What's the big deal with H&M clothing stores?

123 LastLast

What's the big deal with H&M clothing stores?

The topic of H&M clothing stores popped into my mind tonight, mainly because I was thinking about how I saw my first H&M while vacationing in England back in May and noticed that we don't have any of these shops in Ottawa.
    So I looked up H&M on Wikipedia. Discount priced clothing aimed at the high-fashion customer. Sounded like a turkey shoot for the price-conscious me.
    But then I remembered that Crono and I spent some time before our Toronto bootcamp seminar shopping around at the Eaton Centre. The clothing store that we spent the least amount of time in was H&M. One look at the clothes and we knew there was nothing outstanding about them. We passed through the store within five minutes, and spent more time at shops like Le Chateau, Holt Renfrew, Mexx, and Guess Marciano, which actually DO have nice clothes that I am comfortable spending money on.
    So what's the big deal with H&M? Does anybody actually shop there and look good wearing their seemingly unspectacular-looking clothing? Any good finds?

2. Trendy. Cheap price and quality. I didn't like it. Went to the one on 5th avenue in NY, too.

3. I was never amazed by the quality, though I have some friends which shop there regularly. I did like there accesories, and I'll probably be back now that I'm a poor college student.

I love H&M. They have special cooperations with big trademarks and expensive clothes, but cheap!

Texas

S'up Hysteria,
    H&M: Not a bad place to shop,it's the kinda of place that you check every other month. Not a place that'll you fill your wardobe but you'll find one or two pieces. It's very hit and miss.
    I've purchased a green, leafy shirt and suit/jacket which looks like leather.
    Z!
    Last edited by zoolander; 09-19-2006 at 03:35 AM. Reason: sp

Leeds

H&M you will find wonderful peices, you just have to dig... but when you do you can pull off something if done right that looks like it costs 10x what it actually did.
    Abraham Lincoln reportedly said that, [I]Given eight hours to chop down a tree, he'd spend six sharpening his axe.[/I]

It is also very good for cheap accesories.
    "I'm a poor lonesome cowboy, and a long way from home"

Theres a few of these stores in NJ and NY. I used pop in once in awhile but almost never found stuff I like. The prices are good and sometimes you can find something nice but overall I give it a thumbs down.
    So I don't think it's a big deal at all.

SF bay area.

For me, H&M = Hit & Miss
    I either find a great deal on something cool - or i brush of the entire visit.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]-GameBoy
    All your women are belong to me.[/COLOR]
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]I hear their periods attract bears... bears can smell the menstration. - Brick Tamlin[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"][B][COLOR="red"]Check out GameBoy's Game Theory: [/color][URL="http://theattractionforums.com/forum/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=24"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]Archive and Journal[/COLOR][/URL][/size] - updated 12/24/06: Songs I love to dance to.[/B][/FONT]
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Garamond"][B][COLOR="red"]And check out GameBoy's new [/color][COLOR="DarkBlue"]Blog[/COLOR][/size]: Devoted to all aspects of personal Style. (Including fashion)[/B][/FONT]

10. I don't know what's with the hype either. I think most of the stuff is cheap and looks it too. Yea it's "trendy" but it's so painfully obvious that it's not the REAL thing that I didn't care for it much.
    The only thing is that unlike other cheap stores, they don't seem to target fat or chubby people (gap). But then again if you're skinny/in good shapem Mexx, Guess, Buffalo or Dom Rebel make much nicer stuff.