PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Male Role Models

Pablo Escobar
01-2008-10, 01:59 PM
I was watching Out Of Sight starring George Clooney and JLo the other day and it just occured to me that how Clooney carries him self in the movies and and also off screen. And personally i think he is a good Alpha role model to learn from and the type of movies he makes and the charachters he plays.

Just want your opinions on who are Good Alpha role models to learn from and also can use to get into character and developing that Alpha attitude which woman love and attracted to.

_Hollywood_
01-2008-10, 02:29 PM
Me, myself, and I. :)

HRHughes
01-2008-12, 07:27 PM
Tony Soprano :D

sdnightfly
01-2008-13, 01:21 AM
Check out the early episodes of M*A*S*H when Trapper was on the show... up to when Blake crashed in the helicopter. I think Hawkeye was one of the first prime time PUAs. It's not the first show you'd think of...but I had it on recently, and thought about it... it's all there. I remember as a kid watching the reruns thinking that he had a "way with the ladies", and I think the show's popularity that he had a way with the ladies watching the show at home, too.

In a recent book, Alda had talked about 2 girls approaching him sometime in the 70s, saying how clever he was and laughing at everything he was saying even if it wasn't funny. He was hanging with 2 of the writers, saying "these are the guys that make me funny", and wanted to send them their way, but the girls ignored them and kept focusing on Alda.

Later episodes with BJ and Winchester don't apply.

sheriff
01-2008-13, 01:43 AM
From my seminar handout:

Captain Errol

By George MacDonald Frasier – the following story is taken from the McAuslan series by GMF – a set of short stories about a young Scottish army officer immediately after the Second World War. The character described in the paragraphs I’ve transcribed – Captain Errol – is remarkable in that he shows so many qualities of a naturally attractive guy. He leads and dominates, he doesn’t care about getting social rules wrong (although if called on them, doesn’t get aggressive) and most importantly – refuses to compete or argue with people – just carries on on the path he’s chosen. It can be hard to find good role models of some of these traits in real life, so I’ve enclosed what I consider to be a fantastic role model from literature...

He had the same casual, self-assured swagger of the man who is well content with himself and doesn't give a damn whether anyone knows it or not; when you have two strings of medals, starting with the M.C. and M.M. and including the Croix de Guerre and a couple of exotic Balkan gongs at the end, you don't need to put on side. Which was just as well, for Errol had evidently been born with a double helping of self-esteem, advertised in the amused half-smile and lifted eyebrow with which he surveyed the world in general - and me in particular on the day he joined the battalion.

It was as I was turning to follow that I became aware of an elegant figure seated in a horse-ghari which had just drawn up at the gate. He was a Highlander, but his red tartan and white cockade were not of our regiment; then I noticed the three pips and threw him a salute, which he acknowledged with a nonchalant finger and a remarkable request spoken in the airy affected drawl which in Glasgow is called 'Kelvinsaid'.

"Hullo, laddie," said he. "Your platoon? You might get a couple of them give me a hand with my kit, will you?"

It was said so affably that the effrontery of it didn't dawn for a second - you don't ask a perfect stranger to detach two of his marching men to be your porters, not without preamble or introduction. I started at the man, taking in the splendid bearing, the medal ribbons, and the pleasant expectant smile while he put a fresh cigarette in his holder.

"Eh? I beg your pardon," I said stiffly, "but they're on parade at the moment." For some reason I didn't add 'sir'.

It didn't faze him a bit. "Oh, that's a shame. Still not to panic. We ought to be able to manage between us. All right, Abdul," he addressed the Arab coachman, "let's get the cargo on the dock."

He swung down lightly from the ghari - not the easiest thing to do, with decorum, in a kilt - and it was typical of the man that I found myself with a valise in one hand and a set of golf-clubs in the other before I realised that he was evidently expecting me to tote his damned dunnage for him. My platoon had vanished from sight, fortunately, but Sergeant Telfer had stopped and was staring back, goggle-eyed. Before I could speak the newcomer was addressing me again:

"Got fifty lire, old man? 'Fraid all I have is Egyptian ackers, and the coachman won't look at them. See him right, will you, and we'll settle up anon. Okay?"

That, as they say, did it. "Laddie" I could just about absorb, and even his outrageous assumption that my private and personal platoon were his to flunkify, and that I would caddy for him and pay his blasted transport bills - but not that careless "Okay?" and the easy, patronising air which was all the worse for being so infernally amiable. Captian or no captain, I put his clubs and valise carefully back in the ghari and spoke, with masterly restraint:

"I'm afraid I haven't fifty lire on me sir, but if you care to climb back in, the ghari can take you to the Paymaster's Office in HQ Company; they'll change your ackers and see to your kit." And just to round off the civilities I added: "My name's MacNeill, by the way, and I'm a platoon commander, not a bloody dragoman."

Which was insubordination, but if you'd seen that sardonic eyebrow and God-like profile you'd have said it too. Again, it didn't faze him; he actually chuckled.

"I stand rebuked. MacNeill, eh?" He glanced at my campaign ribbon. "What were you in Burma?"

"Other rank"

"Well, obviously, since you're only a second-lieutenant now. What kind of other rank?"

"Well ... sniper-scout, Black Cat Division. Later on I was a section leader. Why ... sir?"

"Black Cats, eh? God's Almighty Own. Were you at Imphal?"

"Not in the Boxes. Irrawaddy Crossing, Meiktila, Sittang Bend -"

"And you haven't got a measly fifty lire for a poor broken-down old soldier? Well, the hell with you, young MacNeill." said this astonishing fellow, and seated himself in the ghari again. "I'd heap coal of fire on you by offering you a lift, but your platoon are probably waiting for you to stop their motor. Bash on, MacNeill, before they seize up! Officers' mess, Abdul!" And he drove off with an airy wave.

The battalion's opinion was formed before Captain Errol had been with us twenty-four hours. He had driven straight to the mess, which was empty of customers at that time of day, smooth-talked the mess sergeant into paying the gharri out of bar receipts, made free with the Whisky unofficially reserved for the Medical Officer, parked himself unerringly in the second-in-command's favourite chair, and whiled away the golden afternoon with the Scottish Field. Discovered and gently rebuked by the Adjutant for not reporting his arrival in the proper form, he had laughed apologetically and asked what time dinner was, and before the Adjutant, an earnest young Englishman, could wax properly indignant he had found himself, by some inexplicable process, buying Errol a gin and tonic.

As he had begun, with the Adjutant and me, so he went on, causing ripples on our placid regimental surface which eventually turned into larger waves. One of the former, for example, occurred on his first night in the mess when, within half an hour of their first acquaintance, he addressed the Colonel as 'skipper'. It caused a brief silence which Errol himself didn't seem to notice; officially, you see, there are no ranks in the mess, but junior officers normally call the head man 'sir', especially when he is such a redoubtable bald eagle as our Colonel was. 'Skipper' was close to the edge of impertinence - but was said so easily and naturally that he got away with it. In fact, I think the Colonel rather liked it.

That it soon became plain, was Errol's secret. Like his notorious namesake, he had great charm and immense style; partly it was his appearance but most of it was just personality. He was casual, cocky, even insolent, but with a gift of disarmament, and even those who found his conceit and familiarity irritating seemed almost flattered when he gave them his attention. When he was snubbed, he didn't seem to notice; the eyebrow would give an amused flicker, no more.

The youngest subalterns thought him a hell of a fellow, of course, not least because he had no side with them; rank meant nothing to Errol, up or down. On balance, he was not over-popular with the troops, or the officers, but even they held him in a certain grudging respect. None of which seemed to matter to Errol in the least.

RandyDaytona
01-2008-14, 03:54 PM
_Hollywood_

TheOC
01-2008-14, 04:03 PM
Trent (Vince Vaughn) in Swingers.

_Hollywood_
01-2008-14, 04:04 PM
_Hollywood_

HAHAHA YES!

atmosphere01
01-2008-14, 10:34 PM
I like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting during the infamous bar scene, where he schools the AMOG.

jsaligeri
01-2008-14, 10:54 PM
I get a kick out of Michael Douglas in "The American President".

Jack Nicholson in just about any movie.

Daniel Craig in his first Bond.
Sean Connery, etc... etc.. etc... etc....

R

Roly
01-2008-18, 02:43 AM
All of the above and

Brad Pitt... especially in Oceans 11

Tom Cruise... especially in Top Gun

_Cane_
01-2008-18, 07:09 PM
Marlon Brando - Interviews & Movies

James Franco - Annapolis (there are some scenes where he gets super flirty with this hot chick and its an aweinspiring example of how to dominate even some of the hottest girls in the world with flirty playfullness and sexual body language **she is super hot**)

Bad Company
01-2008-19, 04:29 PM
Tony Soprano is a good one. A fat slob with a pepper for a nose, that pulls tail cause he exsudes power and doesn't give two shits about anyone. hell he struggled through out the series just to learn to be considerate of his wife and kids.

Impure
01-2008-21, 02:32 AM
Mine is Clint Eastwood in Fistfull of Dollars, For a few dollars more and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, and of course a few scenes from the Dirty Harry series.

HRHughes
01-2008-25, 03:46 PM
Tony Soprano is a good one. A fat slob with a pepper for a nose, that pulls tail cause he exsudes power and doesn't give two shits about anyone. hell he struggled through out the series just to learn to be considerate of his wife and kids.

One of my good friends was a very similar personality type, and he could get chicks like no other.

BroesBeforeHoes
01-2008-26, 04:35 AM
I get a kick out of Michael Douglas in "The American President".

Jack Nicholson in just about any movie.

Daniel Craig in his first Bond.
Sean Connery, etc... etc.. etc... etc....

R

I totally agree with your choises except that one about Daniel Craig in his first Bond movie. In my opinion he is mostly being to nice, anybody agree? Although, I may be wrong.

Pretender
01-2008-31, 12:35 AM
Tom Cruise :)

reaction
01-2008-31, 05:12 AM
I don't care much for fictional role models. Have you got any real ones? For me, Christopher Hitchens is "The Alpha Male" :). Never lets anyone interrupt him while he's talking and destroys any opponent he's debating.

JacquesK
01-2008-31, 05:01 PM
Brad Pitt especially in Fight Club

Bad Company
02-2008-01, 07:32 AM
Ya know speaking of Daniel Craig, his character in Layer Cake was excellent. Before seeing that movie i had no idea they were making good movies across the pond. Well there was Snatch, but that film always struck me as an American production in the UK.

orion76
02-2008-12, 08:48 AM
Ian McShane in Deadwood

brilliant! :)

Confidence Man
02-2008-12, 11:11 AM
For me the ultimate Alpha Male role model is Mr. Big from Sex and the City.

The name says it all. He just exudes confidence and really every Alpha characteristic there could be.

I studied him so to speak and it really helped me. He is a fictional character but perhaps the most realistic Alpha Man I ever saw.

Roly
02-2008-14, 01:29 PM
I don't think it matters at all if they are a fictional charachter. Because the things that make them alpha are body language, voice tone and speed, confidence, charisma. So what if it's acting?? Not sure that it matters if you're emulating Brad Pitt in fight club, or Brad Pitt in an interview on Letterman. It's easier to reference movies because we've all seen them.

Plus how many weak, pussy, beta guys can turn it on and fully "act" alpha in a movie but none of that carries over to real life?? I would wager not that many. I'd even go one step further and saying being an Alpha male in real life is practically a pre-requisite to play a leading man in Hollywood. I'd be shocked if any one mentioned here is a typical, beta "nice guy" off screen.

Specter
04-2008-07, 04:33 PM
David Ducovney(sp?) on the show Californication he also has terrible oneitis though...Check out the show

BigDuke6
04-2008-07, 04:41 PM
Steve McQueen

Fedor
04-2008-07, 05:59 PM
Michael Corleone