PDA

View Full Version : Good materials for learning to dance?

Vypros
01-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I would like to learn how to dance, but I really don't have the money to take dancing lessons, but I could front some cash for a DVD (or a few DVDs) that I can work with.

I don't really want to be like Michael Flatley or shit like that, but I would like to learn enough to where I can get on the dance floor and feel semi-confident in my dancing ability.

Right now, I suck at dancing....HARD.

So, do any of you know of any good DVDs that are geared towards teaching GUYS how to dance?

I say "guys" because a year or so ago I ordered some DVDs for dancing off of Amazon, and the moves were really more girly than for guys.

Cedar
01-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I would like to learn how to dance, but I really don't have the money to take dancing lessons, but I could front some cash for a DVD (or a few DVDs) that I can work with.

Join a gym. Take step aerobics classes. It'll build your footwork and a few arm moves. Next find a community dance studio in town. Or a community ed class. You can get decent dance lessons for under $10 a shot.

2-3 classes and you'll be better than 80% of the boys on the dance floor.

After that, be confident and f*cking dance.

puaupside
01-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure what kind of cable package you have at home, but there's this channel called BPM that's dedicated to dance music. They usually have a slew of instructional shows on there demonstrating some moves you can use out in the club.

Pony Boy
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
i would suggest going "out in the field" :P. being a good dancer has ALOT to do with confidence than actual dance moves.

i "work" as a dancer, and i also teach alot of people. i can tell who is going to be a good dancer before i turn on the music. them thinking they can't dance is all in their head. it's the self-consciousness that hinders them going all out on the floor.

but if you wanna learn actual technique without paying for classes...i would suggest making friends[men or women] who know how to dance and ask them. it helps you be more social than just watching it through a DVD.[which gives you the basics, but most people i see who learn through video tutorials have an awkwardness about them that i can sense] joining a gym is DEFINITELY a good idea...the classes give you teachers that'll give you pointers, and you still get to be social.

PULS3
01-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Are you talking about dancing by yourself like club dancing?

Or are you talking about couples dancing like salsa or swing?

Vypros
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Are you talking about dancing by yourself like club dancing?

Or are you talking about couples dancing like salsa or swing?

Dancing by myself.

Although I wouldn't mind learning salsa and the other stuff, but I am a realist. I realize I'm going to need a partner for that. :D

I'm just looking for something to give me a starting point and get enough confidence to get out and actually do it.

"Just going out and doing it" or taking a community class or having a friend show me isn't going to work for me until I can muster up enough confidence in my dancing to not feel like a fool. Basically, I'm SO bad at dancing that I need something to at least boost my confidence enough to actually go and do the other things you guys are suggesting.

And you guys are right, it is in my head and I have reinforced it enough to where it's really hard to undo it. I kind of need some training wheels here is essentially what I'm saying.

PULS3
01-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Well I would definitely suggest just going to your nearest dance studio and take a hip hop class. But if you think you're that bad (which I seriously doubt you are because I teach dance and I've never seen anyone dance so bad it was embarassing. It's a class after all. You don't not go to school because you don't know math.) go on Youtube and look up club dancing and hardstyle on the Internet for a more club based dance.

Remember it also depends on what style of dance you're into. Hip hop, breakdancing, hardstyle, jazz, etc.

And take Salsa, it's fun. You don't need a partner as there are almost always people there that you can dance with at the class.

PULS3
01-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Well I would definitely suggest just going to your nearest dance studio and take a hip hop class. But if you think you're that bad (which I seriously doubt you are because I teach dance and I've never seen anyone dance so bad it was embarassing. It's a class after all. You don't not go to school because you don't know math.) go on Youtube and look up club dancing and hardstyle on the Internet for a more club based dance.

Remember it also depends on what style of dance you're into. Hip hop, breakdancing, hardstyle, jazz, etc.

And take Salsa, it's fun. You don't need a partner as there are almost always people there that you can dance with at the class.

Vypros
01-15-2009, 06:07 AM

Yeah. I just meant that learning salsa isn't something I could learn from a DVD, whereas dancing by myself I could get a few moves down.

paper mate
01-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Imho if you just go to the club and start dancing in your own randomish style and don't give a f**k about people looking at you, and just enjoy yourself thats gonna be a DHV.

Well if you just wanna learn how to dance for your own satisfaction, then just go and learn=)

PULS3
01-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Imho if you just go to the club and start dancing in your own randomish style and don't give a f**k about people looking at you, and just enjoy yourself thats gonna be a DHV.

Well if you just wanna learn how to dance for your own satisfaction, then just go and learn=)

I just want to note real quick here,

Yes dancing by yourself is a DHV...

But it turns into a strong DLV if you dance by yourself for too long. I used to use dancing to up my value when I would start a little circle and I'd be dancing in the middle. However, if I danced like this during the whole night it would actually lower my value and I'd lock myself out of sets. The key here is to dance like no one is watching but do this for only a short amount of time. Also make sure you DANCE WITH GIRLS. Dance by yourself for a while to up your value and then go by a girl and say, "High Five!!!" do a spin move, hug her then throw her off you and say "okay get off of me." blah blah stack into your next routine.

Basically Yes
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
This is probably going to be the unpopular opinion:

Just pick out a cool / high value guy at the club and watch what he does. In all likely-hood he doesn't even dance unless it's with a girl, or if he's not then maybe slightly moving his body back and forth to the music...and when he dances with a girl it's just slight subtle movments back and forth and grinding.

Unless he's a really good dancer I rarely (if ever) see a guy who doesn't look like a tool when he's doing actual dance "moves" at a club. It's like why the hell are you taking this so serious.

Real dancing like salsa or if you go to a raver type club is totally different, dancing there is high value.

Notebook
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I just want to note real quick here,

Yes dancing by yourself is a DHV...

But it turns into a strong DLV if you dance by yourself for too long. I used to use dancing to up my value when I would start a little circle and I'd be dancing in the middle. However, if I danced like this during the whole night it would actually lower my value and I'd lock myself out of sets.

That's very true. Dance by yourself, but don't be in your own little world. If you're looking good out there, girls will be eye fucking you. Don't miss those opportunities.

As for the above post, (correct me if I'm wrong here) you're basically saying don't take up dancing as a way to DHV. High value guys dance because it's what their girl wants to do, or because it's a way to approach, but they don't put any effort into it because they'd rather blend into the dance floor than stand out.

On the other hand, I have a few friends who DO lay down some rehearsed moves, and they pull it off really really well. And it's not necessarily because they are well rehearsed, but because it's their own unique style. It's like a peacock in the form of dancing. If no one's dancing when they arrive, they get the party started, and by the end of the night, plenty of chodes have tried to imitate their style because it's attracting so much attention.

Pony Boy
01-15-2009, 03:11 PM
don't worry about DHV or DLV...HAVE FUN. :P

about notebook's comment on dancing by yourself...that is very true. i personally like getting circles goin on in clubs filled with random people and my "wingmen"[ie bboy crew]. i dance by myself in the middle and just play with the music...i'm not necessarily breakdancing the entire time because i don't need to breakdance to impress people. often times i'll get a girl going into the middle of the circle challenging me with her eyes, and i can't back down from a challenge...either that or she'll try to grind on me while i'm on the outside. it's win-win. i guess TECHNICALLY i am dancing by myself, but i'm still controlling the crowd by starting the circle, pushing girls i don't know into the middle, and 'battling' random people. it's all about having FUN. :]

as for taking dance classes...seriously...go for it. it doesn't DLV. you can take ONE salsa class, then tell a girl you want to take her salsa dancing to practice the moves you learned in class. the fact that you are taking a class shows that you are MOTIVATED. then in a woman's mind that goes onto an endless string of positive implications.

edit: also, there are those guys that can't dance for shit who go into the circle doing their best parody of the robot or bboying...but they still get girls. why? because they are FUN.

TheAssman
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Check youtube too. I have been attempting to better myself on the dance floor and I've found some pretty good videos that at least get you moving decently enough to have a good time without feeling self-conscious.

Sincerelee
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Watch the movie, "Hitch". Will Smith offers good advice about dancing to Kevin James. The basic is to find the tempo of the song and count, "One...Two...Three...Four..."
On "One" you step left slightly with your left foot.
On "Two" step left with your right foot.
On "Three" step to the right with your left foot.
On "Four" step slightly to the right with your right foot.

It is just like marching.
Left - 1
Right - 2
Left - 3
Right - 4

Keep your hands open and to the sides, elbows bent 90 degrees.

Don't snap your fingers.
Don't bite your lip.
Just smile and enjoy her jirations. Do that and, as Cedar said, you'll be better than 80% of the guys out there.

If you have trouble with the rhythm, take an intro to ballroom dancing. You kino women within 5 minutes because ballroom dancing requires holding women real close. It is all LRLRLRLRLR, so you will learn in an hour the rhythm to dance to any song.

For fun, I have gone to clubs, asked to dance and foxtrotted to reggae, blues, techno, just about anything that you can find a steady beat.

Basically Yes
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Watch the movie, "Hitch". Will Smith offers good advice about dancing to Kevin James. The basic is to find the tempo of the song and count, "One...Two...Three...Four..."
On "One" you step left slightly with your left foot.
On "Two" step left with your right foot.
On "Three" step to the right with your left foot.
On "Four" step slightly to the right with your right foot.

It is just like marching.
Left - 1
Right - 2
Left - 3
Right - 4

Keep your hands open and to the sides, elbows bent 90 degrees.

Don't snap your fingers.
Don't bite your lip.
Just smile and enjoy her jirations. Do that and, as Cedar said, you'll be better than 80% of the guys out there.

If you have trouble with the rhythm, take an intro to ballroom dancing. You kino women within 5 minutes because ballroom dancing requires holding women real close. It is all LRLRLRLRLR, so you will learn in an hour the rhythm to dance to any song.

For fun, I have gone to clubs, asked to dance and foxtrotted to reggae, blues, techno, just about anything that you can find a steady beat.

This sounds about right.

Roly
03-16-2009, 04:33 AM
I think there are 2 parts to dancing. Actually having rhythm and some moves, which is dancing by yourself. And dancing in front of other people at a club with everyone looking, which is 99% confidence.

So I hear what you're saying. You want to learn basic moves/rhythm FIRST before you just go out on the floor and make a fool of yourself. I think that's wise, because dancing with confidence is a huge DHV. But dancing terribly with no rhythm or confidence is a MAJOR DLV.

I agree with the other poster, Youtube!! Search for "Hip Hop dance moves". I love this guy, he's good. He teaches you VERY SIMPLE moves and breaks it down super slow so you can't miss it:

YouTube - Hip Hop Dance Moves : Sideway Body Rolls in Hip Hop Dancing