Get in shape and eat right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get in shape and eat right!

Ok so I was not to sure where to put this so I figured I would just put this here.
    We all agree that part of the game is looking good, and part of looking good is looking fit.
    Well I may not be a Master PUA or a Pick up guru (yet) but I am a health Guru so I thought I would put this up to help any guys who are looking to improve their physical image. Mainly because I have been running into a lot of guys lately at the gym who don't really know what they are doing at the gym. They just go from machine to machine not knowing what they are working on, sipping on a protein drink while they are working out.

Ok so the first step is to go spend the money and pick up a workout book. The 2 books that I have used is "The Platinum Workout by LL Cool J and the Built for Show Workout by Nate Green. Both are great books, LL Cool J's is a 22 week program and Built for Show is a year long program and also has some references to the Mystery Method in the book towards the end. Nothing that most of us dont know, but he does tell you how to dress to show what you have and hide what you don't. Either way both start off slow and in the end kick your ass.

You can choose to go with a different book but you shouldnt be spending more that 30 dollars on it, and make sure it has a nutrition plan or something in the book.

Now when you get the book make sure you actually read the material. Dont just jump right to the workout section because u have defeated the whole point of the book and your back to working out at the gym not really knowing anything. There is a lot of useful material in the pages, mainly on how to do the workouts. A little rule of thumb is, "Dont sacrifice form for weight" meaning if your doing bench press and you have to arc your back to get the weight up, your doing it wrong.

Next is to get on a healthy meal routine. I have one very strong recommendation for this and that is "CooK This Not That" not only does it help you eat healthy and teach you how to make you great food but it helps you save a ton of cash, which is a very good thing. It has every possible type of meal in their and usually I use these bomb as recipes to show some true DHV when I have a girl at my place. Like made from scratch chicken Parm, Dr. Pepper ribs, burgers, you name it. For some reason girls really like a guy that can cook good food. Plus the knowledge you will gain from this book about food easily shows DHV also. I have people asking me all the time about what is healthy and what is not.

The last thing I have to cover is supplements. The only thing I personally think you need is a Protein shake. You dont need NOexplode of Creatine. That stuff just ends up killing your insides. If you need a boost before you go to the gym drink a cup of coffee, studies prove that it boosts your metabolism before a work out.
    No, all you need is a decent protein shake. Simple way to make it enjoyable is to put the powder in a blender with a spoonful of yogurt, ice, about 6 oz of water, a banana and some blueberries. Tastes great. And try to make it so you have that 2 times a day.

This is really the basic of the basics right now to get you started. Do your best to stick to the routine, try not to fall out of it. there was an old saying for my high school football team "7 days makes one weak"

Hope this helps some of you guys, if you have any questions write them on here so everyone can see em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insanity or P90x type workouts work great as well...

I supplemented my gym workouts with these, and although I generally prefer to be out and about at the gym - this keeps me going (helps that one of the girls I'm seeing is all into it/fitness trainer - so keeps me motivated to keep doing it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitness and nutrition tend to be my forte as well so I'd like to add some stuff. I don't want to hijack the thread but would love to help out if you don't mind. I went from a chubby 180 down to a lean 140 and now back up to a muscular and lean 180 over the past 3 years. I don't think it's necessary to purchase a book, there is plenty of free information and workout plans available online, and most are just as good and better than much of the stuff in books. However I admit a set plan from a book would probably be much easier for a beginner. If I were to suggest a book though it would certainly be Arnold's Encyclopedia to Modern Bodybuilding. I read this when I first started out and the amount of info is unmatched. It can be had for under $20 on Amazon.

I'll give my ten best pieces of advice for everyone regarding fitness:

1:This isn't going to be fast- There's no quick fix, you aren't going to see an overnight change. You have to be dedicated and work hard. If you've never lifted before you will notice great gains in the beginning but these will quickly taper off. Don't get discouraged it's natural.

2:It doesn't start and stop at the gym entrance- Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want. More than 90% of your progress will come from how you live OUTSIDE of the gym. This means you have to eat right, avoid binge drinking, get proper rest before working the same body part and get enough sleep.

3:Use proper form- Like Shamrock said, never NEVER sacrifice form for weight! It'll do way more harm than good. You'll develop bad habits, stunt your progress and could do serious damage.

4:READ- Just like you would your PUA material immerse yourself in everything you can learn. Read forums, articles, anything you can get your hands on. But be careful at the same time because there is plenty of bogus myths and broscience out there.

5:Know your body- Everyone is different. This is why I am not a big fan of "one size fits all" nutrition guides or strict workout plans. We all react differently to different things. Experiment; find out what exercises you like best and seem to get the best results from.

6:Count your calories- Expanding upon the last point a bit. The most important thing you will need to find out is how many calories you are burning on a daily basis. There are a number of online calculators to help give you a general idea. This will be your guide for how much to eat for your goals. If you want to gain weight you have to eat a surplus. If you want to lose weight you have to eat less. You'll probably have to experiment a bit with this to find out the numbers. And no... you cannot effectively gain muscle and lose fat at the same time without the help of illegal chemicals.

7:You cannot spot reduce- I don't know how many people have asked me this. You cannot spot reduce fat off of your body! You can do all the crunches you want but it's not going to burn the flab around your midsection. If you want to loss your love handles you'll have to lose weight in general.

8: Compound exercises- The majority of your exercises, especially starting out, should be compound exercises. The big three being bench press, squat and deadlift. These will give you the best gains and hit the most muscles and build core strength.

9: Leave no muscle behind- Yes I know... Chest and biceps look great and women love them. That does not mean you should be in the gym 3-4 days a week working them! If you do... you're an idiot. It's a fast way to horrible posture, tendon and joint problems as well as over training your chest and bis. Starting out, you should do each body part once, and only once, a week... Yes even legs, which will help the rest of your body grow as well. Most importantly, this will prevent you from looking like an unbalanced dumbass with a big upper body and chicken legs.

10: Eat your protein! Did Shamrock or myself happen to mention the importance of diet and nutrition? In fact it is the SINGLE most important aspect. You will live and die by your diet. Chances are... if you are not seeing progress it's because your diet is shit! You should be aiming to eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. The only supplements I'm currently on is protein powder which I mix up with skim milk and drink twice a day (breakfast and post workout).

*Bonus tip* Cut the empty calories! Trust me, I know as well as anyone how delicious deep fried goods, refined sugars, and saturated fats are. But you need to start cutting that shit out. When I first started out I saw huge progress in losing weight just from cutting out Mayo, butter, and switching to lowfat salad dressings and sour cream and switching to diet coke. I slowly cut out more and more that I deemed unnecessary. No it didn't taste as good at first but I got used to it and so can you. Plan a cheat meal for yourself once a week where you don't really worry about diet(mine is always Sunday dinner when I go out with my parents), trust me, it'll keep you sane. Just don't make it so horrendous that it destroys what you've done the rest of the week.

I'll leave it at that for now although there is so much more I could discuss; nutrient timing, post workout nutrition, meal frequency, supplements, workout plans and splits, rep ranges, etc but I'll leave that for another day. Once again Shamrock, I don't mean to hijack the thread, just add my personal opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you guys. Great tips.

Do you also have some tips on how to get rid of acne through food/workout? I have dropped on sugar and most refined meals. I also use stuff like Clearasil for my face. But I still have red sections on my face....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheShamrock View Post
    Ok so I was not to sure where to put this so I figured I would just put this here.
    We all agree that part of the game is looking good, and part of looking good is looking fit.
    Well I may not be a Master PUA or a Pick up guru (yet) but I am a health Guru so I thought I would put this up to help any guys who are looking to improve their physical image. Mainly because I have been running into a lot of guys lately at the gym who don't really know what they are doing at the gym. They just go from machine to machine not knowing what they are working on, sipping on a protein drink while they are working out.

Ok so the first step is to go spend the money and pick up a workout book. The 2 books that I have used is "The Platinum Workout by LL Cool J and the Built for Show Workout by Nate Green. Both are great books, LL Cool J's is a 22 week program and Built for Show is a year long program and also has some references to the Mystery Method in the book towards the end. Nothing that most of us dont know, but he does tell you how to dress to show what you have and hide what you don't. Either way both start off slow and in the end kick your ass.

You can choose to go with a different book but you shouldnt be spending more that 30 dollars on it, and make sure it has a nutrition plan or something in the book.

Now when you get the book make sure you actually read the material. Dont just jump right to the workout section because u have defeated the whole point of the book and your back to working out at the gym not really knowing anything. There is a lot of useful material in the pages, mainly on how to do the workouts. A little rule of thumb is, "Dont sacrifice form for weight" meaning if your doing bench press and you have to arc your back to get the weight up, your doing it wrong.

Next is to get on a healthy meal routine. I have one very strong recommendation for this and that is "CooK This Not That" not only does it help you eat healthy and teach you how to make you great food but it helps you save a ton of cash, which is a very good thing. It has every possible type of meal in their and usually I use these bomb as recipes to show some true DHV when I have a girl at my place. Like made from scratch chicken Parm, Dr. Pepper ribs, burgers, you name it. For some reason girls really like a guy that can cook good food. Plus the knowledge you will gain from this book about food easily shows DHV also. I have people asking me all the time about what is healthy and what is not.

The last thing I have to cover is supplements. The only thing I personally think you need is a Protein shake. You dont need NOexplode of Creatine. That stuff just ends up killing your insides. If you need a boost before you go to the gym drink a cup of coffee, studies prove that it boosts your metabolism before a work out.
    No, all you need is a decent protein shake. Simple way to make it enjoyable is to put the powder in a blender with a spoonful of yogurt, ice, about 6 oz of water, a banana and some blueberries. Tastes great. And try to make it so you have that 2 times a day.

This is really the basic of the basics right now to get you started. Do your best to stick to the routine, try not to fall out of it. there was an old saying for my high school football team "7 days makes one weak"

Hope this helps some of you guys, if you have any questions write them on here so everyone can see em
    For being a "health" guru your spewing an awful amount of bro science. Creatine is made naturally in your body and is even found in the foods we eat. It does not ruin your insides so I'd recommend doing your research before you start posting about stuff you have no idea what your talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also most diet sodas use artificial sweeteners that are known to cause cancer, so I would pick regular soda over diet any day. Or better, just drink water, it seriously tastes fine.

And protein shakes contain sugar, which stunt the effect of protein on your body. Post workout, it's better, imo, to get protein in pure form such as through tuna or salmon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's threads like this that make me really happy I found this forum. As much as guys put up a facade of being tough as nails, it's great to find a place where we can help out each other with honesty intensions.

All the above posted advice and tips are great, never knew LL could write a book

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk. Eat Snacky Smores.

Surprise Buttsex
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegymfreak View Post
    For being a "health" guru your spewing an awful amount of bro science. Creatine is made naturally in your body and is even found in the foods we eat. It does not ruin your insides so I'd recommend doing your research before you start posting about stuff you have no idea what your talking about.
    Please keep things civil, but this is correct. OP has some serious misconceptions about the basics.

See here:
    http://www.theattractionforums.com/c...4-17-08-a.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post

Do you also have some tips on how to get rid of acne through food/workout? I have dropped on sugar and most refined meals. I also use stuff like Clearasil for my face. But I still have red sections on my face....
    Apart from dropping the sugars and refined white breads you most likely have a vitamin deficiency. Look at Zinc for acne as well as a daily multi vitamin. There is actually a really good thread on here that covers this better than I could.
    http://www.theattractionforums.com/c...d-my-acne.html
    This^. Creatine is a naturally occurring amino acid in our bodies and foods, especially red meats. It won't have any real negative side effects apart from MAYBE making you bloat if you get the cheap stuff. There has been some anecdotal findings that Creatine supplements COULD mess with kidney function but the majority of research has shown its fine. As long as you don't have any prior kidney problems and stay within a reasonable dosage you should be fine. I'm currently taking 5g, on the days I lift, split up in 2 doses and my intestines haven't exploded...yet. However, I think OP's main point was that you don't need all of these different supplements that companies try to peddle nowadays which I would agree with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorangellow View Post
    Also most diet sodas use artificial sweeteners that are known to cause cancer, so I would pick regular soda over diet any day. Or better, just drink water, it seriously tastes fine.

And protein shakes contain sugar, which stunt the effect of protein on your body. Post workout, it's better, imo, to get protein in pure form such as through tuna or salmon.
    Known to cause cancer.... Do you chew gum? Because sugar free gum contains artificial sweetners as well . http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...ial-sweeteners Although I completely agree with the whole drinking water. That's pretty much what I drink exclusively nowadays.

Now, as for protein shakes... If you are so worried about sugar get powder and mix it up with water. Yes, muscle milk and the like has a lot of sugars in them. But you can get quality powder much cheaper and many barely have any sugars. And sugar doesn't stunt the effect of protein on your body; if anything sugar is beneficial post workout. If there is a "best" time to eat sugar it's post workout.

The problem with eating whole foods after a workout is the amount of time they take to digest. You want to get the protein to your muscles and replace your glycogen stores as quickly as possible after a grueling workout. Sugars spike your blood sugar levels giving you an insulin spike which shuttles the protein to your muscles. The carbs are also used to restore glycogen levels and are burned as energy to aid recovery.

I personally know a few body builders who eat candy (skittles, airheads, starburst etc) after working out. There have also been some pros who have been known to do it as well over the years. Would I personally suggest it? No, but the point is that it wont stunt your growth. You should definitely be consuming some sort of carbs post workout, particularly a fast acting one. Destrose and/or Gatorade powder is what I personally use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, exactly, are you using on your face - as in - what is the active ingredient, and how much are you using. Acne treatments like Salicylic acid, if overused, can cause redness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good website to help come up with a good meal plan? I've been working out but my diet fluctuates kinda and I hadn't thought about a meal plan till I saw the book suggestions above. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help

Tulsa, Ok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this statement. I also disagree with the statement about the NO explode/fury, or equivalent. I use Creatine, and NO as well as other vitamins. The L-arginine in the NO shake is a precursor to Nitric Oxide, which is absolutely beneficial to blood flow. You're getting oxygen through the water retention in your muscles from the Creatine, and the same through the increased blood flow caused by the NO. (Not to mention that this increased blood flow had a positive side effect of producing amazing wood)

While I agree, there is no "one size fits all" routine or diet, telling someone that you don't need certain supplements without knowing their goals, views and fitness level, would be like me telling someone that the Asian Martial Arts are shit, and that my discipline is the only truly effective form of self defense. Everyone is different. give them the information they so desire and let them choose for themselves.

This got off from the OP's original subject, a little bit but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in there anyway.

El Dorado Hills, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I would go to a dermatologist and get a prescription. That's what I did and it helped a LOT.

One random tip that has worked for me (and I thought this was bullshit until I tried it): put a fresh towel over your pillow every night. Flip for the next night, then use a new towel. This actually worked for me..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian409 View Post
    What's a good website to help come up with a good meal plan? I've been working out but my diet fluctuates kinda and I hadn't thought about a meal plan till I saw the book suggestions above. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help
    First thing you should do is figure out your daily caloric needs. There are a number of online calculators to figure this out. The mayo clinic has a pretty simple one and bodybuilding.com has an article with included calculator. Use the calculators as a general guideline when starting out, you'll most likely have to experiment with the numbers a bit. If you are trying to gain weight add 500 calories per day and if you are trying to lose weight subtract 500 calories per day. This will put you at gaining or losing about a pound per week. Weigh yourself once a week, same time same day (i.e. sunday morning), until you find out what your actual level is. Also realize that as you gain or lose weight your numbers will change. More muscle = higher metabolism and more calories burned.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm

You'll notice the bodybuilding.com calculator includes a nutrient ratio. There are so many different nutrient ratios out there. High carbs, low carbs, ketogenic, the golden ratio, etc. Once again you'll have to experiment until you find a ratio that works for you. Some people gain weight very easily and excess carbs can put on unwanted levels of bodyfat. Others have trouble gaining weight and can eat high amounts of carbs. I personally aim to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, whether I am bulking or cutting weight. Many days though I eat more than this and will go as high as 1.5 grams. My fat intake stays relatively the same as well at .5 grams per pound, sometimes a little less when cutting. The rest of my caloric needs I just fill with carbs. This is just what I have found works for me.

For arguments sake let's just say you start at a similar ratio. Say you weight 150 pounds and have decided on eating 3000 to gain a pound a week. That will put you at 150 grams of protein and 75 grams of fat per day. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, alcohol has 7 and fat has a whopping 9 calories per gram. So this will put you at 600 calories of protein and 675 calories of fat. The remaining 1725 calories would come from carbs, so roughly 431 grams. That's just an idea of how you would set it up. This wouldn't have to be a strict level. Say you ate 200 grams of protein, just subtract 50 grams from carbs.

You should try to split these calories up relatively equally over the day. Say you eat 3 meals. Each should be relatively balanced. Many suggest that you should be eating every 3 hours, myself included. While a good piece of advice it's not absolutely necessary though. Despite what many broscientists would have you believe; no you will not go catabolic and shrink away to nothing if you only eat 3 meals. Just make sure there is protein, carbs and fats in each meal and that you get your post workout nutrition in. I usually eat more carbs in the morning but don't be afraid to eat carbs after 6 p.m. or whatever; it's not going to magically turn to fat. To track your calories find an online food journal where you can log what you eat. When I started out I used Fitday until I got to a point where I could keep track of everything in my head.
    http://www.fitday.com/

As for what to eat...
    Good sources of protein:
    Chicken/Turkey, Tuna, Lean Red Meat, Shrimp, Other Fish (salmon, whitefish, etc), Pork Tenderloin, Nuts, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Protein Powder, Eggs, Beans, Milk, Yogurt
    Complex Carbohydrates:
    Oatmeal, Vegetables, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Bread, Whole Grain Pasta, Fruits, Beans, Potatoes
    Essential and healthy fats:
    Nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc), Fish, Olive/Peanut Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Avacados

If you find your numbers, decide on a nutrient ratio and then use this list to make up the majority of your calories you'll be off to a great start. And make sure you learn roughly what a serving size is by looking at it so you can keep track as close as possible.

Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me motivation and consitensy are the problems. I am currently putting in 42 hours at my job plus taking four graduate classes so it's just so hard to find the time in all this chaos. On top of everything I have this unfortunate intestinal ailment "Crohns Disease" which makes it very hard for me to consistently eat healthy because I have trouble digesting food. This really sucks because I really want to become more healthy and get in better shape but these obstacles make it hard. Also with that stomach issue I suffer from overwhelming fatigue way to much. I really want to find something that I can stick too throughout the week that can give me gains but nothing to time consuming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmuz View Post
    For me motivation and consitensy are the problems. I am currently putting in 42 hours at my job plus taking four graduate classes so it's just so hard to find the time in all this chaos. On top of everything I have this unfortunate intestinal ailment "Crohns Disease" which makes it very hard for me to consistently eat healthy because I have trouble digesting food. This really sucks because I really want to become more healthy and get in better shape but these obstacles make it hard. Also with that stomach issue I suffer from overwhelming fatigue way to much. I really want to find something that I can stick too throughout the week that can give me gains but nothing to time consuming.
    I understand with the busy schedule but the only thing I can really say is, make time. Not saying that to sound like a dick or anything but that's just the reality of it, you'll have to make time. Going to the gym 3 day's a week for 45 minutes to an hour is all you really need. Plus there are plenty of other in home programs you can try. I've never tried P90x but I have heard good things about it. So you may want to check that out. As you start seeing results your motivation will build and you'll want to continue.

As for the Crohn's Disease. I can't really offer any advice on that as I have no idea exactly what you go through and don't know anyone with the ailment. I'd just search around the web. A Google search brought this up. I just kinda glanced at em, not really sure if they'll be much help to you.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mana...ns_disease.htm
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=837701
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=135771061