Wine - Page 2

Thread: Wine

FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Room Temperature IS about 65 degrees, and a Refrigerator sits at about 50.
    Red= Room Temp.
    White= Fridge.

Not where I'm from. In Georgia it gets pretty hot and the temperature fluctuate.
    And a fridge is about 35-39 degrees not 50.
    Let me point out that was Wines.com recommendation, some books suggest a different temperature setting. Some go so far as a recommending different temperature for different varietals. Regardez http://www.wineintro.com/basics/temperatures.html Mine is set at @ 62-63 and is very nice. Notice the temperature listing for a Refrigerator.
    The corks are also important to consider. A wine refrigerator keeps the cork fairly moist so they do not dry out. If a cork dries out, air gets to the wine and spoils it, turning it to vinegar.

Pinot Noir, Red Zins, Chianti are my favs.
    The Sutter Home Zinfandel is reaally good.
    Any Chianti.
    My girlfriend likes the Cavit Pinot Grigio.
    Girls generally like whites.
    Last edited by Satyre; 02-06-2007 at 08:52 PM.

BAKO!!!, California

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikness View Post
    Room Temperature IS about 65 degrees, and a Refrigerator sits at about 50.
    Red= Room Temp.
    White= Fridge.

Not where I'm from. In Georgia it gets pretty hot and the temperature fluctuate.
    And a fridge is about 35-39 degrees not 50.
    In Cali, Room Temperature is about Perfect. My fridge is about....hold on....43 degrees.
    White is for girls that come by anyway, they don't know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwikness View Post
    Any Chianti.
    I am just starting to appreciate it and I've been drinking Reds for awhile now. Chianti, as well some Cabs and most Merlots, take time to find a taste for. At least in my experience...

We had a Pinot Noir last night, from my little fidge. I think think it could have been a little cooler. I'm gonna turn the temp down a little more for the reds, to about 61. and see. Still experimenting with this thing. Just got it in mid-January.
    From my experience girls don't like reds for two reasons. Reds are often to hot AND it turns their teeth purple.
    I learned about Chianti when I was in California (Monterey). A wine tasting had something called Sangiovese. It was great. I came home and couldn't find it anywhere. When I went to Italy and asked for it they didn't know either. Turns out Chianti is made from the Sangiovese grape. Chianti is a region in Italy and the wine kept that name over here.
    It used to be considered cheap (in the bad way) but the rep is getting better.
    The best Chiantis are Chianti Classico.

I had a good Pinot Noir the other night. Little Penguin. Light, Subtle good aftertaste. Anybody got any recs?

5. GQ has a wine article in the latest issue.

I saw the article in GQ...I had to goto the library to read it (what a nerd).
    It was good. Basically what it said was, Just drink what you like. It did mention some vintages as general rule of thumb. But I ain't got time to be remembering no dates on wine! and I'm a History major!

People get hung up on what to drink with what food. Chiken and phish are good with wite butt if you know the less hearty reds you can drink that too.
    Or you can be a rebel and drink Caberbet Sauvignon with fish or whatever. It don't make no nevermind.

7. Daily Pics

A good link to the Wine Spectator's daily tips for under 15$ bottles, when to drink (as in, should you cellar it, or drink it now)

Hollywood, Baby!!!

This thread is making me thirsty

Hey all. Check out the website winelibrary.com. Not only do they have a HUGE selection of wines at great prices, but the operations director has a vlog that is very educational, which is updated several times per week. I've learned more from Wine Library TV than any book.

And yeah, chicks definitely like white wine better than red. My gf loves white wine, so every weekend I buy something different. This weekend is a Sainte Croix Viognier. $5 at Trader Joe's! I love that place. BevMo is good, too.

Cheers!

MrEsquire Guest

I have read that a good rule of thumb for getting the right temperature for red wines is to keep them at room temperature, but throw the bottle in the fridge for 20 minutes right before consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by SuddenDiplomat View Post
    Check out the website winelibrary.com. Not only do they have a HUGE selection of wines at great prices...This weekend is a Sainte Croix Viognier. $5 at Trader Joe's! I love that place. BevMo is good, too.

Cheers!
    We in Georgia can not buy wine and have it shipped to us. So unforutnately no cool wine clubs or discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEsquire View Post
    I have read that a good rule of thumb for getting the right temperature for red wines is to keep them at room temperature, but throw the bottle in the fridge for 20 minutes right before consumption.
    That's true, red is definately better cooler but those 20 minutes are a long wait when you and others want a glass. I've read that it is better left in a fridge than out for various reasons but you should let it warm to get the right taste. that's a long wait too. Its best to pour it and warm it by cupping the glass in your hand. It does taste different at different temperatures.

I took some crap back i got from Christmas from the Crate and Barrell. I got a decanter. It was a little uppity to get but with the exchange at least I didn't have to pay for it. It's pretty great. Really sophisticated looking. Pour that wine down the spout, it looked good as hades. It's 'sposed to be good for the wine to let it "airate" and It was good.