on level of education... so school yields more than just career benefits.
    This is definitely not true. Women will be drawn to you when YOU love what you do, not if you 'went to Harvard' and have some piece of paper to show for it. You should only go to college if YOU want to, not because you think you can attract more women.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goodspin View Post
    This is definitely not true. Women will be drawn to you when YOU love what you do, not if you 'went to Harvard' and have some piece of paper to show for it. You should only go to college if YOU want to, not because you think you can attract more women.
    Uhhh it's not a requirement for all women, but do the math: most college drop-outs don't end up like Bill Gates; they usually end up working in pest control or car salesmen; in other words, dead-end jobs. Many women insist on a degree now- hell, most sperm banks insist on a degree now. When LTR time comes around, educated families generally don't like their daughters dating uneducated boys, unless said boy has a solid alternative.

A degree in anything is a DHV, nevermind a higher-value degree (i.e., fields that require you take Calculus). Those degrees are even better. College is a surer bet for success than not being in college- average lifetime earnings for a bachelor's degree holder ($2.1M) are nearly double that of a high school graduate ($1.2M), according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

If the OP has some solid business idea, then yes, college might not be the best option... but if he isn't sure, he ought to take the safer bet. I worked pest control for years, and a bunch of other crap jobs before I decided to return to college last year- and I wouldn't wish a decade of wasted time on anyone, hence my pro-education stance.

That said, unless you're majoring in business, the hard sciences (physics, chemistry), engineering, or willing to go to grad school, you might be wasting your money. A bachelor's in sociology, women's studies, or history, while all well and good, aren't going to get you jack shit in the real world.
    Last edited by boston_019; 03-06-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Almost forgot

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most women, education isn't as important as knowing you have aspirations. If you forgo college because you think it's "too hard," or you're too lazy to advance yourself, it's a major DLV. If you forgo college because your dream job was to be a Marine and you enlisted in the military after high school, then whether you have a degree or not doesn't really matter. Same with starting a business if you have the skills and a really good idea.

Think about what you want to do with your life, and talk to some people who have done it, or have experience in the field. They'll tell you whether you're better off getting a degree first or jumping right in. Whatever it is, I suggest always having a Plan B, especially if going into something risky like business, acting, etc. Like boston_019 said, make sure your degree can get you a job.

Rogue

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    If you forgo college because your dream job was to be a Marine and you enlisted in the military after high school, then whether you have a degree or not doesn't really matter.
    Rogue
    You read my resume!

Accra
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its fun to be a nerd for a while i hate math just like u but im motivated to study it because i am venturing into business. I dont want to be cheated by banks etc learning math will help u save money and make money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by philemon View Post
    Its fun to be a nerd for a while i hate math just like u but im motivated to study it because i am venturing into business. I dont want to be cheated by banks etc learning math will help u save money and make money
    Math isn't really going to help you with that. All you need to know is basic algebra. READING will help you. You get cheated in the writing.

Accra
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Math isn't really going to help you with that. All you need to know is basic algebra. READING will help you. You get cheated in the writing.
    algebra is a branch of maths,in business you need to focus more on business maths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL "business maths"?

Oh lawd.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by driedfruit View Post
    LOL "business maths"?

Oh lawd.
    He pluralized math because that's how they do it in Europe, and presumably Accra got its educational system from European colonists/slave traders.

Interestingly, it makes more sense to say maths instead of math. Why? The whole word is "mathematics", not "mathematic".

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people tend to not realize about math is that while you don't use most of it in the real world, it shows your mind how to think logically- what you do to the left you do to the right, for example. That logical thinking keeps people from getting cheated in the books and in various deals. The writing is an entire arena unto itself in which to get screwed by a bad business deal... which brings me to my next point: There are no bad business deals, only bad businessmen.

My original comment about math has been lost in all of the subsequent debate. Most business programs require that students take a substantial amount of math (more than some dipshit majoring in the humanities). Any bachelor degree that has a decent ROI on it involves math- engineering, business, and the hard sciences (i.e. NOT biology).

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any bachelor degree that has a decent ROI on it involves math- engineering, business, and the hard sciences (i.e. NOT biology).
    I bed to differ... I got a bio degree and went through the whole series from calculus to linear algebra and differential equations... not to mention statistics, which you need to learn to analyze data. It's as valid a science as any of the "hard sciences" out there. We just happen to deal with living material, in addition to the man-made stuff.

Rogue

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    I bed to differ... I got a bio degree and went through the whole series from calculus to linear algebra and differential equations... not to mention statistics, which you need to learn to analyze data. It's as valid a science as any of the "hard sciences" out there. We just happen to deal with living material, in addition to the man-made stuff.

Rogue
    Put the gun away- I wasn't saying bio isn't a valid science, but it's not in the same tier as physics, chemistry, or engineering.
    Last edited by boston_019; 03-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive just been on the look once more. I find one of the hardest parts in looking for a decent university and course is that all rankings seem to contradict each other. Ive settled on the financial times rankings since im going into business/economics side of things.

Just wondering on your guys opinion on international business courses. I especially looking at internation business with american studies which is basically just international business which focuses on trade in america and also allows me to have an year at an american university. Whats your guys views on the sort of respect this course will get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people tend to not realize about math is that while you don't use most of it in the real world, it shows your mind how to think logically- what you do to the left you do to the right, for example. That logical thinking keeps people from getting cheated in the books and in various deals. The writing is an entire arena unto itself in which to get screwed by a bad business deal... which brings me to my next point: There are no bad business deals, only bad businessmen.

My original comment about math has been lost in all of the subsequent debate. Most business programs require that students take a substantial amount of math (more than some dipshit majoring in the humanities). Any bachelor degree that has a decent ROI on it involves math- engineering, business, and the hard sciences (i.e. NOT biology).
    I own a business. On a day to day basis I don't need to use anything beyond basic algebra. People try to screw you over in the writing. Trust no one. Read everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DKahuna View Post
    Ive just been on the look once more. I find one of the hardest parts in looking for a decent university and course is that all rankings seem to contradict each other. Ive settled on the financial times rankings since im going into business/economics side of things.

Just wondering on your guys opinion on international business courses. I especially looking at internation business with american studies which is basically just international business which focuses on trade in america and also allows me to have an year at an american university. Whats your guys views on the sort of respect this course will get.
    Which region of America are you interested in coming to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which region of America are you interested in coming to?
    I havnt really looked into American universities which will be alot to do with where i go. The areas that appeal to me mainly though would be california for the business side of silicon valley and the financial side to new york. Beyond that i dont really know what cities are good/bad.

Jumping All Over The World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much feel the same about university/college as the original post. I think that knowledge is extremely important but at the same time I do not believe in the education system and what getting a higher education has become / represents these days. The system is outdated and its way too easy to get a degree....which has no value anymore because everyones got one. So you gotta get multiple degrees or an MA, PHD, etc to stand out. But then you`ll be unemployed because youre over qualified and they cant afford you. Quite shitty but true. Besides, the world needs people to do manual labor. Heck, a good plumber can even make at least as much if not more then a BA holder with average/high salary.

I know, Ive gone to university for 1.5-2years but wasnt feeling the whole thing, especially their methods that are used to deliver the material so I`m taking time off. That was 1.5 years ago and right now Im self-employed, traveling the world for work (tho it feels like a really long vacation ) and experiencing everything I can. In fact, without trying to sound cocky, Im living a lifestyle most guys on the forum only dream of.

Is it gona last forever? No, but it has already given me so much experience, connections and insight into how the business world works that I could get a job pretty much anywhere in the world if I wanted to. And thats something a simple university or college education cannot do. In my opinion at least.

Having said all that, keep in mind that you should always educate yourself regardless of attending school or not

For another interesting point of view on the subject check out Sir Ken Robinson`s video "Do Schools Kill Creativity?" if you havent already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much for sharing the information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that the topic of education should now be discussed as widely and actively as possible. Starting from representatives of the highest authorities in our country and ending with teachers in schools and parents. Today I am writing a small study at the university about how such services as bid4papers reviews affect the general level of student development at a college or university, including the ability to write scientific papers. What do you think about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Education is now very important. I think everyone should be educated in their field. During the training, they are asked to write essays, so to speak, to understand the topic in more detail.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know what you're talking about here, only replying to the headline.

With no education, you'll be able to have a somewhat comfortable life, sometimes or often struggling to make ends meet. But there are many negative consequences.

You will have fewer options and will often have to endure absolutely terrible managers or otherwise bad working conditions.

Chances are your job is pretty physical and as you start reaching 40-50 years of age, it'll really start to show. The back is acking, the knees are acting up, stuff like that. And NO ONE will thank you for your hard work at that point. Maybe you're even lucky to get sick from exposure to toxins and other shit.

Another often underestimated consequence is that you'll quickly hit a ceiling of advancement. Meaning that, yes, you can get into a low level management position where you'll work your ass off for a pay that on an hourly basis will often be lower than the people whom you manage. BUT. You will basically never become a manager of managers or a CEO, because that job almost always require college training. So when you're 40, some young person straight out of college will swoop in from the left, 23 years old, with no life- or work experience, but this individual will now be your boss, and will have a starting salary that's higher than your finishing salary.

There are of course cases of people with no education who make it big. And some break through the advancement ceiling. Absolutely possible. But it is NOT the norm. Decide wisely.

And of course there are jobs where being self-taught can take you far. In software development,it's absolutely possibly to spend some years teaching yourself how to code and then find a job. But only a few can actually pull it off, as it requires immense dedication.

To put it bluntly. If you've found this thread because you wonder if you should get an education or not, most likely, you should, since you probably don't have the drive it requires to make it big without.