Home Cookin' - Page 6

Thread: Home Cookin'

FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. just wanted to share this one
    spaghetti alle vongole - clams and spaghetti - this is a classic: looks awesome and takes about 10 mins so she can sit there with a glass of wine and you'll be done before she even needs a top up! you can talk about clams coming from venice etc. great meal.

if you want some real talking pieces then i suggest trying some of Heston Blumenthalls recipes

whale vomit for starter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4d2F...eature=related

6 foot alive-pidgeon pie for main:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww8X6...eature=related

and Dildo Jelly for desert:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQrLlds_IB8

who's not going to want to come for that meal ???

but if you haven't got access to a science lab and a DIY store then his book has some cool stuff in it too

3. The Attraction Forums, I came for the girls but stayed for the food

Almond Chicken:

Ingr.
    1 Medium sized onion (optional. Really!)
    500 gr (1.1 lb) of chicken skinless chicken breast.
    130 gr (0.280 lb) of peeled Almonds.
    Flour.
    4 tea spoons of Soy Sauce.
    1 tea spoon of Fresh Ginger peeled and minced.
    1 table spoon of oil.
    Salt

1) One table spoon of oil into a pan, throw in the Almonds and roast until brownish golden color is obtained.
    2) Cut the chicken breast into small cubes (aprox. size of the almonds).
    3) Dip the chicken cubes obtained from point "2" into the flour covering them in flour.
    4) Mince the onion and throw in the onion, ginger with 4 tea spoons of oil into a wok and let it cook for 10-15 minutes on a low flame.
    5) Add the chicken cubes to the onion/ginger mix and let cook on a low flame for 20 minutes.
    6) Add the soy sauce 5 minutes before the chicken is well cooked and mix well and add aprox 40 ml of lukewarm water.
    7) Mix and until the mix does not acquire and walnut color.
    8) Add the almonds to the mix and mix well.

Ready to serve.

You could also start off with a Cheese n' Honey appetizer (Sweet Gorgonzola goes great with Acacia honey, jams would also work great. Brits have aced it when it comes to Jams, can't go wrong!) with some pairs (choose the soft ones).

The most important part is how you present the food (something I am terrible at TBH). I would suggest investing in some
    decent dishes and food presentation skills.

As for wines check out my post in the wines section [edit]

Here are my two cents for the community today.
    Hope you enjoy it and have a nice day.

5. Bulgogi never fails - Unless you or your date dislike Asian food.. Bulgogi isn't spicy. Here's one way to make it.

Source: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi-and-bulgogi-stew

You can also use the bulgogi marinade with chicken, pork or just tofu/seitan if you're a vegetarian/vegan.. but I like beef the best. I always chop up some green onions & put them in there as well & I leave it to marinate for 24 hours, but you can leave it for as little as 20 or 30 minutes! It's especially fun if you get a portable hibachi or tabletop grill & you can have fun grilling the meat yourselves. Get some Soju/Shochu & serve with rice or Jab Gok Bap, if you're wanting to be healthy (it is a mixed grain rice dish, used in place of rice. See: http://koreanfood.about.com/od/ricea...Bap-Recipe.htm)

I serve it with rice, and a handful of side dishes.. Side dishes like a couple of the following: kimbap, which is sorta like a sushi roll, except Korean.. Mandu (dumplings) or mandu guk (dumpling soup-- mandu video shows how to make that, too) or wanja (savory "pancakes"), kkwarigochujjim (mildly spicy steamed peppers), and few kinds of kimchi.. There's almost 200 kinds of kimchi & I eat some almost everyday, so I just use whatever is on hand. baechu kimchi (napa cabbage kimchi), chonggak kimchi or kakktoogi kimchi (both are radish kimchi, just prepared slightly differently), yeolmu mulkimchi (summer radish kimchi, in a watery brine), oisobagi (stuffed cucumber kimchi), oijangajji (a different kind of cucumber pickle) & people tend to enjoy eating danmooji/takuan slices as well.. They're sweet & sour & bright yellow. The name varies, depending on if you buy it at a Japanese or Korean grocer.. They take months to make, traditionally. In Korea, bulgogi was served with various side dishes (7 or 8 of them) plus soup & rice, so I try to mimic that to the best of my ability. You can eat it plain, wrap the meat in a lettuce or a perilla leaf & eat it, or dip it in a sauce.

dipping sauce & alternate bulgogi recipe

For dessert, they usually just ate some kind of light fruit dish or drank tea... But I usually bake something, like lavender lemon bars, scones, ginger softs, er whatever. I love the ginger softs, though.. They taste like a ginger snap, but melt in your mouth.. or if I'm being lazy, I'll ask my mom to decorate something for me or go pick up something from her store (she's a professional cake decorator).

FirstFirst ... 23456