PDA

View Full Version : Adaptation of Darren Brown's Invisible Touch

WaterMouse
10-25-2008, 04:15 AM
So tonight I decided to use a new routine which some of you may be familiar with. It is the Darren Brown "invisible touch" routine, which I had found on youtube.
YouTube - Derren Brown Invisible touch (here is the corresponding link to the video)
I basically followed his routine, but since this was my first field test, I am sure that I did not apply many of the same NLP techniques that he uses in the video correctly. Nonetheless, this was a good routine, and worked out very well for me, although I failed making it work on the HB8. I came up with a response on the fly that covered the failure. So I see this as being a win-win routine to escalate kino, have fun, and start a conversation. Here is the accounted process:

Initially I started the routine with an introduction, in order to introduce some anchoring words.
(along the lines of) "Let's play a little game, but first, I want to ask you something. You know how sometimes you get a feeling when someone is behind you? Like you can feel this energy on your skin as if it's touching you and you just know somebody is there. like this weird, tingling sensation on your skin that reacts to your intuition. And then you turn around and that person is there. It's pretty crazy huh? how you can feel that sensation and have it trigger like an esp response. well this game is gonna find out how well this works."

the subject matter of the introduction isn't completely relevant to the game, but it introduces many repeating anchor words which relate to the game.
from this point on follow the routine as shown by Darren Brown in the video. (ie. asking for hand, using his dialogue, and performing the routine)

this should theoretically work on most people if done correctly, although i was 1/3 for the night when trying this routine (1 person felt a touch).

still, if it does not work, there is a way around it. if they say "you didn't touch me" the response is this.

"Are you sure? (wait for affirmation) Well, you're right, I didn't touch you. The thing is, this actually works on around 90% (arbitrary stat, you can substitute "most" instead of a %) of people. This just goes to show that you are truly in touch with your feelings, and are not easily influenced by other people's suggestions. You are independent and are truly being yourself in any situation. You are the type of person that tries to express how they feel, and have very low ego. the subconscious and conscious levels of your mind are very connected and in synch. you are a very emotionally connected person. this is because this only works if your conscious and subconscious minds are on different levels, and so are unable to fully communicate with one another causing misinformation, which results in feeling touched."....this can be extended/progressed in a number of ways.

ABK
10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I saw the video. How do you think he does it?

WaterMouse
10-28-2008, 01:58 AM
based upon what i know about various NLP techniques, if you watch the video he creates a frame for the women to follow. the fact that they are following his directions gives him control over their frame of mind. they are following his lead, and in a sense, are being influenced by what he says.
(now, there is a good possibility that he set up this situation prior through other conversations, in order to put them in a more hypnotic/suggestive state)

how i believe he does it is:

he initially gives them a situational example that they have all experienced. "would it upset you to be touched?" -they answer "yes" in response and are recalling an emotional experience. changing tone when saying "touched" could link the word to that emotional experience.

he continues with linking that emotional state to an experience where they were touched and yet the person denied it. so now they are linking an emotional state to an experience where they felt they were touched although the person denied it. (feeling touched without being able to actually qualify being touched)

he then goes on with the routine.
-he gives directions to have them follow his frame. (following his lead and doing what he said) this puts them in a higher level of suggestibility and influence.
-he continues saying he must have the woman's complete trust. and he asks for confirmation while looking her in the eye, than asking her to close her eyes. this is a key tool in NLP, creating trust and comfort. she is now more susceptible to being influenced by his words.
-afterward, he says "count the number of times i touch you on the hand" (he does not say, if i touch you, he makes a statement as if he will touch her). he also asks her to count in her head and not out loud (he is increasing the mental aspect of the experience)
*notice how he repeats the word "count"
-he also asks for her friends to "count as well" in their heads. there is a group association here, so that she is now in a form of groupthink. she will most likely suggest a fairly low number of touches (at least 1), because she wants to try and remain congruent with her friends and to guess a number greater than zero and being close is better than guessing zero and being wrong.

-this puts her into a heightened state of awareness in her mindspace, which i believe is key to the actual process working.

the final part of the routine is the actual motion he does above the arm. if you notice, he does move his hand over the woman's hand as if he were touching her. what i think he is doing is displacing the air over her hand and creating a slight sense of pressure against the skin. because her eyes are closed, and she has been put into a heightened state (notice it is also very quiet), her feeling of touch is like that of a blind person, and so she notices the displaced air pressure.
if you notice with the blond woman, she seems to state being touched where he moved his fingers above her hand.

jech
10-29-2008, 01:43 AM
The explanation of Invisible Touch is not related to NLP.

WaterMouse
10-29-2008, 02:44 AM
The explanation of Invisible Touch is not related to NLP.

can you elaborate?
i would like your opinion on how he creates the effect, in order to hone my effectiveness of the routine.

Mr Wrong
10-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Derren brown uses alot of magic techniques disguised under psychology and nlp. He's even admitted it in his books. I didn't see the clip but there's a magic routine called Banachek's PK touches which I believe is a booklet. Its totally impromptu and an excellent effect that you can use after something like the best friend's test or to dhv. Also, Daniel Garcia has a nice effect on the Guerrila Guide to using loops volume 2 where you tickle one girl's face with her hair, and her friend feels it.

Clawn
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Derren touches the girl's hand. Just not when you think he does.

WaterMouse
11-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Derren brown uses alot of magic techniques disguised under psychology and nlp. He's even admitted it in his books. I didn't see the clip but there's a magic routine called Banachek's PK touches which I believe is a booklet. Its totally impromptu and an excellent effect that you can use after something like the best friend's test or to dhv. Also, Daniel Garcia has a nice effect on the Guerrila Guide to using loops volume 2 where you tickle one girl's face with her hair, and her friend feels it.

sounds interesting, i'll have to check out those references. thanks neo.

can you expand on this? because i don't necessarily agree with you, but if you presented a logical explanation, i would be apt to change my mind.

Clawn
11-02-2008, 02:18 AM
This is a somewhat classical effect in magic. I'm not sure if Derren uses the magicians method, but they both look identical.

Basically what happens is that the magician tells her to count how many times he's going to touch the girl. Then he touches her on three different parts of her hand, secretly (while talking to others etc.) Then he pretends to magically touch her without actually touching her. When the girl is asked 'how many times did I touch you?', she will answer 'three times' because you did. Just not when everyone else thought you did it.

jech
11-02-2008, 02:57 AM

This is correct. It's in his book.

WaterMouse
11-02-2008, 03:54 AM
i agree, that does seem highly plausible clawn, thanks for the clarification. and now i fully understand your previous reply too, jech.
so obviously the camera did not show this action occurring, which is where i came to my assumptions on applying solely NLP tactics to try and get the same results.
with that in mind, could you explain the tactic of touching them without being noticed? i would like to be able to do this routine so that i can have the option of changing up the results in accordance to how i feel would better suit the situation, and also to increase the number of possible, continuing, conversational routines i can choose from.

Lahori Casanova
06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
you should lift Amy’s (girl on your left) left arm with your left hand, so that her hand
hovers around waist height. Let your right hand remain casually by your side. Once
you have done this let your left hand return to your side, leaving Amy’s hand
‘hovering’.)

Kate (girl on the right) Watch This!

(As you say this, you should hold your index finger of your left hand up between your face and Kate’s, and look Kate right in the eye. At the same time you should turn your body in Kate’s direction and take a step away from Amy. As you do this, allow your 4th finger or your right hand to tap Amy’s hand twice. With a little practice, you are saying “Kate! Watch this!” combined with you holding your other hand up and looking her in the eye means that Kate and everybody else watching will not see you tap Amy. You should make the tap as fluid as possible. I keep my hand moving all the time and simply stick out my 4th finger twice as my hand moves close to Amy’s.)

(It’s important to be unsure of the result. This will stop people thinking that it is just a trick, and that you really are performing a psychological miracle.)

(At this point the true level of the effect becomes apparent, Amy will insist you touched her, but EVERYONE else in the room will be positive that you never went near her hand! People will ask you to do it again, be careful – until you are very practiced at the secret tap, a good observer might be able to spot it!)