The Rock Look

Thread: The Rock Look

12 LastLast
    Manchester - England

The Rock Look

Hello, Ive been around the forum for a while but not really posted or anything. As a listener of rock music - heavy metal- its a part of me and my personality I would like to express outwards; but without the typical band t shirts thing everyone who is a rocker does. Are there any specific peacocking accessories anyone can think of? The tramp rock star look is easy, Im thinking the classy stylish rock star, but on a university students' budget. I have looked at rock stars like Slash ( who looks awesome) but his style is so unique its quite difficult to replicate or do without instantly been compared to him. Hi everyone btw.!

Welcome to the boards.

I'd say a denim jacket would be the first place to start. It's part of the rock/metal uniform, has been for ages.

Perhaps you could put up some pics and give us a better idea of what you have in mind when you say "classy" rock star. Are we talking Bono or Peter Gabriel, or what?

Google image search Dragonforce. They have a classic rock style that would make you stand out just enough.

Ha I first thought you meant Dwayne Johnson

Check out Stu Block from Into Eternity, he has a really good look. Plus they are an awesome band if you haven't heard of them.

I think two really cool peacocking items are leather cuffs or bracers, and really ornate metal crosses.

Michigan (Atlanta soon)

What is a rocker?

A rocker is an artist inside and out. If you want to look like a rocker, dress like you would if you had to be on stage and look outrageous to the people in the back row. I've been working on this look for years now.

Colors, pick a color scheme I prefer bright reds contrasted over black.

Accessorize: bracelets, piercings, tattoos, necklaces, hats, chains, spikes, sweatbands

Hair: consider dye, unnatural colors, asymmetrical shape, product, if you're going long, keep it clean. If you have natural curls, go with them, do them on purpose, women will always talk about how jealous they are of your curls. Classic mohawk gives a solid "I don't give a fuck" attitude

shirts: band shirts are ok, make sure they fit, the xl on the guy who fits into a small looks bad. bright colors. a black long sleeve with a hot pink wife-beater(i hate that term, but tank top seems like its something different) over it. Thrift stores are great for this contrast/layered look. Ironic band shirts are ok. being dressed that elaborately with a "new kids on the block" shirt will get some laughs and even some openings.

Jacket: leather, denim, blazer, vests whatever. use pins, buttons, patches, the more obscure the better in my opinion, but thats how i like it.

Facial Hair: notice the design on the picture posted, he did that shape on purpose. I've done everything from recockulous chops, soul-patch, fu-manchu, chin-beard, it doesn't matter, just groom it every day and make it look on purpose.

Pants: Experiment with girl pants(i've had girls grab/slap my ass them on numerous occassions at shows, and guys even say that i confused them because they thought my ass was gorgeous, they weren't gay). jeans, leather. regular pants are cool too. bright colors odd designs, just make sure they work for your body.

shoes: Boots are good for the metal thing, converse is good for the indie thing. I actually had this great pair of shoes by a company called earth. They were made of recycled tires and hemp and they were the greatest shoes I've ever experienced.

Makeup: guyliner, maybe even just on one eye or something wierd.

If you dress larger than life, be larger than life.
    Be creative and congruent with the image you create.

The guy that's a dime a dozen cliche afc shy virgin that ive seen in the midwest is the long greasy haired, pale skinned, Metallica: "Ride the Lightning" T-shirt and jeans that both don't fit(no offense guys if thats you, I used to be that guy in high school).

When you say "tramp rock star" I'm thinking you mean the guys with the long hair and the random 80s metal band shirts on... Look at the following pics:

The only difference is the top hat, glasses, and leather vest. Those 3 items take the look from general wannabe rock star, to ultimate rock god. Now obviously you can't copy slash without looking just like him, but take his basic idea, which is to dress the a rocker, and then make it look over-the-top. Bam, instant rock god look.

7. The leather jacket is a good idea.

Personally sticking to black is boring and too common. I would recommend that if your were black shirt make sure it has a logo on it which is bright. I have a black shirt with a yellow lighting bolt on the front and the brand name in a faded white - thats a modern day rock fashion shirt in my books. Vibrant colours on black work - but don't overdo it. Most important I think are the accessories - things like big belt buckles - simple wrist bands (I wear two black wristbands which are about the thickness of 3 rubber bands tied around my wrist - its small simple and goes with any look) and other things like ear studs. Personally I would love to find a stud which had a STAR shape on the end and had the words ROCK in it, hahaha that'd be sweet.

Manchester - England

All wicked stuff. The whole black colour I think is a bit overused so Im trying to get away from it. Im sort of at most of these suggestions already, but I think its just an issue of improving the quality of each piece of clothing. The problem is some "nice" bars get a bit fussy when it come to certain aspect of clothing so my main concern was the kind of thing you could wear as say a smart restaurant or likewise and still preserve your style. Not sure about Dragon Force and God no not Bono! Thanx for all this help though. I have alot to think about. Seem like quite a few guys are into the rock look, good to know. It gets you quite alot of attention any ways, which is great! Slash top hat is basically the ultimate peacock item i think. It even has its own fan club mind you. Cheers

suffragette city

copying a stage look would work well in a club, but check out some pics of the older richer rock guys when they attend premiers and stuff

Tommy Lee scrubs up well but still has an edge

Manchester - England

Premiers, thats a sweet idea. I was trying to work out where I could get such photos. I like your thinking!