Get in shape and eat right! - Page 2

FirstFirst 12

What's a good website to help come up with a good meal plan? I've been working out but my diet fluctuates kinda and I hadn't thought about a meal plan till I saw the book suggestions above. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help

Tulsa, Ok

Quote Originally Posted by thegymfreak View Post
    For being a "health" guru your spewing an awful amount of bro science. Creatine is made naturally in your body and is even found in the foods we eat. It does not ruin your insides so I'd recommend doing your research before you start posting about stuff you have no idea what your talking about.
    I agree with this statement. I also disagree with the statement about the NO explode/fury, or equivalent. I use Creatine, and NO as well as other vitamins. The L-arginine in the NO shake is a precursor to Nitric Oxide, which is absolutely beneficial to blood flow. You're getting oxygen through the water retention in your muscles from the Creatine, and the same through the increased blood flow caused by the NO. (Not to mention that this increased blood flow had a positive side effect of producing amazing wood)

While I agree, there is no "one size fits all" routine or diet, telling someone that you don't need certain supplements without knowing their goals, views and fitness level, would be like me telling someone that the Asian Martial Arts are shit, and that my discipline is the only truly effective form of self defense. Everyone is different. give them the information they so desire and let them choose for themselves.

This got off from the OP's original subject, a little bit but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in there anyway.

El Dorado Hills, CA

Quote Originally Posted by hunter77 View Post
    Do you also have some tips on how to get rid of acne through food/workout? I have dropped on sugar and most refined meals. I also use stuff like Clearasil for my face. But I still have red sections on my face....
    Honestly, I would go to a dermatologist and get a prescription. That's what I did and it helped a LOT.

One random tip that has worked for me (and I thought this was bullshit until I tried it): put a fresh towel over your pillow every night. Flip for the next night, then use a new towel. This actually worked for me..

4. Quote Originally Posted by Brian409 View Post
    What's a good website to help come up with a good meal plan? I've been working out but my diet fluctuates kinda and I hadn't thought about a meal plan till I saw the book suggestions above. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help
    First thing you should do is figure out your daily caloric needs. There are a number of online calculators to figure this out. The mayo clinic has a pretty simple one and bodybuilding.com has an article with included calculator. Use the calculators as a general guideline when starting out, you'll most likely have to experiment with the numbers a bit. If you are trying to gain weight add 500 calories per day and if you are trying to lose weight subtract 500 calories per day. This will put you at gaining or losing about a pound per week. Weigh yourself once a week, same time same day (i.e. sunday morning), until you find out what your actual level is. Also realize that as you gain or lose weight your numbers will change. More muscle = higher metabolism and more calories burned.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm

You'll notice the bodybuilding.com calculator includes a nutrient ratio. There are so many different nutrient ratios out there. High carbs, low carbs, ketogenic, the golden ratio, etc. Once again you'll have to experiment until you find a ratio that works for you. Some people gain weight very easily and excess carbs can put on unwanted levels of bodyfat. Others have trouble gaining weight and can eat high amounts of carbs. I personally aim to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, whether I am bulking or cutting weight. Many days though I eat more than this and will go as high as 1.5 grams. My fat intake stays relatively the same as well at .5 grams per pound, sometimes a little less when cutting. The rest of my caloric needs I just fill with carbs. This is just what I have found works for me.

For arguments sake let's just say you start at a similar ratio. Say you weight 150 pounds and have decided on eating 3000 to gain a pound a week. That will put you at 150 grams of protein and 75 grams of fat per day. Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, alcohol has 7 and fat has a whopping 9 calories per gram. So this will put you at 600 calories of protein and 675 calories of fat. The remaining 1725 calories would come from carbs, so roughly 431 grams. That's just an idea of how you would set it up. This wouldn't have to be a strict level. Say you ate 200 grams of protein, just subtract 50 grams from carbs.

You should try to split these calories up relatively equally over the day. Say you eat 3 meals. Each should be relatively balanced. Many suggest that you should be eating every 3 hours, myself included. While a good piece of advice it's not absolutely necessary though. Despite what many broscientists would have you believe; no you will not go catabolic and shrink away to nothing if you only eat 3 meals. Just make sure there is protein, carbs and fats in each meal and that you get your post workout nutrition in. I usually eat more carbs in the morning but don't be afraid to eat carbs after 6 p.m. or whatever; it's not going to magically turn to fat. To track your calories find an online food journal where you can log what you eat. When I started out I used Fitday until I got to a point where I could keep track of everything in my head.
    http://www.fitday.com/

As for what to eat...
    Good sources of protein:
    Chicken/Turkey, Tuna, Lean Red Meat, Shrimp, Other Fish (salmon, whitefish, etc), Pork Tenderloin, Nuts, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Protein Powder, Eggs, Beans, Milk, Yogurt
    Complex Carbohydrates:
    Oatmeal, Vegetables, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Bread, Whole Grain Pasta, Fruits, Beans, Potatoes
    Essential and healthy fats:
    Nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc), Fish, Olive/Peanut Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Avacados

If you find your numbers, decide on a nutrient ratio and then use this list to make up the majority of your calories you'll be off to a great start. And make sure you learn roughly what a serving size is by looking at it so you can keep track as close as possible.

Buffalo, NY

For me motivation and consitensy are the problems. I am currently putting in 42 hours at my job plus taking four graduate classes so it's just so hard to find the time in all this chaos. On top of everything I have this unfortunate intestinal ailment "Crohns Disease" which makes it very hard for me to consistently eat healthy because I have trouble digesting food. This really sucks because I really want to become more healthy and get in better shape but these obstacles make it hard. Also with that stomach issue I suffer from overwhelming fatigue way to much. I really want to find something that I can stick too throughout the week that can give me gains but nothing to time consuming.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dmuz View Post
    For me motivation and consitensy are the problems. I am currently putting in 42 hours at my job plus taking four graduate classes so it's just so hard to find the time in all this chaos. On top of everything I have this unfortunate intestinal ailment "Crohns Disease" which makes it very hard for me to consistently eat healthy because I have trouble digesting food. This really sucks because I really want to become more healthy and get in better shape but these obstacles make it hard. Also with that stomach issue I suffer from overwhelming fatigue way to much. I really want to find something that I can stick too throughout the week that can give me gains but nothing to time consuming.
    I understand with the busy schedule but the only thing I can really say is, make time. Not saying that to sound like a dick or anything but that's just the reality of it, you'll have to make time. Going to the gym 3 day's a week for 45 minutes to an hour is all you really need. Plus there are plenty of other in home programs you can try. I've never tried P90x but I have heard good things about it. So you may want to check that out. As you start seeing results your motivation will build and you'll want to continue.

As for the Crohn's Disease. I can't really offer any advice on that as I have no idea exactly what you go through and don't know anyone with the ailment. I'd just search around the web. A Google search brought this up. I just kinda glanced at em, not really sure if they'll be much help to you.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mana...ns_disease.htm
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=837701
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=135771061