PDA

View Full Version : Eat, Shit, Dream, Breathe

Flair
03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
This morning I woke up a couple hours before I'm normally suppossed to. Usually, I'll head right back to sleep, but instead, I started having all these thoughts; What could I have done different in that set? What could I have said to get through A2 a little bit easier? How was my body language when I entered that 2 set? Was I lurking? Did my breath smell ok? How about when I ejected myself a little early out of that one set, what should I have said to keep myself in the game?
As all these thoughts entered my head, besides depriving me of an extra couple hours of sleep, they did something wonderful for me. I realized that if you really want to get good at this, you have to eat, shit, sleep, dream, think, and breathe pickup. You don't have to make it the main priority in your life, but definitely make it A priority in your life. For the people in the community that are new (like myself), you can't come on to the forum, post a few threads, and all of a sudden you're an mPUA picking up SHB11's. If any of you have ever been sick, you know that once the Doctor gives you anti-biotics, if you take them for a few days and then stop, the sickness just comes back again. Now consider the routines and material your anti-biotics. If you open up 3 sets with a jealous girlfriend opener, crash and burn, but then try something new or different that you think will work, then you will continue to fail. Use the routines and material like an anti-biotic for your AFC behavior. Ween yourself off of the basics. Don't change after 3 days because you think something isn't working, otherwise you'll never get rid of the sickness that is being an AVERAGE FRUSTRATED CHUMP.
Another thing......A lot of people think that practice makes perfect. They'll walk around their house practicing routines and material in a monotone voice, and wonder why that 3 set of 9's just totally blew them out. Practice does not make perfect.....PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. I'm sure this isn't something new that you have heard, but start to believe it because it's true. When you're practicing your cube, pretend that there is really an HB10 staring you in the face while your reciting it. Don't just say the words. LIVE IN THE MOMENT so that way when you really do enter the set, you express your words in a voice that HAS TO BE HEARD as oppossed to a voice that WANTS TO BE HEARD.

Aequitas
03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
The gem for me in this post was to not give up on proven routines... I tend to disgard a routine if it doesnt work in the first few tries rather than focusing on what I did wrong.
I think the best thing you can get out of these canned routines is to figure out WHY they work, and the only way to do that is by reflection on routines that you're having trouble with.

03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Exactly, use a routine or a canned opener as something like a crutch. After using it various times you create your own from the various situations you've been in. Take the same principles but apply it in a different set of words. The frame is still the same even tho the words change.

Malibu
03-20-2006, 02:39 PM
The gem for me in this post was to not give up on proven routines... I tend to disgard a routine if it doesnt work in the first few tries rather than focusing on what I did wrong.
I think the best thing you can get out of these canned routines is to figure out WHY they work, and the only way to do that is by reflection on routines that you're having trouble with.
You shouldnt disgard mterial only after the first few tries...it could take two dowen times to get it wrong before you internalize the material.
:cool:
Malibu