PDA

View Full Version : Using music as a hoop? (specifically guitar)

xAliasx
05-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Ok, this is just a short bio to use for reference: I've been playing drums for about 5 years and now guitar and singing for about 6 months.
After being able to play drums for a long enough time, I noticed it was hard to actually play something in public (school for example), without annoying the hell out of people after a bit. Don't get me wrong, I still play the drums and love them to death, but stick tricks can only get you so far in public, and otherwise - it's just a shitload of noise. And, it wasn't portable... so I started playing guitar, carrying it around school, ect. At first it was just for show. The big ass case that screams "I'm a motherfuckin' badass". lol Now, (6 months later), I can play a shit load of songs, and actually sing to a couple of them, top to bottom.
What I wanted to know, for anyone out there that either plays an instrument or has some what of a hobby that they can use to their advantage in a set (like magic, art, ect)... How can I turn the guitar playing into a "hoop"? This is considering that I'm at school. At my house I suppose the situation would be different, since it's a comfort location. Akin to maybe making a girl spin before doing an impersonation again. But instead.. when I take my guitar out in class or lunch, girls usually want to hear me play due to curiousity, and I'm not shy in that aspect. But I would like to see if there's a way I could make them jump through a hoop first. Or would that even be necessary?

Iceman
05-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Its a pretty good DHV yourself...if they want to hear you play, play for them. Just ONCE though. Play something funny, if you can sing at the same time, or just something you like.
Then, if they ask you to play again...:
HBsGettingGamed: OMG! Play something else!
You: Hey, I'm not just here for your entertainment. Give me a good back massage and I'll play again.

Vincent Chase
05-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Hey Icy, baby.
Try the sig now.
I'm not so sure why you would want to turn your musical abilities into a hoop, they're devices better left solely for DHVing. Obviously, if they try to get you to jump through their hoop by playing another song you could re-frame it, as suggested by Ice. If, however, YOU want to hoop her (initially) I'm not so sure:
1.) Why
B.) To What End (ANY hoop?)
and
lastly, How exactly to answer.
I think i'm just unclear about what you're asking.

Voo
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Play 2 short songs to girls, leave the shred at home, do a fast little flurry so she can see how skilled you are with your fingers (she'll think about this).
Play a funny song at first, just something to make her laugh, then play something slow and soft (not dreary).
Learn to play 'Lenny' by Stevie Ray Vaughn, play this slowly and softly and look at her occasionly, she will MELT. Play it with all the heart and soul you have, let her see it. Every girl I've played this melody to has turned to putty in front of me, learn it and learn it well. Play it to a friends girlfriend in front of him and watch him get jealous of the IOI's you get, that's fun.

Dragon
05-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Agree with Vincent Chase and Iceman here. Pushing it further though, depending on your guitar just putting it on your back and walking around with it would be a good silent story. Bit offtopic from hoops but it relates still to PU.

xAliasx
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah... good stuff, I'm takin' all the damn advice into play. Yeah, I probably said it wrong. Now that I think about it, the hoop I wanted to avoid wasn't the initial one but the second one, where they ask to keep playing songs. lol I was looking for some sort of sound bite (like the message one) to respond with. Perfect.
Oh, and I'll check out the "Lenny" song, and try to look for a funny song, hadn't thought of it. Lately I had just been learning popular songs that I can sing to and everyone's heard of. That way I can keep people off my back while I practice the harder shit at home, and still seem like I'm not just "some guy carrying the guitar around for looks"... although, that does seem to work for others :] thanks

Vincent Chase
05-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Lately I had just been learning popular songs that I can sing to and everyone's heard of.
Try learning Oasis' "Wonderwall"
Apparently it's encoded into our DNA

javajunkie
05-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Try learning Oasis' "Wonderwall"
Apparently it's encoded into our DNA
my sides are splitting at that one.
My advice would be to learn a few easy Strum 'n' sing ones.
ie.
paint it black - rolling stones
steady as she goes - raconteurs
Zephyr song - rhcp
Just like heaven - the cure.

apg96
05-21-2006, 08:02 PM
xAliasx u need to be careful with this one. So douche bag brought his guitar to school on the last day of classes (last friday). He was playing in EVERY class, even during the movie we were watching in one. U may get a few girls attention but most guys will be annoyied and with most girls too. I was actually offered money by numerous girls to make him stop.
When u do play make sure its an appropraite time, perhaps at the beach with a bonfire, at ur house or whatever. Also if they see it hanging around and ask u to play. Dont just start playing as it may annoy the girl ur gaming.
most important is u need to be good.

xAliasx
05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, good point. I realized that the other day. lol I keep bringing it to school to play during class. At one point though, I was playing in math class really soft in the back and the two girls in earshot got really annoyed (thankfully they were ugs). Taught me a lesson though.
I put it away for a bit and left it in its case in the corner. 30 mins before class ended, a 7 asked me to play. Worked better that way.
So yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going on vacation for about a week to Orlando soon, so for now I'm just learning good play-n-sing songs that are popular. Thanks for the advice though.
You gotta either play really smooth, or be able to sing and play good enough. I'm doing the latter, and I'm gonna try and get some singing lessons during the summer so I can eventually even use that as bait in sets. It would be akin to mystery's magic tricks I suppose... or in comfort. Hell if I know, that's just planning for the future. Alright, thanks for the help guys.

Vincent Chase
05-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, good point. I realized that the other day. lol I keep bringing it to school to play during class. At one point though, I was playing in math class really soft in the back and the two girls in earshot got really annoyed (thankfully they were ugs). Taught me a lesson though.
I put it away for a bit and left it in its case in the corner. 30 mins before class ended, a 7 asked me to play. Worked better that way.
So yeah, I know what you mean. I'm going on vacation for about a week to Orlando soon, so for now I'm just learning good play-n-sing songs that are popular. Thanks for the advice though.
You gotta either play really smooth, or be able to sing and play good enough. I'm doing the latter, and I'm gonna try and get some singing lessons during the summer so I can eventually even use that as bait in sets. It would be akin to mystery's magic tricks I suppose... or in comfort. Hell if I know, that's just planning for the future. Alright, thanks for the help guys.
Two of my Girls live in ST Pete Beach and Clearwater respectively. If you're ever in that area, I've turned them sex crazy (they're not fools mates though) they show you a killer time if you know where to follow them and how to ask.

Ringshifter
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
So I'll admit I didn't read most of the Post but here goes.
I've been playing guitar for about 13 years, I'm pretty decent, and I do alot of Intricate Jazz Funk stuff, while it may show that I'm skilled at the guitar, girls could really care less.
also bringing your guitar around school, doesn't make you look like a badass, I think it makes you look like a tool. it makes you look try hard, like your saying "look at me I play guitar I'm a badass"
How I roll is this, and I do this every time and it works.
some goofball shows up to a party with his guitar, plays a bunch of tough songs and shows of his skills, some people like it some don't.
after he runs out of steam I say "hey man can I see that for a sec"
he reluctantly hands over the guitar, realizing that with out it he's a chump
then I play this one song, you don't even need to be able to sing to play it, cause everyone in the area will crowd over and sing with/for you.
and that song is......... Oasis - Wonderwall.....
EVERYONE knows it, its easy to sing, most people kinda know the words, and its actually fun to play.
EVERYTIME I play it I usually have the entire party singing, people stop what they're doing, because there IS something to be said for live music, just the RIGHT live music.
lemme tell you this, when you have a guitar in your hands and your singing and playing that song, and everyone is looking at you its INSTANT DSHV! instant alpha male, you are temporaily the closet thing to a rockstar where ever you are.
while singing interact with people, move around with the guitar a bit, do sing with someone (like a HB its kinda like opening)
then before your steam runs out and you lose their attention, end it prematurely on the I chord, give the guitar back to the chump say thanks (he'll look either mad, shocked, or dispointed)
then use your value and find a HB who was singing.
your odds double but 1000% works every time.

Vincent Chase
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
and that song is......... Oasis - Wonderwall.....

I"M TELLING YOU GUYS!, Wonderwall. There is a guitar adaptation of that one corny ass Keane song that most folks like too but Wonderwall usually does better.
Didn't y'all ever hear Deoxyribonucleicwonderwallbyoasis Acid?
Jeez, man.
I've been playing guitar for the past year and a half. I can be in a group and start playing some Metallica or some Django Reinhardt, hell I'll even play some improv, i'll dance all up and down the next flashy like... and nada.
Then I'll get out my soft pick and start strumming wonderwall, every dumbass for a mile around will start singing it. The reason I learned the song in the first place is because when I was down in Florida two years ago on the fourth of July, some douche was on the beach just playing it to himself, 4 minutes later I come back outside and the dude is STILL playing the song but now he's surrounded by no less than 20 people, someone lit a bonfire, chicks were dancing, everyone was singing and more people were coming! Jaw dropping.

Ringshifter
05-26-2006, 10:59 AM
See! I speak no lies
lol

Nox
05-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Sorry to piss on everybody's campfire here, but dude, don't learn Wonderwall. Or at least don't learn ONLY Wonderwall.
Every single chump out there (at least here were I live) that has at least once played a guitar knows that song, and will play it when given the oportunity. A Venusian Artist should have something better to offer.
Learn something else, that has soul and power, that is CONGRUENT with your personality.
I normally play "Nothing Else Matters" (Metallica). But that's just me.

Vincent Chase
05-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry to piss on everybody's campfire here, but dude, don't learn Wonderwall. Or at least don't learn ONLY Wonderwall.
Every single chump out there (at least here were I live) that has at least once played a guitar knows that song, and will play it when given the oportunity. A Venusian Artist should have something better to offer.
Learn something else, that has soul and power, that is CONGRUENT with your personality.
I normally play "Nothing Else Matters" (Metallica). But that's just me.
Obviously don't only learn ONE song. That's a little obvious.
I love Metallica but I think the subject matter and tonality of the song isn't as accessible to most close-minded women, at least not as much as a song like "Wonderwall." Try learning The Beatles "Blackbird" in addition to "Wonderwall" and "Nothing Else Matters" and you can't go wrong with a little Jack Johnson, I still haven't figured it out but it's audio orgasm to plenty of women.

xAliasx
06-03-2006, 12:45 PM
I just got back from Orlando... thanks for the replies. I've been getting into John Mayer and I know some Incubus songs, Goo Goo Dolls, 3 doors down, little bit of nickelback... stuff that I can sing and play pretty much. I've learned a couple other seperate ones too.
I haven't gotten into electric yet, so I'm sticking to acoustic type songs. Yeah, wonderwall is an easy song to play, so I'll just add that on there. In fact, I've never heard anyone play that song at my school... wierd. I'll go and memorize that song then, thanks.
P.S. Sarging with only 2 routines and an opener sucks ass... I don't know, that's just my opinion. I did a lot of reading and watching, but little memorizing.

godzilla
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm hanging out with these girls tomorrow night, and I plan on going to the coffeshop to talk. Then I'll tell them about this sweet Joe Pass chord melody solo I've worked on. I'll say something like, "I've got my guitar with me, I have to show it to you guys. But I'm not giving a parking lot concert." Then I'm going to suggest that we go to one of their houses to watch a movie and I'll play it for them there. I think this should be pretty strong DHV, because from my expierences guitar makes girls go all doe-eyed. Maybe then I'll teach them a chord or something. W/e, I hope this gives you some ideas. I haven't tried this yet, but I'll let you know how it works.
I'd like to get some ideas too on how to smoothly incorporate playing guitar for girls as DHV into the game

Fean
06-10-2006, 05:02 AM
I play guitar myself (I'm mainly a bass player), anyways I learned the Supermario song(the one on the video game "Supermario Bros"). Haha it's so fucking funny to play, doing some harmonics to make the sounds that comes when you take those points. I learned it from a guitarlesson video. Don't remember who it was. Anyways, I play it for chicks and they go cracking!

arekaye
06-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Really wanna DHV yourself? Learn how to play an instrument well and make a band.

TheChaos
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Really wanna DHV yourself? Learn how to play an instrument well and make a band.
Great DHV
But i read the first post and being a Drummer can be a DHV, learn to make social tricks using your drummer skills or anything like it.
A good example is a Percussion Band that has a show in london called Blast!. On the DVD from a show, during the break when people go to the lounge and drink something, they get bar stools and with the sticks they start to make cool music and nice tricks! Worth see it

Fean
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
I play bass, and I use my fingers on my right hand to make noise(if I don't use the pick) And I'm pretty good with them. And when I play in front of girls, I use to play extra hard. And then I tell them, eyy, my fingers are fast ;)
Anyways, now I'm so fucking pissed. Where on this "party" and I got in this superbad mood. I didn't want to talk to anyone other with my male friends that I came with. And they just got drunk. I did get a bunch of IOI's anyways though, and the worst of all, a girl called me "you're so much ""Normal"" than the others" haha, I just told her "if you had known me, you would never ever have thought of saying that at ALL!"
Sorry I'm drunk
-fean

Moth
06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
This is an awesome thread. What about violin? I'm a violinist and I'm into more technical type stuff like jazz etc. Any ideas on a few songs I should have ready? Keep in mind I have to keep to a melody, chords aren't quite as accessible on the violin.

Vincent Chase
06-24-2006, 12:23 PM
For a quick laugh you could do it fiddle style, with "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."
Otherwise, I'm at a loss for songs that could translate well to the violin. Thanks a lot, now i'm going to have to ponder this all fuckin' day. Jerk.
=]

Moth
06-25-2006, 11:24 AM
For a quick laugh you could do it fiddle style, with "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."
Otherwise, I'm at a loss for songs that could translate well to the violin. Thanks a lot, now i'm going to have to ponder this all fuckin' day. Jerk.
=]
Haha yeah I already mastered that one, dont think its the hottest song ever though. Too bad most girls don't know their 40s jazz, else I could bust out some pretty stephane grapelli tunes.
How about some Antonio Carlos Jobim/Sinatra type stuff? Like Girl from Ipanema, Angel Eyes...

Voo
06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Consider your songs as routines, play something that has a mix of emotions to lead her through, then cut all the shit out that is unnecessary, keep it short and simple and to the point.

Capricio
06-29-2006, 07:17 PM
I've played guitar for a number of years, drums for 10, bass, piano, and I sing. I've also studied music and Berklee College of Music in Boston and Middle Tennessee State University
It's been my angle way before I new what game was.
All those party songs are great, but I find it works best to do a sing along and then bust out a soft heart felt ballad. Jason Mraz(After and Afternoon) has been my favorite and an instant pantie dropper if you can carry his melodies.
Try coming up with a set of material, maybe 5 to 6 songs and book a show opening for a local band. Tell your friends about it, you can invite possible interests if you like, I prefer to show up to my gigs and just talk to people and I don't know. I won't tell them I'm performing and it impresses the shit out of them when all of a sudden I have to excuse myself and then I'm playing my set. Afterwards I don't even have to talk to the girls(if I played well)m the work is done.
Also if you do a set or if you are playing at a party, use your instant alpha male status to the fullest. I'm not naturally a funny guy but I found I can make everyone in the room laugh if I say something remotely funny if I have a guitar in my hand or if I'm behind and mircophone.
of course it depends if you're playing well or not also, hands down the most important factor(obviously)

ares911
07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
a funny song that will always get a laugh is fuck her gently by tenacious D. its brilliant.

McNasty
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah play Wonderwall......and then stop for a bit.....when they tell you to play something else you don't necessarily need a "hoop" just tease them for a sec with "what am I just here to amuse you?? how bout you do something for me?".....she'll either do something stupid or nothing at all.....in which case you MUST play "Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton.....this is such a good sounding song and will show a sensitive side to you that the girls will eat up. I've seen a guy play this song at night around a camp fire and the girls were hooked.....even I wanted to bone him lol

Lancelot
07-05-2006, 07:17 PM
a funny song that will always get a laugh is fuck her gently by tenacious D. its brilliant.
Always make sure to let her know that you'll bar her, discreetly.

Bullitt
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
This thread reminds me of watching two college buddies of mine arrange "Regulators" by Nate Dog and Warren G on guitar. They played this at a few open mikes at it was always really funny because they would so commit to it. The progression is very basic and the lead player can easily layer on that synth melody that runs throughout the song. Just playing the chords and and learning a few of the verses would be enough to get a laugh.