PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Point: 3 second rule and approach

Fate
11-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Okay, guys, now that I'm back in the game, I'm having a HORRIBLE time approaching my first set or three.

I've been using a few canned openers, but I feel that I'm doing something totally wrong early on. My first mistake is that it takes me longer than 3 seconds to get the opener framed in my mind, and once I've passed 3 seconds, I feel that I've broken the 3 second rule, so my confidence gets hammered, and I'll just ignore the set instead.

Basically, my approach anxiety is messing with my ability to deliver an opener quickly. Once I've opened my first few sets, I get in a rhythm, and my game opens up wide, but the first hour or two of a night of sarging are usually throw-aways.

Any ideas on how to overcome it? I've started going to a throw-away bar and just stumbling through my first few sets to get them out of the way before I go to a real place, but I'd like to be able to approach right away (especially crucial for day-sarging).

petethree
11-01-2008, 03:30 PM
You don't hesitate. If you don't approach, you are not interested.

So remember, if you are at a bar/club/etc, as soon as you make eye contact within 2-3m, open it up. If you don't some other guy will, making your game more complicated, having to AMOG, etc., .

I always remember 3 seconds or bust, and a new set every 20 minutes if it's not going well in a set.

I personally avoid canned openers entirely, and use whatever spontaneous stuff comes to mind. However, usually I've found the "I need your opinion on something" or "I just a minute, what do you think of x,y,z", but make it funny and confident. The set are paying 90% attention to how you say it, and not what you say so it's not so important on what you say at all.

rhali786
11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't take this as a qualified answer! Find your own answer.

If the first 3 hours are throwaways anyway. Then your productivity will increase 200 fold if after 3 seconds you approach anyways. If it's a throw away you might as well cover the expreince right?

An even better way of optomizing the night is doing five sets on the street before you hit the venue. I read this somewhere, that if you do your warm up before the venue, your confidence in the venue will be higher. Similiar to a dont shit (warm up) where you eat.

This is neither right nor wrong, try it and see if it works for you.