PDA

View Full Version : One-itis?

Kid-A
04-2006-11, 11:36 AM
I was wondering if anyone else gets this sort of thing?
If I spend time with a girl and we have an attraction I often get 'one-itis' for a time after. By this I mean I think about them alot, generally AFC stuff. I'm pretty sure I only every get this if the attraction is mutual, but sometimes I've taken no action about the attraction.
The effect wears off after a week or so of no contact.
So anyone else experience a similar thing? My guess is it's pheremonal but I guess might be unique/rare...

doc
04-2006-11, 11:52 AM
natural...

Rain
04-2006-11, 01:55 PM
You get those feelings because you have been conditioned by society and experience that this type of mutual, accidental attraction is your only way to experience sex. It dissipates after a week or so, because your libido has a short memory.
It's not really one-itis. But if you act on it, and don't close, then it will become one-itis. Don't confuse one-itis with feelings of affection or attraction.

Hypnovibe
04-2006-11, 01:59 PM
You get that way because that is how normal people get. The game is a radically different idea and is not conditioned into your mind or your emotions. You need to sit down and figure out your goals.

Enigmaz
04-2006-11, 05:49 PM
Well you guys, I was reading a men's health magazine and it talks about how love and all the feelings that come with it are chemical.
In the magazine they made a study where they measured the levels of a certain chemical on the blood in people who were dating for just a bit and people who have been dating for more than a year. Apparently after a year or so of dating the same person the amounts of that chemical compound get much lower than when we are just starting to see the person. The chemical I'm taliking about has a lot to do with feelings and emotions and all that stuff. SO what does this mean? I would put it plain and simple. It's like a drug.
So if you want to get out of oneitis you must act like that person is a drug. I was fighting with a one-itis urge for a couple of months, trying to get her out of my head and all that, but I couldn't. The problem was the hope. I was alwasy hopeful that I could still make it if I used X routine or whatever. I said, "I don't need this chick", but yet I still kept gaming her. SOmetimes she responded, sometimes she didn't. This made me crazy. So what finally got me out of oneitis?
I deleted her #, the photos of her I had, and I didn't even looked at her when we were in the classroom. Basically completely ignored her, as if she didn't exist (I didn't even looked at her). Then I started thinking of all the flaws she has and how ugly she really is. How boring she can be at times, how her nose is a bit too big, her teeth aren't perfect, etc. etc. Last time I saw her I just talked to her matter of factly and just gamed other girls whilst just not giving a damn. NOW IM FREE!!! This is from the mouth of a guy that has been in MANY One itises and finally broke off of one. YEAH!!!

Kid-A
04-2006-11, 09:46 PM
I don't really have much problem continuing my life when I get this as I've had it quite a few times, but as a scientist when stuff like this happens it's like Nature smacking you round the head to show you why you are really here.
Some other things I was wondering about. Does this only occur with a mutual attraction? Do women get a similar effect on themselves?
All the cases this has happened to myself have been accompanied by the girl giving lots of IOI's, which is why I think it may be some sort of mutual pheremonal thing. But I'd still be interested in the physiology of this.

Rain
04-2006-11, 10:27 PM
The following passages are excerpted from the search results of 'pheromone' on Wikipedia.com
Sex pheromones
In animals, sex pheromones indicate the availability of the female for breeding. Certain butterflies can detect a potential mate from as far as 10 km. Pheromones can be used in gametes to trail the opposite sex's gametes for fertilization. Pheromones are also used in the detection of estrus in sows. Boar pheromones are sprayed into the sty, and those sows which exhibit sexual arousal are known to be currently available for breeding.
Male animals also emit pheromones that convey information about what species they are, and their genotype.
Human pheromones
Some commercially-available substances (such as Pherlure) are advertised using claims that the products contain sexual pheromones and can act as an aphrodisiac. These claims often lack credence due to an excessive marketing of pheromones by unsolicited e-mail.
Nevertheless, a few well-controlled scientific studies have been published demonstrating the possibility of pheromones in humans. The best-studied case involves the synchronization of menstrual cycles among women based on unconscious odor cues (the so called McClintock effect, named after the primary investigator). This study states that there are two types of pheromone involved: "One, produced prior to ovulation, shortens the ovarian cycle, and the second, produced just at ovulation, lengthens the cycle". Other studies have suggested that people might be using odor cues associated with the immune system to select mates who are not closely related to themselves. (see Disassortative sexual selection)
Pheromones in humans are postulated to be produced by the apocrine glands. The apocrine glands become functional after reaching puberty which, some believe, could contribute to people developing a sexual attraction for others at that time. Pheromone detection has also been proposed as be the reason why a person can sense "chemistry", or feel an instant attraction or dislike when first meeting someone.
Using a brain imaging technique, Swedish researchers have shown that homosexual and heterosexual men respond differently to two odors that may be involved in sexual arousal, and that the gay men respond in the same way as women. This researchs suggests a possible role for human pheromones in the biological basis of sexual orientation.
The available information suggests that although pheromones may play a role in attraction, the claim is speculative. The definitive evidence, found across many animal species, indicates that pheromones play a more prominent role in selection of a genetically compatible mate. This would also suggest the they merely qualify a candidate for possible mating, not necessarily for ideal mating.
While it is generally accepted that humans are more complicated mammals than, say, pigs, it is also generally accepted that human beings have evolved beyond the need for evolutionary communication of this type.
Further, it is more likely that if pheromones are an active agent in human attraction, they are not engaged until initial candidacy for mating has been established. In essence, pheromones are likely a part of an attraction cycle, rather than the cause of it.
Human arousal stems from a variety of sources including body language, genetic fitness, and mating rituals. If pheromones are part of this phenomena, they probably serve as a reinforcement to the other factors of attraction.

legonz
04-2006-11, 11:06 PM
I tend to think you only get one-itis when you try to do things "the right way". The obsession that follows from gearing all your energy towards one woman brings the itis with it as a side-effect.
I don't want to sound like an expert on it, but I did write the faq and spent weeks experimenting with it previously.

Kid-A
04-2006-12, 09:09 AM
I'm not worried about one-itis, but I just wanted to confirm this happens to other people, and am particularly interested if it affects girls aswell. I find it very annoying to have my thought patterns disrupted like this, but I'd be less annoyed if I knew the person that caused it was also having problems.

Dr. Zeus
04-2006-12, 10:09 AM
The more you think about a girl, the more you come to like her. And the more you like her, the more good/imagined qualities you project onto her. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. It's not that you're falling for her. It's that you're falling for your ideas of her.
"No woman alive can amount to the imagination of a man in love."
-Dr. Zeus
4/12/06

Eclectic
04-2006-19, 05:07 AM
I was wondering if anyone else gets this sort of thing?
If I spend time with a girl and we have an attraction I often get 'one-itis' for a time after. By this I mean I think about them alot, generally AFC stuff. I'm pretty sure I only every get this if the attraction is mutual, but sometimes I've taken no action about the attraction.
The effect wears off after a week or so of no contact.
So anyone else experience a similar thing? My guess is it's pheremonal but I guess might be unique/rare...
Kid-A, I was just thinking the same thing myself, as a similar thing happens to me. I used to get hardcore one-itis and though I don't get it as bad as before, I still find myself obsessing over girls sometimes. Girls who I'm not involved with.
But the post here gives me some good perspective on why it goes on, and what it is. Its also good to know that others feel the same

Kid-A
04-2006-19, 10:59 AM
Well I got over it now. The point is that usually I have very strong control of my own mind, when this occasionally happens I literally cannot control what I'm thinking about.
I did try and do some searching on the 'net to see if some 'Agony Aunt' had replied to a girl who had this sort of thing. I couldn't find anything, but I had a bit of a realisation: It's highly unlikely a girl would write to an 'Agony Aunt' about this sort of thing because it's a 'feeling' and girls don't try to intellectualise 'feelings'. They just feel them, if this happens to girls (which I guess it probably does) then they just put it down to an attraction. Where as I'm annoyed that this external factor affected my thought processes (even though it was pleasant feeling), girls would just accept it. (I have made generalisations here.)