PDA

View Full Version : Incongruence - a lesson from the TV show "Friends"

Hysteria
04-2006-14, 10:17 AM
If any of you are obsessed with the TV show "Friends" as I am, you'll know that Joey is the closest thing to a venusian artist and Ross is the furthest on the show.
In a particular episode, Ross is going through a dry spell. He hasn't had sex in six months and he needs Joey to help him. Joey tells Ross about his "Europe story" which he uses whenever he wants to seduce a woman. Here is the script.
Joey: Years ago, when I was backpacking across Western Europe...
Ross: (laughs) You were backpacking across Western Europe?
Joey: Have a nice six more months Ross! (Starts to leave.)
Ross: (stopping him) Okay! Okay! Okay. I’m sorry. Please, please, you were in Western Europe and?
Joey: (seductive voice) I was just outside Barcelona hiking in the foothills of Mount Tibidabo. I was at the end of this path and I came to a clearing and there was a lake, very secluded. And there were tall trees all around. (Whispering) It was dead silent. Gorgeous. (Softly) And across the lake I saw... a beautiful woman... bathing herself... but she was crying...
Ross uses this story on his date with a woman. He is completely incongruent. He is not selling the story. You can tell he is nervous in the delivery. The date bombs.
He goes back to Joey and says the story sucks. Joey remarks that it's not the story that sucks, it's the delivery that is important. He asks Ross to demonstrate it. It comes off incongruently again.
Joey: Well you’re not selling the story! It’s like; it’s like you don’t believe it! Look, I gotta go. I got a date, but try this. Do what I do when I’m preparing for an audition. Okay? I’ll set you up with my video camera and you can record yourself and see what you’re doing wrong.
Ross: I’ll try that.

FusterCluck
04-2006-14, 10:26 AM
i always felt sad for chandler... he's like the real funny guy who always ends up in the LJBF zone
agree on selling the story though, i once told a story about my mailman delivering the mail (really boring story). but told it in a very excited/thrilling way and it worked perfectly... it all depends on how you convey the story and your level of excitement, most of the time it doesnt even matter what you're saying.

Hysteria
04-2006-14, 10:36 AM
Chandler has other relationship issues stemming from his childhood that affect him and uses humour as a defense mechanism. He has some inner work to do.
Quite honestly, I'm surprised that Joey grew up with what, 7 or 8 sisters and a drunken father, and turned out the way he is. Of course, it's just a TV show, but hey...

streako
04-2006-14, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I loved Friends. could never quite decide which one of the girls I would most want to sleep with.
Ah, never mind, I'll just take them all...

doc
04-2006-14, 03:06 PM
Dude,
how can you feel bad for Chandler..he`s fucking Monica !!!
And, Joey knows he`s a cocksmith...Ross knows he`s an anthropologist.
Hmmmmm...who`s getting laid more ?
Congruent thoughts.
Nice one Hysteria.