PDA

View Full Version : Getting in the right state of mind

TheBrain86
08-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Looking for some great quotes to read through before I go out to help pump me up. Not necessarily looking for the classics. More modern ones involving confidence and self-esteem.

Thanks in advance.

Brain

adaptordie
08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
i was in a depressive funk today....went out shopping and bought a bunch of new clothes and talked to a few of the counter girls...helped get me back a bit. something about some fresh gear always raises the confidence levels..

rozer
08-09-2012, 05:04 AM
adaptordie, lol, thanks for reminding me about that. Incredible as it may seem, I'd forgotten what a boost some nice new clothes can be. I've had some tough times economically for the last couple of years and have held off purchases that entire time (astonishing as that may sound). Well, the fact that I absolutely loath most of what passes for "fashion" these days has also contributed. (I like "classic," manly clothing, not this hipster faggot crap I see everywhere.)

But this isn't what the OP was asking for.

The OP's correct. Sometimes saying the right words to oneself can make all the difference at critical junctures. One line I've used with varying degrees of success (it doesn't always have the same effect) is "courage is acting WITH fear." When it works, its effect is that it pushes me over the edge to the point I will take action, even though I'm still feeling nervous or in the back of mind telling myself this could all blow up; but as long as I can take those first few steps I often surprise myself at how well it goes. I haven't told myself this in quite some, now I think about it. That's probably one reason why I've found myself shying away from approaches and/or escalations in recent times.

BetterThan
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I agrew with rozer. Telling yourself that you're already the man is a well-known way of assuring some action out of yourself.

Believe that you're the man, repeat it to yourself, listen to pump up music (Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Kid Cudi all work for me), and look in the mirror and stare that monster of a man in the eye and KNOW that you can get women. Other ways to get yourself "in the mood" is with warm-up sets, talking to strangers, talking to anyone, and basically getting into that talkative mood.

Another tip, though: remove alchohol from the situation. If at all possible, don't get ridiculously drunk to talk to women, just drinking a couple beers should be good. Gaming sober is much more rewarding and gives you better experience.