PDA

View Full Version : Opening Large Sets

sturbo
01-2008-05, 08:09 AM
So I've ran into this a few times now... I'll use last night as an example, as it's the most recent.

Here's the situation: Me and a wing end up in a bar with only a few HB's. I notice a table that has about 10 people around it, I'd say 7-8 woman (2-3 HB8-9s), 2-3 guys. So we go over (I take him with me, given that it's such a large set I figure I could use the help, plus my opener was situational that involved him), but the problem is, how the hell do you open such a large set?

My initial thought is that initially I should be getting the attention of the whole table, but this is damn near impossible. No matter which direction you approach from, some of the people are just too far away for any interaction. I approached, and only got the attention of the two people nearest me (one on each side), they listen for a few minutes, then it seems that they feel obligated to get back to their friends. Probably my fault, as I was worried about not getting the attention of the table and that I would lose the set. And thats exactly what happened. I'm chalking this up to not my fault for not keeping interest. But wanted to know how others handle this...

Opinions? How do you guys handle this? Do you only worry about the 2-3 set that paid attention to the opener? And just handle the other people as distruptions if they enter? Do you not approach very large sets? Do you wait until they break off into smaller sets?

Rockynova
01-2008-06, 01:49 AM
I'm a newbie so I don't expect anyone to listen to me, but my theory is divide and conquer. Either that, or be an attention whore like a comedian.

A buddy of mine was in the bar Firday Night (1 day before the game) and he freaking wrang up the jukebox to play Hail to the Redskins like 3 times strait and made sure the whole bar knew it was him who played the song and tried to get as many people as he could to sing it along with him. It worked. He had the attention of a table of about 6-7 chicks clapping along and taking shots with him. He had an opening to transition anyway he wanted as all were focused on him.

Pana9
01-2008-06, 03:40 PM
I heard Mystery talk about this

What he said he does is "divide" the group. So for instance if there is 8 people, yet about 4 or so can only hear you, then think of it as two 4 sets and run your game

CrasherAnon
01-2008-06, 03:54 PM
I heard Mystery talk about this

What he said he does is "divide" the group. So for instance if there is 8 people, yet about 4 or so can only hear you, then think of it as two 4 sets and run your game

Yeah, I think it was a video... maybe from his latest gig with that Mike Long dude. (BTW- WHO THE HELL IS THIS MIKE LONG DUDE?)

But yeah, I saw it at some point too. And that's exactly what he said. Good call Pana9.

Chasetyler
01-2008-07, 01:50 AM
i agree with what u guys are saying but i think mystery ment when in a club or so about using the sound is like a curtain. If your somewhere quiet or even a bar can be quiet sometimes you cant split the group they all might be able to hear you, I opened a set one time with 7 and all i really thought about was who ever in the group had to most energy i was just alittle above them, and my goal was to get everyone's attention, i only talked to 3 of them but they all joined in because i was the center of attention. but i agree with everyone else saying you split the group but thats only if everyone cant hear you. Also if u do split the group you want to go where your target is.