PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please - opening in a queue/shop

billys21
10-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Grateful for your thoughts on the following;
I blew a great opportunity yesterday. I'd popped into a London supermarket to buy an orange juice, and had spotted a really cute blonde.
When I joined the queue, she joined behind me and there wasn't even anybody else behind to make the situation awkward. I hadn't held eye contact too long to creep her out, had eyed that she was buying sushi, was wearing a work uniform (lunch break), hadn't even had an attack of nerves as such... but still blew my chance before I was up to the cashier.
In hindsight, I should've used the orange juice or sushi as an opener.
Opinions please?

Loren
10-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Why not just use a standard opener? You want to keep the conversation interesting. So why do you want to talk about sushi or orange juice?

Grateful for your thoughts on the following;
I blew a great opportunity yesterday. I'd popped into a London supermarket to buy an orange juice, and had spotted a really cute blonde.
When I joined the queue, she joined behind me and there wasn't even anybody else behind to make the situation awkward. I hadn't held eye contact too long to creep her out, had eyed that she was buying sushi, was wearing a work uniform (lunch break), hadn't even had an attack of nerves as such... but still blew my chance before I was up to the cashier.
In hindsight, I should've used the orange juice or sushi as an opener.
Opinions please?

CheckmateSF
10-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I've been in the same position before. Just a few weeks ago there was an HB9 in the line behind me. She looked tired, like it had been a long week. She looked like she just wanted to pay for her stuff and go home. But frankly, she was so beautiful (such lovely blonde hair, even though I normally prefer brunettes ... and those eyes, such a striking blue), that I just said "what the fuck? I'm learning this shit for times just like this. Strike out or not, I'm gonna try!"
So I did. My standard opening is just "Hi", with a big smile and eye contact. Totally engaging the woman in a nice atmosphere, of someone who is happy, smiling and interested in getting to know them. This is basically what Juggler recommends, and it normally works for me. About half the time that much positive energy gets a women's face to light up. For me, that's success in the A&O phase.
This is how it went with the HB9 in line behind me:
CheckmateSF: Hi!
HB9: Hi
CheckmateSF: How are you today?
HB9: OK.
CheckmateSF: Just OK? You mean, there's *nothing* exciting that's been going on lately?
At this point she starts smiling. She realizes that this isn't going to be "just another chat". It went beautifully after that. I think, frankly, that she wanted me to number close her. But at that point in my development, I was just delighted with the success of creating a positive social interaction wtih a beautiful woman who just happened to be behind me in line at the supermarket.
Let me know if this works for you.
CheckmateSF