PDA

View Full Version : The Shut Up Challenge

Tenmagnet
01-08-2009, 04:18 PM
In a previous post here, I talk about the "Silence Exercise" (http://www.theattractionforums.com/discussion/86806-running-out-things-say.html#post539248)

Anyway, I thought that I would start a little challenge to the guys on the forum, do the Silence Exercise on at least ONE set, every time you go out, and report back here.

The person with the best Field Report will get a free 1/2 hour phone consultation from me. Bonus points for guys who post hilarious and ridiculous conversations.

What is the Silence Exercise?

I mention it in a previous post (link (http://www.theattractionforums.com/discussion/86806-running-out-things-say.html#post539248)), but basically, the purpose of this exercise is to develop your non-verbal communication skills, and learn to handle awkward silences in conversations, by talking as LITTLE as possible in set, without getting blown out.

Basically, it goes like this: You open normally, or go in as a wingman. Once the set is engaged in the conversation (the "hook" point), you start playing. The goal is to talk as LITTLE as possible, without losing the set. You'll probably be surprised to see how WELL you can do while hardly saying anything.

In order to communicate, you're allowed (and encouraged) to do the following things.

- You can talk a bit - try and keep it to three word sentences or less. Cryptic and "deep" sounding stuff is great. Also, saying half a thought and trailing off works really well too "I noticed something...." etc.

- Focus on bodylanguage. Being locked in is really important for this exercise.

- Questions are OK. I know we're usually against asking too many questions, but you can ask questions in this game. You need to ask open-ended questions though, because if you ask a closed-ended question, your conversation will die quick.

- Speak slowly and with emotion. Creating maximum impact out of every word is important.

- Use eye contact and facial expressions to try and prompt more talk from your targets. Instead of asking her a question, or making a comment on something she said, just try raising an eyebrow and giving a quizzical look. The more you can communicate without talking, the more you're learning.

And post your results here!

hness000
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Yo tenmag,

I didn't do the actual challenge but I have consciously been shutting the fuck up more recently. It's helped out a lot, since I used to talk too much and now I have more intrigue and sexual presence. I've also noticed that I've been more aggressive on the kino out of necessity, which has been a big sticking point for me.

Anyways, I'll do that challenge a bunch of times this coming week (inauguration week in DC- bars open 24 hrs baby). I'll post the best story here when I'm done, then i'm coming after your ass for that phone consultation.

Basically Yes
01-14-2009, 08:04 AM
This is a cool idea to have everyone do the exercise and give a little bonus prize along with it. You guys should hold one of these every couple of months or so. When's the cut-off date?

Phateless
01-14-2009, 08:09 AM
this should be good.

HumorUS
01-14-2009, 08:52 AM
::chuckles:: This should be fun..

Tenmagnet
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Sweet...

I was talking with Cajun about this when we were filming our Video Podcast (one of which should be up soon), and apparently he's played this game a few times with DaHunter.

His best three-word opener: "Phil Collins.... yes???"

My best one, used in London (and it worked!) was "You like Salad?"... followed a few seconds later with a very curious "Why...?". What's hilarious is that she actually answered that question for 2 or 3 minutes :)

puaupside
01-14-2009, 10:57 AM
sounds like a great experiment and skills building exercise

silverghost
01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I tried this the other day on 2 sets. You ll be amazed what 3 words can make a woman say...

"So your story?"

Haha try this you ll remember me. The girls kept talking for like 30 minutes lol

Basically Yes
01-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Ok so I tried this one time last night as I was about to leave because I had just remembered, I literally gave no thought to it at all, saw the first cute girl (around an 8) and started up. This is the best I remember it:

*girl is sitting on a bar stool at a karaoke bar with her friend who said nothing the entire time except for giggle a few times*

Me: "Abortion. You game?"

Her: "What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

Me: "Right or wrong?"

Her: "Abortion? who gives a fuck this isn't hte place to talk about that."

Me: "I think...[I forgot I could only say 3 words and didn't want to cheat] alot"

Her: "Are you high?"

Me: "I like abortion."

Her: *she actually laughed slightly here but that may have been because her friend was cracking up* "Well good for you, please leave you're making me uncomfortable."

Me: "What's your opinion?"

Her: "I'm not going to talk about this here, I'm trying to have fun."

Me: *walking off* "I'm aborting you."

Her: "Good"

Me: *turned back around* "so...abortion good?" [I don't know why I said it like a caveman, I could have just said "so abortion's good?"]

Her: "Are you American or is this like your second language?"

At this point it was going nowhere so I told her that I was only allowed to say three words to her the entire time. She thought that was funny, we talked a little bit and I shoved off. She was cute but had bad teeth and that's a deal breaker with me.

I'm going to try it a few times tonight and see how it goes. I need to actually think of something good to open with.

Tenmagnet
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Lol... ^^^ this is classic... hilarious.

Alright, first of all you get massive props for making me laugh. But I think the "abortion opener" can probably be safely canned. I don't think there's any way you can build attraction and comfort with a woman by talking about abortion.

Best lines:

Me: "I think...[I forgot I could only say 3 words and didn't want to cheat] alot"

Her: "Are you high?"

Me: "I like abortion."

LSUzealot
01-18-2009, 07:36 PM
i lol'd at 'i'm aborting you'

Phateless
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
3 words?

"power puff girl."

jesseelite
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Abortion opener funny.

CoupDeNH
01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I lol'd at the abortion conversation. I'm going to try this.

hness000
01-22-2009, 04:12 AM
So I'm living history and having a great time in DC this week, and I decide to celebrate the inauguration of the man with the silver tongue by shutting the fuck up.

I'm winging my friend in a two-set, and the obstacle - a petite but feisty little Filipino girl - is immediately intoxicated by my swagger and starts flirting with me hard.

I tell her I wanna show her something cool and iso her to another part of the venue.

I take her to a corner, turn around, lean back against a fireplace and look into her eyes for like 10 seconds until she gets a little uneasy and says something:

HB: What is it?
Me: <pause> Tell me more.
HB: <laughs> tell you more about what?
Me: You...Tell me more

When I say this, I put my hands on her shoulders, bend my head down a little with a curious smile to communicate to her that I want her to tell me more about herself. After I say it, I lean back against the wall like I'm waiting for her to respond to the most obvious question in the world.

HB: uugghh....well... I was born and raised in the Philippines until I was ten and moved to blah blah blah...

I start to shake my head and say "no, no, no". Then I grab her more earnestly then before then touch both of our hearts and say: "Tell me more."

HB: Uuughhh... I don't know what you want me to say.

This whole time, I'm kino escalating like crazy, and by this point, the girl's body temperature is so high steam was coming out of her ears, and she was eyeing me like I was a piece of steak.

I decide to go for the kill. I give her the little devil look for a good 5 seconds. Then I wrap her around the waist and slowly close the distance between us.

I bring one hand up to grab the back of her head and cock it up towards me, stare deeper into her hypnotized little puppy dog eyes, and with an ever-so slight grin on my face, I hit her with the grand finale:

Me: Yes...We...Can

Next thing I know she's sucking my face off like I'd just been sworn in as leader of the Free World.

God Bless America.

Basically Yes
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
http://globalnerdy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/picard_ashamed.jpg

Tenmagnet
01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I bring one hand up to grab the back of her head and cock it up towards me, stare deeper into her hypnotized little puppy dog eyes, and with an ever-so slight grin on my face, I hit her with the grand finale:

Me: Yes...We...Can

Next thing I know she's sucking my face off like I'd just been sworn in as leader of the Free World.

Haha, this is awesome! I actually wrote a little post on it in my blog.

Shut Up Challenge Update | Tenmagnet - Mystery Method Corp. (http://www.tenmagnet.com/2009/01/22/shut-up-challenge-update/)

HRHughes
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
"i like abortion"

"saves money, time"

Spinstorm
01-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Seeing as I gave you this idea... Can you teach me how to open a beer can with my teeth please?

Lone Star Driller
01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey TenMagnet. I am in your Austin bootcamp this weekend. I definitely need to work on my body language. We going to give this a shot in the field?

Tenmagnet
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey TenMagnet. I am in your Austin bootcamp this weekend. I definitely need to work on my body language. We going to give this a shot in the field?

We could - but I'm only going to prescribe it if I think it's what will help you most. I usually don't let students pick what they're going to learn - I tell them what they need to know :) I do that because usually students are pretty bad at identifying their own sticking points... after all, if you were really good at identifying problems in your game, you'd probably have fixed them by now.

Fresh23
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I like this game.Ill give it a try and try to get it recorded on camera or something for full out proof.

Basically Yes
01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I like this game.Ill give it a try and try to get it recorded on camera or something for full out proof.

good idea, I'm going to try and get this too

Fresh23
02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Here goes my storie Tenmagnet, I opened a three set but went straight to the girl that I Wanted to approached an hb7 .This location was at a party so it was quite social.

Fresh23:Are you drunk?
HB7Britney:No not at all im sober as a dog
fresh23:A dog eww
HB7Britney: haha no.
Slap my arm,Kino
Fresh23:that five dollar
HB7Britney:for hitting you ?
fresh23:yeah Im expensive, lol
HB7Britney: blah blah goes off about how she and her friend picked up some baby blinkie
Fresh23:Im adopting you
HB7Britney:what why ,
fresh23:cause I say
HB7Britney:ok were we going
Fresh23 :A quieter place
Hb7:ooo i like your cowboy hat .
Fresh23:So do I, lol
HB7:let me see it
Fresh23:(point to my cheek) , kiss me .....
HB7:she kissed me on the cheek .

I notice that in this whole challenge I did a lot of kino.Face expression was also very important as well.I did some NLP that involve no speaking.It was difficult .But three word challenge was tougher then I thought .So I took some picture with her .My friend recorded on camera in the beginning before I Isolated the target.But the Idiot didn't know he tape over it later on.Overall this was a great experience but tough.I also manage to number close her .

Tenmagnet
02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Sweet, we have another success story... Good stuff fresh.

I actually got an email from someone about the Shut Up Challenge... apparently this guy is in China and can't access the forums, because we're blocked by the "great firewall".

Anyway, here's what he wrote me.

Related Thoughts"

The 80/20 rule states that only 20% of input accounts for 80% of output. To optimize effectiveness, you should reduce the clutter and invest all your resources (time, money, energy, etc.) only in the the activities with the highest yield.

In the past few months, I've applied this philosophy of reductionism and simplicity to almost every aspect of my life with amazing results. It never occurred to me though, to apply it to my game. That is until I discovered natural game.

I read once that less than ten percent of communication is verbal. The tone of your voice, your facial expressions and your body language account for the rest of it. That means developing your BL has a much higher rate of return than developing your routine stack.

Before, I developed my game by internalizing more routines. Now I do it by identifying my ideal personal image and tweaking my BL to communicate it more effectively. Each time I go out, I focus on communicating more higher value with fewer words (hence the power of the silence exercise).

Cajun and Tenmagnet's work in the development of natural game and advanced body language is the first manifestation of the 80/20 rule in Game development. It's no surprise then that natural game is the most effective way for one to develop his game.

Indeed, Cajun's article on advanced body language has done more to improve my game than the sum of all the books, articles, manuals, and forum posts I've read before it.

Girls aren't attracted by what you say, they're attracted by what you communicate. To master the Game is to master the most powerful media of human communication- non-verbal communication.

PS - Check out Timothy Ferriss's book, The Four Hour Work Week for more on the 80/20 rule.

lollydama
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Cantina in FW, opened by HB after solid eye contact, she moves from her seat and plants herself next to my friend an myself, my friend is between her and I at this point. we gaze at eachother (the girl, paleeese) a few more times and look deeply at eachother, she is with a guy I assume is her boyfriend, turns out he is just a coworker, anyway she breaks silence by looking at my friend and saying how are you guys, I reply the usual fine how are you. biting my tongue now. concentrating on body language and eye contact, nonetheless need to have SOME conversation so I can be silent(?) and ask her for directions to a nearby club that I just left so I can act surprised and shake my head alot! she continues to explain how to get there and how cool it is and reccomends a few other places.. I am nodding and smiling with deep eye contact as I have her undressed to her bra and panties, and she feels it! and keeps looking at me up and down- almost 3 mins of silence for me, thats longer than my sex already! (thats a joke) anyway as luck would have it a carmen electra look alike is suddenly sitting across the bar where she was sitting originally and I start with her ... she notice's me and a new set is started with the eyes. I decide to hit the head so I can pass her, and when I come out I go sit next to the look alike and ask what she is eating, she says queso, and I say hmmmmm. and dive into her chips, and help myself..not saying a work I look at her like, you can't believe I just did that do you? she looks at me in slight shock stops her hand from feeding herself for a brief moment and I continues to smile and chew, we never break eyes, then her hand continues to her mouth and she has a sudden look of ..oh.. well he's comfortable , I'm ok with it, I could tell she didn't know what to think at first. and she asks if I live around here. I say "sort of" and continue to help myself with her chips and queso, she asks me if I ever go to the ritz and I shake my head yes while I'm chewing... but I need to say something soon before I look like I was only after her chips! so I reply yea was there last night,(lie) she starts telling me how she goes to this place ll the time but most of the guys are dueshebags (however it's spelled) now I really like this girl! at this point I look at my friend and first chick across the bar where I was sitting and she is looking at me like why are you over there now, so I need to get back to her if I want a shot at her, and tell the carmen electra look alike I have to go back to my friends and will come back in a few, she asks me my name, and we introduce ourselves to eachother. I walk away smiling she keeps eyecontact until I am 5 ft away. I stand by first chick and she grabs my arm and says I thought you were lost. I say no I just ran into a girl I met in dallas last week, how weird is that , I mean what a small town huh!. she starts talking, I am not hearing much of what she is really saying but I continue to look interested, and get in her space a little closer..well actually can't get any closer without kissing her. I ask her who her friend is, and shut up and she talks for another 2 mins. while I look ..well interested, because she is only wearing a bra and panties as far as I'm concerned. I do remember her saying somthing about killing a hamster?? this is killing me because I'm usually very quick witted, and have to pass on several jokes to maintain silence.
now I am looking back at the other side of the bar at the other chick and she is eyeing me to come back along with her friend, 15 mins has passed and my friend wants to leave. I say wait, and I excuse myself from blondie to go back over to carmen electra clone, and go back. and ask her if she lives nearby, then her friend is looking at me confused and I ask her if I was monopolizing her friend,(C E Clone) and she says NO WAY.. take her.! I say.,, OK where should we go around here. she laughs and I say "no really, I don't know my way around this town" her friend starts telling me all the places we can go and C E Clone says I know where we should go, but won't your girlfriend over there have something to say about it, I tell her I just met her and she says.. thats cool. with a big smile! I am in heaven with barely any words now. but I tell her she will have to drive because I came with my friend. she says we should meet at the ritz at a later date then because she walked here, I say cool nice meeting you I'll talk to you thurs. she says you better. I never asks for numbers anymore, it's always a waste of time for me anyway. if they want me to call at this point they usually offer it, or I always see em somewhere else and either Fclose, or get number, just depends on how many guys they met since the last time I saw them and if I can pump attraction back to a reasonable level. my goal is to not talk much tonight and see how much interest I can convey and have conveyed back. I feel really good about both directions here . I go back to Blondie, and we do chat for a min solid, and I say well we have to go , my friend wants to go to this other pace, she gives me her number... without asking.. and tells me to let her know how my evening went.
I call her the next day at 5 pm, she says OH is this ***** (my name) I say yes and she says I thought you would have called sooner.( i'm thinkin.. shit it's the next day what the fuck do you want and makes me feel like I blew it for not calling sooner) she says I am showing a house can I call you when I am thru? I say sure, sounds great, and we hang up.. never heard back.. maybe I should have said more!

We could - but I'm only going to prescribe it if I think it's what will help you most. I usually don't let students pick what they're going to learn - I tell them what they need to know :) I do that because usually students are pretty bad at identifying their own sticking points... after all, if you were really good at identifying problems in your game, you'd probably have fixed them by now.