PDA

View Full Version : pre-selection/social proof testing

mikeyb10supra
01-11-2009, 03:03 AM
I have been messing about on a few dating websites lately and trying a few little tests to see if there is any validity with online dating operating the same as gaming outside the internet. I basically setup 2 accounts to test the theory of social proof and pre selection in an online scenario.

Here's what I did. I basically setup 2 accounts, one with only pictures of me and my car and the other was setup with a few pics of me on my own and more pics of me with hot girl friends either side of me. The first account has a picture of me only as the main profile picture. The second has me with two particularly hot freind of mine either side of me clinging on to each arm. Note......the profile discriptions are identically worded, its only the pictures that are different

Now the two things I monitored were women messaging me and also the women that rate my profile picture out of ten for both accounts I set up.

In short the account with me and my two hot freinds shits over the one setup with just pictures of me on my own. I would say a ratio of 5:1 in terms of messages being sent to me

For the picture rating application thing thats on the site, my average rating for the pic where I am on my own is 7.88 and the one with my two friends 9.12.

So in short, social proof is dynamite even on-line. I was never really a believer until I started using this when im out in bars and clubs and seeing it work even online makes me a believer in its attraction powers.

Mikey

Dagon
01-11-2009, 05:27 AM
I liked your scientific approach of things. It seems that pre-selection is the most powerful attraction switch (except being famous of course).

Smooth88
01-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Nice test, although I could have told you that beforehand :)