PDA

View Full Version : I disabled rep system for now.

Masters
04-2006-10, 09:09 AM
Until its worked out I disabled the Rep System because of all the complaints and issues.

Iceman
04-2006-10, 06:10 PM
Hmm...when its brought back, will our rep points be carried over into the new version of the rep system?

Maverick
04-2006-10, 10:26 PM
Everyone's but yours :D

Malibu
04-2006-10, 10:36 PM
Ha Ha...thats a shit go Iceman!!

Iceman
04-2006-10, 10:43 PM
Lol. Everyone else's will be brought back. Mine will be set to 1000 :D

superseiyan
04-2006-11, 07:36 AM
Until its worked out I disabled the Rep System because of all the complaints and issues.
Not sure how it works, but it seems now like almost every thread half of the posts are either "Rep :) " or "please rep".

Rakly
04-2006-11, 10:38 AM
just as i wanted to posrep you in one of my threads :p

Deviate
04-2006-11, 07:10 PM
what is wrong with the system.
Is it abuse or is it just not working.
What is the proposed solution?

Malibu
04-2006-11, 07:49 PM
The problem was there were too many people rising to quickly.....
I dont see why the rep power cant stay the same (incriments of 20)
but the repution points given out should change...maybe max it at 5 points for everyone over rep power 5 and above.

Jester
04-2006-11, 08:10 PM
The thing was that if you put up a good post, you could suddenly boost your rep like there was no tomorrow because all you had to do was have a few people of high rep give you some points.
Maybe it should be made that you can only get x amount of reps per thread. and as malibu said a max per person.
Also maybe raising the bar on the break points between the points could be an option to making people have to work harder to get the points might also help the problems.

Damage
04-2006-12, 08:00 AM
Why not have it so that those with more rep can GIVE more rep, in addition to people having rep removed if they are seen posting suggesting or asking for it?
The game isn't about rep. Personally I'd like to see rep removed. As Style said, rich people don't need to tell others that they are rich.
I think it's disappointing when people post on here for the purpose of gaining rep. The forum should be about sharing new knowledge and perfecting our understanding of various techniques, not regurgitating stuff that people have already said.
The only rep that counts is how many reps I give you a girl in my bed.

Phoenix
04-2006-12, 08:11 AM
Maybe there should be a rep for your efforts in the field, stuff being tried and tested and also for closes, not just rep for written threads. Given people reputation that they have earned for physically, performing well in the field (where it counts!).
just a suggestion
phoenix out:cool:

Voo
04-2006-12, 08:58 AM
Yeah but people will just post fake closes and over-exaggerated FR's etc.
Simplest way is just to remove rep completely, that's the way you actually get a reputation for your good posts and not a reputation by your amount of rep.

Stallion
04-2006-12, 08:59 AM
Maybe there should be a rep for your efforts in the field, stuff being tried and tested and also for closes, not just rep for written threads. Given people reputation that they have earned for physically, performing well in the field (where it counts!).
just a suggestion
phoenix out:cool:
Good suggestion but then people will start to lie just to get good rep.

Jester
04-2006-12, 01:17 PM
Its all good saying that it should be removed, but what are the positive side of having the rep system? In effect what we are doing with this is giving intermittent rewarding just like we would for girls. IOI for good behaviour, IOD for bad. What this does is raise the bar in the post and encourages people to spend the time to write a good thread up and give good replies. As it goes without saying it also discourages people making shit post and wasting space.
Some might (or I should say, are) say that this is bullshit and that we shouldnt need to have our back rubbed or be given a gold star for good behaviour, but the truth of the matter is that we are humans and that we respond best when we are given intermittent rewarding.
The rep system also lets you see that a person has credit with the rest of the board and obviously has some knowledge here. Which in my view is important, do you really want to be taking advice from a source with no credientials?? Would you take investing advice from any old Tom, Dick or Harry on the street. I think not.
While you might argue that the rep system doesnt show how much of a PUA they are in the field, that is true, very true infact BUT the purpose of us being on here is to learn our theory, not to brag about how good we are in the field. So how good someone is in the field has no importance on here all that really matters is how good their theory is. While someone can be very knowledgable in the field they can be shit at theory, they simply cant explain the theory in a clear manner, and vice versa.
Instead of looking at the negatives of the rep system, change your frame and look at the postives. What value does this system REALLY have??

Bunny
04-2006-12, 01:26 PM
It has become evident that I would rather not have rep on the board. If someone is acting foolish, kick out. That seems to be good enough for me. Though I do miss the little thanks notes posted on the User CP, but whatever.
Bunny!

Malibu
04-2006-12, 01:28 PM
i couldnt agree with Jester more....another point to add is that I would spend that extra time to write up good posts...look up information from questions asked through VAH and other material...thus...when answering questions in the forum I would actually be learning...its sort of like studying to me....and has helped me build my game up....dont get rid of the rep system IMO, enhance it.

GameBoy
04-2006-12, 01:41 PM
Jester
Since I can't rep you for that post, you can consider this your pat on the back.
Posts like that Kick ass, and even if rep has adverse effects: promoting replies like that should be the main focus.

the piper
04-2006-12, 01:57 PM
one thing i did like about rep is often you would she a new thread or reply posted by someone that had good rep as well as respect from the community. when i first started out on here i did often focus on post of people with higher rep. not to say that someone with lower rep views didn't count but for someone new into the game often those post with bunch of guys with high rep would be worth reading. i don't care too much about rep because like someone said earlier what counts is what happens in the field not how good someone can tell a story about what happened.

Dragon
04-2006-12, 02:29 PM
Your rep will proceed with the qaulity of your posts counting your FRs.. lets keep it at that. Since I found with the rep system you can post up fake stuff- KJ's for eg, not judjing but using as a example. What people should be really concerned is improving themselves to a degree their happy with. The forum in general is meant to ease the sticking points with advice and support, but it won't unless you go out.

Voo
04-2006-12, 03:10 PM
As far as getting advice from any Tom Dick or Harry goes, I know good advice when I hear it, and I don't take advice unless it's good advice and is applicable to me in some way or form, no matter who it's from.
You see some of the unheard of members on this place giving out some great advice, not all the new members unfortunately, but some.
Most these guys don't get a mention unless they rack up a huge post count and/or peacock their signature's with an unneccessary colourful display of text.

Jester
04-2006-12, 03:38 PM
As far as getting advice from any Tom Dick or Harry goes, I know good advice when I hear it, and I don't take advice unless it's good advice and is applicable to me in some way or form, no matter who it's from.

You must be a smart cookie Voo, well done. Unfortunately though not everyone can differentiate between good advice and bad (or should I say incorrect) advice.
This is where the rep system helps, remembering that NEW people are always coming onboard here and they dont know who is good and who isnt, what is good advice and what isnt, this is all new to them and we need to think of them as well as ourselfs. Normally you can tell the knowledge of someone by the detail and explaination of their response, but sometimes its not so detailed.
The Piper has just confirmed that I am not the only one that did this, before I learnt myself what was shit and what wasnt.
You have to ask the question of "What is this forum truely for?" "What do I really want from this forum?" If you are like me, it is to learn your theory and get past sticking points with the help of everyone on here. Therefore the rep system is good as it helps to promote good threads and responses (As Gameboy said).
If you are here to make fake posts and/ or brag about your encounters in the feild (personally I think that this also includes photos in FRs, this is unnecessary all that matters is what you did, what worked and what didnt and why it didnt) in order to look for validation (you can tell these people by their rep whoring mannerisms) then I think that your in the wrong place and you need to have a good look at your inner game.
Personally since the rep systems has been taken off I have noticed the quality drop. Am I the only one??

Malibu
04-2006-12, 03:43 PM
Personally since the rep systems has been taken off I have noticed the quality drop. Am I the only one??
No, I have noticed it too...infact i have noticed that since some memebers began acumulately huge amounts of rep very quickly the quality of the forum had started dropping...just my personnal opinion but I think Masters has done the right thing for now in disabling the rep system until it can be sorted....but it DOES need to get sorted...it wasnt a very fair system before.

GameBoy
04-2006-12, 05:25 PM
Differing opinions can be a good thing though. Jester - one of the best disagreements this board ever saw was when you and I argued around the time of your arrival. - but that is a unique case.
We both take/took the time to explain ourselves in a very detailed, concise manner.
Hell, was there even a rep system back then?
I do agree with the runaway rep problem.
One post in the main forum that Cedar, Harley and Rain liked and you bump 2 points. Then, if you're repping others... so on and so forth.
The counterargument is: Is that a bad thing?
Regardless of how - people had to earn it.
The complications come when Repwhoring (asking for rep)
and coersion (two or more guy all reping eachother to inflate their numbers) come in to play.
I looked at the repcomments as useful feedback. They told me what the board felt I brought to the table and allowed me to become a better asset to the community.
Not everyone looks at things that way...

Hysteria
04-2006-12, 05:35 PM
I looked at the repcomments as useful feedback. They told me what the board felt I brought to the table and allowed me to become a better asset to the community.
I too really enjoyed those feedback comments. Much like Ebay's feedback system, you get to see where your strongest points are.
Fast shipping, quick friendly communication, an asset to Ebay!
Fantastic advice given to the newbie regarding getting over his 360lbs bisexual midget hermaphrodite one-itis!
We do have USER NOTE options though. I don't think very many people are aware of these feature so listen up. If you click on somebody's profile, there's a little area on the left where it says "POST USER NOTE". It's PUBLIC feedback or notes left about the user. I've only ever seen Masters use this feature so far on one member.

legonz
04-2006-12, 05:36 PM
I miss whoring for rep comments. Now I'm like a junkie with no fix.

GameBoy
04-2006-12, 05:38 PM
I also have a user note pasted to me.
Holy shizz! I'll see if I can have it removed for you. :D
EDIT BY HYSTERIA - Something screwed up. I was supposed to quote GameBoy, not edit his post. Now I don't remember what he said originally. Oops, I apologize. :o

Damage
04-2006-13, 04:32 AM
I fail to see how rep 'rewards the quality of the posts'. It doesn't - it suggests that posts made by a particular user are reputable and others are not.
If you want to praise particular writings, then we already have several ways of doing it: first (and in my view the best) is the ability to give a thread a ranking for one star to five. The second (more subjective) is to move the very best threads to the Best of section.
Some people pass on good advice and some people pass on bad. That doesn't mean that some people ALWAYS pass on good advice and some people ALWAYS pass on bad. So why can't we give 'rep' on a thread-by-thread basis by ranking them according to the star system?
Alternatively, like the 'Have Your Say' section of the BBC Online website, is it not possible to 'recommend a post' rather than a user? The best posts with the highest rankings then get automatically put into the Best Of section (thus saving the moderators time) and you can skim a thread knowing which nuggets of advice are the best.
I do not think that any user should be able to gain or lose rep since - as can seen in some areas of the forum - regional 'cliques' (for want of a better word) can artificially enhance someone's rep based upon mutual back-scratching at will. A group of freshly registered AFCs can elevate themselves to higher status this way. By ranking posts, not people, we can recognise good advice.

beetie
04-2006-13, 04:51 AM
Confused myself, but i understand the situation that if its a great post and everyone reps that means you look the muts nuts,however one swallow doesnt make a relationship.I did a post of an opener about 3 months ago,and yes ive been away for a while,but i got repped and it suddenly got ripped from my repping tally..The thing is the opener still works well.

Showstopper
04-2006-19, 09:23 AM
so will the rep system be back ?

GameBoy
04-2006-19, 09:34 AM
Is the rep system gonna be back ?:cool:
A question so important - you asked it twice?
I don't think that people care enough. It became political and was abused. It caused the mods a lot of grief and frustration.
Do I think it was still good? yeah
Do I miss it? No.
Why does it matter?

Hysteria
04-2006-19, 09:46 AM
I'm quite glad the rep system is gone now. It has separated those who willingly and selflessly contribute their time/effort/wisdom to the community for its greater good on a regular basis from those who sought validation and would not post material-loaded posts otherwise.
I've already noticed a few people who quickly gained rep who don't post as much any more since the rep system was abolished. I say they were in it for the wrong reasons. I know who I trust on here because they're in it for all the right reasons. You know who you are.
Apologies to anyone who falls under this category. I do believe in the growth of this community and encourage everyone to contribute, but the abandoning of the rep system has really separated the wheat from the chaff and this was an unforseen benefit to me.

Fader
04-2006-19, 09:48 AM
I hated the rep system and my only regret is it didnt die sooner

Sovereign
04-2006-19, 09:48 AM
Hysteria,
Damn, I would give you rep for that post if I could! ;-)

Oneiricon
04-2006-19, 10:16 AM
I don't think that people care enough. It became political and was abused.
And that there is the definitive reason why it should stay gone. I racked up a few good rep points for some posts I made when I first started posting here; but a lot of them came from Harlequin, who has a greater rep-giving power. Thus, my score seemed artificially inflated, even though I don't give a shit at all about the popularity contests that rep systems provoke in a userbase. It was nice having people pay some degree of attention to my posts while it was active, but now that it's gone, the content of our posts will have to suffice as the sole determining factor without the flag-waving aspect of the rep system to highlight or underscore who is a "good poster". I know that I myself have several people whom I watch for, but that's just me.
Anyhow, this is just some half-in-the-bag-rambling from last night talking. I should get a field report up for you guys sometime soon. I love bombing out of sets more than I do succeeding; it teaches me so much more, and it's fucking funner than shit to fuck up a set.
Over and out.
EDIT: BTW, I can't believe this is still an issue.

Vincent Chase
04-2006-19, 12:02 PM
...separated the wheat from the chaff...
That was the first time I've heard the word chaff used like that.

Orleans
04-2006-19, 03:28 PM
My only beef is now it's harder to see the up and coming quality posters where as before if I saw a name I didn't know but he had a bunch of green bars beside his name he was a good contributer.

Scooby
04-2006-19, 09:22 PM
I think its good its gone. I think the guys who truly want to be here to be involved in this community for the right reasons, and not for their own validation, will stick around. There continues to be some kickass threads with some even better replys and advice.
To those who are worried about newbies not being able to determine good advice from bad, just remember it doesnt take long for the bad advice to be shat on - there has even been some average advice from those who should know better (including mods) but it usually takes no time for cedar to put them in their place.
Only down side i can think of is there will be a return to the old days of the two word post: "Good Post" :D

Malibu
04-2006-19, 11:35 PM
My only beef is now it's harder to see the up and coming quality posters where as before if I saw a name I didn't know but he had a bunch of green bars beside his name he was a good contributer.
Agreed. With so many members on one forum there are a heap of guys i dont know or havent heard of and new members join every day.

the jedi
05-2006-21, 04:27 PM
I guess I would like to know if the info coming at me was field tested, Player aproved. It is easy to post fancy stuff on line. It is harder to meet strangers, take them home and have sex with them.