PDA

View Full Version : Who understands frame control completely?

TopDown
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi all,

There is a lot of information about this (yes, i already used the search;)), but I don't understand it completely.

I looked at a few definitions of frame, and this is the most commonly accepted one: A frame is the underlying assumption of an interaction.

For instance: a common frame people talk about, is the frame of being the prize. If you want to be viewed as the prize in an interaction, you have to set the frame of being the prize. This can be done via a bunch of techniques, routines and lines (which i will not get in to right now).

After you've set the frame of (for instance) being the prize, you want to keep it. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is where frame control comes in.
Again allow me to define it first. Frame control is, to be in control of the underlying assumption of an interaction.

Hopefully I am so far so good. If not; please correct/add to this.
Ok, here is where my questions arise.

1) Am I correct if I say that in order to keep control of the frame, you have to re-frame- or disacknowledge the things that do not fit into your frame?
2) Are there more ways to keep control of the frame, then re-framing & disacknowledging?
3) What is the difference between being dominant and controlling the frame? (is there at all a difference?!)

These are the questions I have about this subject. Hopefully there is someone who can awnser these 3 questions (I am especially interested in the last one). Thanks in advance! :)

Vapor
02-10-2009, 08:17 AM
3) What is the difference between being dominant and controlling the frame? (is there at all a difference?!)
You can control frame by ignoring things that don't help you. Ignoring and dominating are not the same thing.

There's an LSI interview on Frame Control you may want to check out.

TopDown
02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice distinction! :)
Isn't it fair to say that ignoring topics or statement, by continiung to talk about your own topic or cutting the thread with a new one of your own, is in a way dominating?

Vapor, thanks for the reply. I am gonna check out the LSi interview.
If someone else has new insights, feel free to reply ;)

Prestige
02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I think it depends on the situation. I mean you can maintain your frame in a mutually participative conversation without dominating the conversation. Or it a more challenging set you might find yourself so bombarded with oposition that you are forced to dominate the conversation to maintain your frame. But by no means does any of this necessarily make you the dominant person in the group. You can dominate the conversation and still have your target ripped away by some agro male who gets upset with your dominating him in the conversation. He has value to the target as a long time friend and is the dominant person in her circle. So to answer that question I would say in logic that at sometimes it can be the same thing but it is not always the same thing.

Basically Yes
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
In my opinion everything from your body movements to what you say is constructing the frame; and those things are going to change depending on who you're interacting with.
Overall you're going to be acting the same with each person but you have to somewhat calibrate your actions to the person you're talking with in order to keep the correct frame.

I think if you stop and think about what the current frame is you'll get an idea of where it's at and what you need to do to fix/maintain it.

TopDown
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks 'Prestige' and 'Basically Yes'.

Does the following sum up the way you guys think (might be unconsiously) in set?

Basically:
1. Know which frames you find useful and which frames will work for you and which frames will work against you.
2. Set the frames by the use of routines, lines, etc.
3. Ensure to keep the frame.
- As long as the frame isn't challenged, frame control means maintaining the frame.
- When the frame is challenged, frame control means keeping the frame with the use of re-framing or disacknowledging/ignoring.

Does this sum up the concept of frames/frame control and is this the correct way of looking at it?
It looks easy if you look at the steps, but I still find it hard to have the correct respons sometimes (I am unable to come up with a re-frame, respond when ignoring was a better option, etc).
I quess this can only be fixed with practice or are there some shortcuts? ;)