PDA

View Full Version : The Neil Strauss comeback

rogerthat
04-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Okay... I'm just back from a short one hour sarge and came up against an interesting obstacle. I'm tired, but will try to make this brief.
Short story is: I approached a mix three set (HB7, HB8.5 and a dude). I go in with the lesbian jealous boyfriend opener and halfway thru, the HB7 says: "You like Neil Strauss don't you?"
For a second I wondered what I should do, but fired back: "Yeah I do... love his work", then kept pushing the opener.
HB7 tried to muscle in again and tell the set how I was using a pick up technique from The Game etc, but what was interesting was the HB8.5 and the guy were both totally hooked on the opener and ignoring the HB7. So I ignored her too and continued the routine.
HB7 notices her friends are into it and says: "Guys... this didn't happend he is trying to pick up."
So, I turned to her and asked her what she thought of the book... did she like the end etc. She totally got into that conversation, at which point the HB8.5 tried butting in to give her opinion on the original opener question.
I ignored the HB8.5 (my target), turned away from her, and told the HB7 that because she'd read The Game, she was the most interesting girl in the bar. The HB8.5 got pissed at this and complained, wanting my attention.
At this point, I joked about how it worked, then told them it was great to meet them, and left the set to discuss with my wing.
I totally think I handled the situation well. I didn't panic, and managed to continue two conversations and control the frame. The HB7 even gave a few IOIs before I left.
I just wondered if any of you more senior ranked members might have had this happen before, and if so, how did you handle it? Also, I'd like to know how you thought I went... (I'm always wanting to improve).
Cheers.

Vapor
04-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Looks really good. Great way to respond.

DjSuperstaR
04-13-2006, 08:06 AM
why didnt you get the target?

rogerthat
04-13-2006, 08:10 AM
During the course of the opener, it wwas mentioned that her LTBF was in right behind me... so I guess I politely bailed on the sarge at that point.
Doesn't mean she wasn't interested though.

DjSuperstaR
04-13-2006, 08:22 AM
you shouldve asked them if they were married :cool:

ShyGuy
04-13-2006, 08:23 AM
NIce work man

Masters
04-13-2006, 08:34 AM
You should stay in the set and work towards at least getting to A3 to improve your skill before you eject.
I had a student in San Francisco get called out by a guy who read The Game. We need a stock response to this :D
I would have not said "it worked" and stayed in set. Concentrate on the 7 and the guy. Talk about how you're fascinated with social dynamcs, neg the hb8 with a situational neg so the game reader doesnt pick it up, do ESP on the game7, then role play with the target for a minute and ask the guy if he's ever heard of the cube? "How do you all know each other?" Don't run the cube yet. TEll teh game7 If she'd go get the drinks you'll buy her one and send her off. IF she doesnt go.. who cares, another dhv story. You should be talking to game7 and guy this whole time unless you're negging or roleplaying. Try and concentrate on hb7. Go A3 on target, if it works ask hb7 and guy if you can sit down with target and show her the cube test, but tell hb7 she cant give it away... talk to hb7 like shes an insider and you guys are keeping a secret.
There's some quick advice :rolleyes:

polarize
04-13-2006, 08:35 AM
This type of thing will happen from time to time. But since it's not a consistent problem for you, I would not recommend you expend much energy working on it. The Game has gotten some routinues out into the public, but the vast majority of HB's have not read it. And if they did they don't recall. Anyway, just look at it as an aberation and move on.
-polarize

Masters
04-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Did you FTC?
If not you should have before or durring your opener.
neg?

DjSuperstaR
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
a stock response
hhmmmmm
maybe you could say; "neil strauss is an old friend of mine; maybe thats why i remind you of him" which would also dhv you at the same time :cool:

Jack Handy
04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
When I get called out on reading "the game" I am going to tell then that I keep it right next to my copy of "he's just not that into you". Then say its funny cause both books are about me

alacrity
04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Here is a possible response to running a routine on someone who has heard it before, off the top of my head.
U : Blah Blah, routine..
Her: Hea!!! you've read the game/mASF/layguide...etc
U: You mean you've heard it before, now thats cool, my ex girlfriend thought me this, she thought it was fantastic and used it all the time to meet new people, where did you hear it before? Maybe from ur ex girlfriend too, eh! maybe their the same person.......ah.....(pull away).....now thats just freaky.
Don't know, something to get her mind moving onto on something else, moving into another conversation, without getting stuck.

Hysteria
04-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Here's Maverick's field-tested response to this particular shit-test.
http://www.theattractionforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2322

Masters
04-13-2006, 10:02 AM
When I get called out on reading "the game" I am going to tell then that I keep it right next to my copy of "he's just not that into you". Then say its funny cause both books are about me
hahaa

rogerthat
04-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Did you FTC?
If not you should have before or durring your opener.
neg?
Yeah... FTCed as soon as I approached the set... before the opener.
Negged the HB8.5, but not the 7.

rogerthat
04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
tell hb7 she cant give it away... talk to hb7 like shes an insider and you guys are keeping a secret.

I like that idea... get the game reader onside by telling herr it's a secret. Don't know if it would have worked as this chick was a bit bitchy, but I like that as an idea. I think that would work on a lot of HB7s because they feel like they are special by being "in"

Scooby
04-14-2006, 04:07 AM
You did the right thing agreeing with her - she was trying to disrupt your game - always best to agree and diffuse her objection.
You could have also talked about how he found lisa and fell in love - moves the focus from the pickup techniques in the book to the love story (btw, wasnt that part of the book fuckin boring! :D )
Lastly, to support youre a fan of neil, throw in the other books thats hes written about marilyn manson (what an eye opener!) and dave navarro (one long drug addiction story :) )

Scotty
04-14-2006, 06:26 AM
You should stay in the set and work towards at least getting to A3 to improve your skill before you eject.

Also - even if she did have a boyfriend, attract her as much as possible - it's planting a seed. That seed can grow at a later date.

Cedar
04-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Short story is: I approached a mix three set (HB7, HB8.5 and a dude). I go in with the lesbian jealous boyfriend opener and halfway thru, the HB7 says: "You like Neil Strauss don't you?"
Don't listen to the girl until you're in A3. Her words literally MEAN NOTHING to your conversation. That's illusionary input. IGNORE the words coming out of her mouth.

Scooby
04-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Don't listen to the girl until you're in A3. Her words literally MEAN NOTHING to your conversation. That's illusionary input. IGNORE the words coming out of her mouth.
Cedar, i agree with that this is the frame you should take with the target, but in this case it was the obstacle that raised the question - the obstacle seemed to want to disrupt things - can you elaborate why you think its best not to befriend and disarm her?
(Btw, good to have you back - hope we get to see pics of the new house additions! :D )

Cedar
04-14-2006, 07:01 AM
You're leading the conversation. Don't allow their comments to steer the conversation during A1-3 in a bar or high energy setting. [Day game works differently, long discussion.] If one of them continues to interrupt you neg/bust on her for having bad manners.
Generally, plow through whatever the interruption is. Cut the thread and stack into a more interesting routine if you need to.