PDA

View Full Version : College vs Work

mattyJ
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi guys, just after a few quick opinions.

This year I have two options
1. I can go to college and continue my degree or...
2. I can take up a job I was offered in the music industry, training to be an audio engineer.

I know that college has so many possibilities for making new friends, parties etc but I would also really love that job and it has many future career options for me.

Do any of you think it is worth sacrificing this great job offer to stay in college and complete a degree that I am not really that passionate about?

Thanks

Genghis
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Do what ever you feel you should do. I am in a similar problem. Look here:
http://www.theattractionforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59911

One of the guys, gwailo, gave me this advice:

Make a list of pros & cons. Give each a rating of 1 to 5, 5 being very important and 1 being not so much. Tally the scores on each side whichever has the higher score, do it, or at least start your way on that path.

And I did, in a matter of fact I did it today.
But, luckily for me I can merge both my options. So it's not going to be, for example, College vs Work but College first than Work.

Does it have to VS? Can't you take the job after college? If not...

I don't know your preferences, and I will never know them fully despite how hard you could try to show me them. The decision is only yours. All I can say is take your time, think it over and over. Go for a walk to the park, look for similar problems.

Remember though: A College degree might be useful for you. It's always a back up in case.

happymeal88
02-17-2008, 08:12 PM
It's not like it's an either/or situation either. I am in college, but after an internship have been working in my field while going to school. You'll have to switch around your schedule and be dedicated, but it is probably possible to do both.

Good luck, either way.

DarkPlaya
02-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Well it depends how valuable that job is, do you think such an opportunity could come up again or something similar in the future?

Obviously College will give you a lot of experience, as well as the crazy parties and hot babes. Do you think a College degree will enable you to find a better job than the one you are offered?

And you also have to consider the just in case part, if you take this job and it falls through for whatever reason, will you regret taking it and/or will you be able to do what you want to do effectively should this fall through?

DarkPlaya

Phateless
02-18-2008, 02:06 AM
If you are not passionate about the degree and you are really passionate about the job, I would say take it. Life is too short to always play it safe, and credits take several years to expire so you could always go back. Do some research on exactly how long your credits last and what your options might be. Furthermore, what's stopping you from taking 1 or 2 online classes at a time while you work? Even if the job slows you way down, you can still make progress on your degree while you work.

mattyJ
02-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. As it turns out, there may be a way for me to do both part time which could be a great thing.

College is such a great place to grow as a person and meet new people so I am glad that I can still be involved in that but you're dead right, Phateless, Life is to short to play it safe.

GAT0R
02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Do what you enjoy but always havin a degree to fall back on doesnt hurt either.