Robert B. Cialdini - Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

Robert B. Cialdini - Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B Cialdini

This book I found really concreted the concepts behind a lot of the PUGs out there in a manner using actually scientifically created experiments by PhD in psychology. It really explains a lot of why things work and donīt work on people.

Not only does this book seem to cover a lot of "Weapons of Influence" but gives lots of examples from experiments done in the field.

Some of the Topics covered include:

Preset Dispositions and how to use them

In the book these are describes as the *click and whirr* function of the human brain, this goes into great depth of how we over process stereotypes and how it can be abused to influence people.
    It also goes into the process of talking about comparison theories and how to use it for maximum impact. Later into this chapter goes into details of other funny little things such as reasoning, if you just say the word "because" before asking for something your more likely to get it.

(Example from book, standing in line for a photocopy machine
    he got 94% acceptance rate when he asked "Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine because Iīm in a rush" compared to the 60% acceptance rate when he just said "Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine?"

But heres the real killer the word because is the trigger for the *click whirr* so he asked "Excuse me, I have 5 pages. May I use the Xerox machine because need to make copies" a reason that is obvious, but he used the word beacuse and yet he still got a 93% success rate with out saying he was in a rush)

The Rules of Reciprocation

This goes into deep detail of how we feel obligated to repay favors and obligations. It also goes into detail about technique call "rejection then retreat " which involves asking a for a favor that you know will get rejected and then falling back to you intentional favor you wanted which is of smaller commitment , that they almost automatically accept.
    Then it goes into detail in the end about how people can defend against such attacks if they know there is a exploitive reasoning behind the favor or asking for a favor (why buying drinks in bars for girls doesnīt work on higher Social Value Girls)

I wont go into detail for the rest of the chapters as I dont feel like writing it all

Commitment and Consistency (A very David X Style approach of trapping people in their own words)
    Social Proof (a huge section)
    Liking
    Authority
    Scarcity

The real beauty of this book is that it doesnīt only tell you about these issues, but also give you ways to exploit them.This book can improve game and other factors in life other then game that persuasion is need. Its a solid book and cheap in comparison to most PUA books going for a messily $12 at amazon.

I give this a book a (9/10)
    for the reason that:
    +It explains the concepts in an easy to understand manner with lots of examples
    +It founds and concerts a lot of PUA concepts with Psychological evidence and testing
    +Its damn cheap

-It gets into to much detail at times and feels like its dragging on in certain areas

All in all, a great book, if this is the stuff that interest you, pick up this book!
    Last edited by Savoy; 11-07-2008 at 09:32 PM.

keepin nyc / nj dancers in check

This book is in my top 3 books of all time
    View Full Profile: Click Here 200 + Reviews (Most In Company History): http://www.theattractionforums.com/t...iew_fader.html (watch my journey from student to approach coach, to instructor, to master instructor, to stripper destroyer).

Best quote from a workshop review ever "Overall this bootcamp was a short colombian 10, his teaching ability is a 10, and his game is a 10."

My Bootcamp Schedule:
    NOPE

Don't Be A Victim (click, read & change your life)

play2win
    : There comes a point in everyone's life where they either have their dreams or the reasons they dont. You're the hero of your own story..... write a good one.

Try Walking In My Shoes
    You'll Stumble In My Footsteps

About 100 pages into this book. Extraordinary extraordinary book. Must-read.