Project Rockstar 2016 - Pre-Training Fitness Program Weekly Journals

12345 ... LastLast
    Sterling is offline Certified Love Systems Instructor

Project Rockstar Head Instructor

Project Rockstar 2016 - Pre-Training Fitness Program Weekly Journals

The Project Rockstar 2016 class has been selected!

Project Rockstar represents a complete life transformation unlike any other. From the moment the Rockstars are selected the training begins. Before the 10-week program officially kicks off in July, the Rockstars have to go through a mandatory, extremely grueling fitness program. They are tracked daily, with photos and measurements submitted every week for assessment, and pushed to the absolute limit.

Roughly 2-3 hours of gym time every day for 12 weeks and preparing ALL their own meals as part of a strictly controlled nutrition and diet program. That means upwards of 4,000 calories a day for those gaining mass, and less than 1,500 calories a day for those losing weight. With no question the guys will be stepping into summer in the best shape of their lives.

Through their struggle and transformation, we hope to impart inspiration in your own journey of self-improvement. While these lucky guys have an overwhelming amount of support and pressure to succeed, there's no reason that any of them, or you, couldn't go through something like this on your own.

It is my pleasure to present the Project Rockstar 2016 fitness journals.

Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator
    www.simplifiednatural.com

Love Systems 10-day Bootcamp
    Co-Creator and Lead Instructor

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

Simplified Natural reviews
    Simplified Natural Q&A (13000 views - #1 all-time most viewed Products thread!)

10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2016
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2015
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2014
    10-day Bootcamp - Sydney 2013
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2012
    10-day Bootcamp - Sweden 2011

Thanks for the interest in all our review threads!!! We appreciate everyone's support in making Simplified Natural, Project Rockstar, and the 10-day Bootcamps the success stories they've become.

Introduction

Hey guys, my name is Edward and I’m from Birmingham in the United Kingdom.

Growing up I was very active and always had something going on, my weeks were packed with different sports, events and activities involving fitness. I was never overly concerned with my eating habits because whatever I ate would get burned off pretty easily. Having said that my nutrition has always been relatively clean. I like to cook and have prepared most of my own meals since moving out of home and going to university, so going onto a program where preparing your own meals is essential was not really an issue for me.

As you can probably guess, fitness was my life…that was until I started working in an office.

I had the appetite and diet of an athlete but leading a mostly sedentary lifestyle over the past few years (against all the habits instilled in me throughout my youth) led to me gaining body fat. I just felt like I had no energy, I had difficulty sleeping well and just became pretty lazy. I have since come to realise the portion sizes of my meals were deceptively leading me to be consuming far more calories than I had previously realised. I’m looking forward to seeing just how much my body will change over the course of the 12 week program with Sports Food Nutrition.

Week 1

Introduction
    My fitness transformation started on day zero at a body weight of 190.0lbs, 18.5% of which was body fat. At the beginning of the week there was a lot of scrambling around trying to get everything sorted and organised to make the rest of the week as smooth as possible.

Before the program started I was already preparing the majority of my own meals, so the transition onto the diet on the Sports Food Nutrition Program was minimal, it has still been challenging to cut out rice, pasta and sweet potatoes in order to shed body fat whilst maintaining/building muscle.

Week one is now complete.

Noticeable physical changes
    Visually I have noticed more definition around my muscles especially in the upper chest/shoulder area, also my bone structure is coming more pronounced.

In total I have lost about an inch and a half off my waist, hips and thighs. The consequence of this is that all of my clothes are looser. Some of my T-shirts are hanging off me but there is an especially noticeable difference in the fit of my jeans, in fact I can almost remove my jeans without the need to undo any buttons!

Challenges
    The cardio has been brutal. I have been opting to group all physical training together in the mornings. Starting with 20 minutes of cardio (the first block of cardio is always running), which also doubles up as a warm up, followed by the physical conditioning workouts and then finishing with the second 20 minute block of cardio training.

The first 20 minutes of cardio is always running but for the second 20 minutes, I have been mixing up my cardio training; running, cycling, rowing, stair climbing. I have been doing this for a couple of reasons; first, to stave off boredom and second, to compensate how wasted I am feeling after the main workout.

As the training program progresses the cardio training will become easier as I become more used to training for an extended period of time.

Body and Fitness
    In terms of actual physical strength, I feel that my biceps and triceps are the weakest part of my body. Although, as it is only week one, I am just settling into the new program but as the weeks progress I am expecting to see considerable gains in my strength development.

The cardio training has been particularly tough, especially completing the second set each day but gradually this will become second nature and I will be able to push harder and harder and therefore burn more calories.

Diet and Nutrition
    Oh…the hunger. During the first half of the week, food cravings have been rife. Full English breakfast, fish and chips and even chocolate rice krispie cakes. These cravings were strange because they are all foods which I’ve not eaten for over 12 months, perhaps even longer.

Although, once I had established a routine and immersed myself into the diet, all these cravings dropped away during the latter part of week 1. Seeing noticeably visible changes in the definition of my body has helped me to stay focused and resist those annoying food cravings.

However, according to my calculations I’m not hitting the carb targets. The fitness transformation brief broke down what each group could eat, as I’m in the ‘loser’ group, the brief advised to eat salads/vegetables with a focus on protein to maintain/build muscle mass, whilst body fat is stripped away, short of adding a couple of buckets full of salad leaves as opposed to rice or pasta, i’m not sure how I’m going to hit 700 calories from carbs.

Supplements
    For this 12 week fitness program I am using supplements provided by Sports Food Nutrition. As the weeks progress I will be explaining the exact supplement breakdown, timings and reviews of the hand-picked products.

Lessons on Perseverance and Hard work
    Having seen the changes I have experienced since the start of my body transformation and even though I am only one week into the fitness program, the changes have helped to keep me motivated towards my end goal.

Pushing hard in the gym each day to make sure every workout is as effective as possible, in order to see a dramatic transformation by the end. of the sports food nutrition program.

Changes in day-to-day life
    Since the start of my body transformation there have been a number of effects which have crossed over into my day-to-day life. I have been sleeping far better than I was previously and consequently I have been finding it easier to wake up in the mornings.

Another aspect of my day-to-day life which has improved is in me sticking to my morning routine. For my fitness transformation I decided to complete my workouts each morning as I have found that it sets me up for the rest of the day and any other activities I do are a bonus.

Bigger Takeaways
    At this stage of the program I have already realised I can push my body a lot harder than my brain initially tells me. This experience reminds me of something heard a former Navy Seals Commander say, that is; when your mind tells you that you can’t push anymore, it just means you are only 40% done. So when you are feeling wasted, you have a further 60% in the tank.

Conclusion/Closing thoughts
    Overall, week 1 has gone well. I started the week with a body weight of 190.0lbs with 18.5% body fat, and closed the week at 185.6lbs and 17.4% body fat. A total body fat loss of 1.1%. I feel like I have settled into the fitness program well and am looking forward to the visual changes over the coming weeks.

Bring on week 2.

Week 2

Introduction
    My body fat has continued to drop steadily over the course of the week. the body fat loss has not been as significant as the first week as there were some alterations I needed to make to my diet. I started the week at 17.4% body fat and the week closed at 16.9%.

Food preparation has continued to be very simple. I am becoming a lot more efficient in the gym and the cardio training is feeling easier than my first week on the transformation.

Week 2 is now in the past.

Visually, I have noticed an increase in the size of my biceps, and also increased definition around my triceps, in fact the tricep heads are starting to take on the characteristic diamond shape, as my overall body fat continues to drop over the coming weeks this feature of my arms will become more and more pronounced.

In total I have lost about a further half of an inch off my waist, hips and thighs, since the close of week 1. The consequence of this is that all of my clothes are looser and I think after 1 more week or maybe 2 there will be a need to replace some items in my wardrobe.

Challenges
    For the first week the cardio training was a real challenge for me. While it has still been challenging to complete, during week 2 I have noticed a difference in my ability to complete the 20 minute blocks at a much higher intensity, this is good not only for burning calories but also for developing better cardiovascular fitness.

Body and Fitness
    In terms of actual physical strength my arms are still weaker than the rest of my body but I have seen an improvement since last week. I am going to aim to increase the lifted weight for both my biceps and triceps on a fractional basis for each arm specific workout, the only drawback to this is I may not physically be able to finish the number of repetitions at the desired weight and will have to resort to a dropset for completion.

Diet and Nutrition
    At the beginning of the second week I needed to make some alterations to my diet as my actual carbohydrate consumption was considerably lower than my daily targets, the benefits of this was seeing significant changes in the composition of my body. However the drawbacks being a lack of readily available energy during workout sessions leading to increased levels of fatigue earlier on in my workouts and consequently training at lower than intended intensity levels. With the implementation of these alterations to my diet, the cardio training has become much easier and I have noticed a big difference in my ability to maintain a decent pace on the running machine.

According to my new calculations I am now in line with the intended targets for the loser group. As the week has progressed my energy levels in my workouts have been significantly different to my experience of week 1.

Food cravings this week have been non existent, I’m not sure whether this is due to me having detoxed my body of processed/ refined sugar products or having made the changes to my diet is leading to increased satiation. Perhaps even a combination of the two.

At the beginning of the week 2, I watched a documentary about food and had some realisations about the lifestyle I was leading. I should make a distinction that my diet pre-fitness transformation was not massively “un-clean”, although under closer inspection I was consuming far too many carbs than was necessarily required for me to see the dramatic reduction of body fat I was aiming for.

The first realisation I had from the documentary was that “Man-made” products are no substitute for naturally sourced food. Using natural cereals, pulses and vegetables as a source of carbs to fuel my workouts as opposed to using over-processed food products.

Eating food but not getting enough nutrients. The importance of consuming nutrient rich foods cannot be emphasised enough. ‘You are what you eat’.

Addicted to sugar - sugar addiction is becoming a more widespread issue globally with an obesity epidemic. The food industry is using sugar as a way of encouraging consumers to buy more and more of their products.

Artificial sweeteners cause carbohydrate cravings due to the body’s natural reaction to sensing a set substance entering it, the same hormones are released into the bloodstream and whatever has been consumed is then stored in the body…typically as fat.

“Dieting” for a period of time rather than altering both my lifestyle and my food environment. When the average person goes on a diet, which usually means restricting their calorie intake for a set period of time. They may successfully achieve their goal but within a short time after the diet, any initial weight loss would have been put back on and then some, in reality nothing has changed in their food habits.

In addition to the items I realised I was doing wrong I also had 3 ‘lightbulb’ moments, whilst watching the documentary.

Lightbulb moment #1
    Sugar - when your body receives sugar you are innately programmed to want more and more, this behaviour is derived from our caveman ancestors, as when a source of sugar was found the body wants to stock up for when times of famine strikes.

Lightbulb moment #2
    High nutrition, low calories vs. high calories, low nutrition. very little nutritional content, the body functions far better when energy is readily available for uptake.

Lightbulb moment #3
    The majority of the population are no longer eating food, but rather “food-like products” and 80-90% of any supermarket is having a negative effect on the health of its consumers. The more I walk around cities and open my eyes to what is being sold and consumed

Supplements
    For this 12 week fitness program I am using supplements from Sports Food Nutrition. As the weeks progress I will be explaining the exact supplement breakdown, timings and reviews of the hand-picked products.

Bigger Takeaways
    After the challenges of week 1 I realised that even though my body wasn’t being fuelled properly I was still able to push through my workouts. Now that I am fuelling my body in the right way I have continued to push myself hard during each and every workout.

The body is not able to make a distinction between hunger and thirst, therefore if a hunger pang strikes between meals I will have a drink (water, green tea or black coffee), this usually allows me to bridge the gap until it is time for my next meal. Although if after a drink I still feel hungry I will have a stick of celery or other low calorie/low glycemic index vegetable.

Overall, week 2 has built on the success of week 1. I started the week with a body weight of 185.6lbs with 17.4% body fat, and closed the week at 184.7lbs and 16.9% body fat. A total body fat loss of 0.5%. My body fat has continued to drop in the right direction.

Looking forward to week 3.

Week 3

Introduction
    My week three fitness transformation started at a body weight of 184.7lbs, 16.9% of which was body fat. In terms of organisation, this week has been the most challenging yet. I have been travelling through Peru and there have been numerous temptations to wander off the guidelines/ requirements of the program, however I am happy to say I have held my resolve and kept my focus on the incredible results which are possible on this transformation.

Week three is now complete.

Visually I have noticed increased all over my body but especially in the definition of my biceps, chest, quadriceps and abdominal muscles.

Week 3 for me has been very challenging as I have been travelling through Peru, this will continue into week 4 before I return to the UK to return to a vague sense of normality in the run up to the main program. The challenges this week have been tough to organise and work through but with all the prior planning and preparation I have carried out has made the transitions around Peru a lot smoother.

In total I have lost about two inches off my waist, hips and thighs, I did not pack my tape measure so this is only a visual estimation. Before leaving the United Kingdom I purchased a few new t-shirts that were slightly too tight around my mid-section, safe in the knowledge that by the time I came to wear them, the clothes would fit me…in fact I am wearing one of the now well fitted t-shirts whilst I am writing this blog. And I am constantly having to pull my jeans up!

Challenges
    As it was in week one, the cardio has again been brutal. Only this time, fitness levels are not an issue, rather the altitude! Altitude affects the body in some strange ways. To compensate I have reduced the intensity of my cardio workouts but increased the duration, I have found that when I find a rhythm in the pace of whatever activity I choose for my cardio training I am able to keep going for longer and longer periods of time without breaks to recover.

Due to the nature of my travels through Peru, I have broken up my workouts, that is I have been going for a morning run or walk followed by my weight training and second cardio training session.

Body and Fitness
    I believe this is the first week in which I have found ‘Ab Ripper X’ relatively easy, it is still a challenge to complete all of the movements but strangely it actually feels good to complete the rest day workout.

With me carrying out my training at altitude, my body will adapt to the new environment by producing more red blood cells to compensate the reduced partial pressure of oxygen. The drawbacks of this situation are that my workouts and cardio training has suffered over week 3. However the training sessions throughout week 4 and when from when I return to the United Kingdom, my bodies adaptations to altitude will be very beneficial in my upcoming gym sessions.

Diet and Nutrition
    The diet and nutrition element of my fitness transformation has by far been the toughest during week 3. As the saying goes “Prior planning and preparation prevents a piss poor performance”. I have been staying in a mixture of hostels, hotels and air bnb’s, so my food preparations have been a mixture of cooking my own meals and eating out at restaurants. There have been several realisations I have had this week, which I mention below.

Supplements
    For this 12 week fitness program I am using supplements from Sports Food Nutrition. As the weeks progress I will be explaining the exact supplement breakdown, timings and reviews of the hand-picked products.

Visually, I am seeing and feeling very noticeable changes week on week, this only serves to keep me motivated towards my goal for the summer. While it has been difficult to stay within the guidelines of the program, more so for week 3 whilst I am travelling through Peru and meeting new people, my motivation towards transforming my body has never been stronger.

Since the start of my body transformation there have been a number of effects which have crossed over into my day-to-day life. I have continued to sleep extremely well and I am finding it far easier to get up in the mornings, at a time early enough for me to pack a lot of activities into my days.

Bigger Takeaways
    During week 3 there have been some big realisations for me.

Realisation #1
    When accepting the challenge of this program I was very worried about my 2 week travel trip through Peru as I was unsure if I would be able to stay within the strict guidelines of the transformation program. However I have come to realise, travel is not an excuse to let things slip. Bad habits, poor choices and taking the easy way out is where most people get it wrong.

Realisation #2
    Eating at restaurants is no excuse. There are always healthier choices to make, most restaurants offer salads with a healthy protein.

Realisation #3
    You do not have to drink alcohol on nights out. This is a big one for me, since the start of the fitness program I have tended to avoid nights out with mates due to the irresistible temptation to drink. However, during my time in Peru I have often found myself on nights out with random people I have met and I have not even been questioned when ordering ‘aguas sin gas’ in a bar or restaurant. This is is huge, I do not think I have ever had a night out where I have not consumed an alcoholic drink.

Overall, week 3 has gone well. I started the week with a body weight of 184.7lbs with 16.9% body fat, and closed the week at 183.6lbs and 16.5% body fat. A total body fat loss of 0.4%. I have started to see some very visual changes and am very much looking forward to my results skyrocketing over the remaining weeks of the program.

And so week four begins.

Week 4

Introduction
    My week four fitness transformation started at a body weight of 183.6lbs, 16.5% of which was body fat. In terms of organisation, this week has been the most challenging yet. I have been travelling through Peru, took prt in a trek through the Peruvian Andes and there have been numerous temptations to wander off the guidelines/ requirements of the program, however I managed to stick to my diet plan and complete all my workouts, albeit some of them had to be improvised.

Week 4 is now in the past.

As per week 3, visually I have noticed increased definition all over my body but especially in the definition of my biceps, chest, quadriceps and abdominal muscles. I have started noticing myself in the mirror a lot more, specifically for example, when washing my hands in a restroom my biceps are a lot more pronounced than they have been previously., or when jumping on a bike in a gym and watching my quadriceps as I pedal, i’m seeing individual muscles flexing.

Week 3 was essentially an opportunity for me to acclimatise to the elevation I was at, whereas week 4 for me has been the most challenging in terms of logistics as I have been on a trek through the Peruvian Andes as well as travelling through some of Southern Peru before returning to the UK. All of this while maintaining my fitness training commitments for this program.

Before leaving the UK for this relatively short trip I was getting worried about being able to adhere to my commitments but in practice it was nowhere near as difficult as I was making it out to be. The most interesting and awkward part was completing some improvised workouts whilst on the trek through the mountains, the majority of the day was walking at high altitudes so that was the cardio training sorted but for the weight training I had to improvise. I favoured dry bags filled with water as they pack down to nothing yet are considerably heavy when filled. Other useful items included paracord, a karabiner and a borrowed walking pole, along with the aid of a high tree branch allowed me to make the most of a potentially bad situation. That and completing Ab Ripper X in my tent from a list of exercises written in my notebook (No matter how many times I do this workout I can never remember what comes next!).

Before beginning my fitness transformation I took measurements of my waist, hips and thighs, 35 inches, 39.5 inches and 26.5 inches respectively. Now that I am four weeks into the program I think I should take stock of how much of a change I am experiencing.

My current measurements are:
    Waist measurement: 32inches
    Hip measurement: 36 inches
    Thigh measurement 24 inches (Both thighs are the same)

Body and Fitness
    After spending two weeks living and training at altitude and finding each workout very, very tough. It will be very interesting to see how much my body has adapted to the new environment and how this will affect my workouts now that I am back in the UK throughout Week 5. I am expecting to see considerable gains in my cardiovascular fitness especially during my second block of cardio training each day.

Diet and Nutrition
    The average Peruvian diet is awful, they should broadcast the ‘Hungry For Change’ documentary in schools, colleges and cinemas all over the country. Thankfully it was not very difficult to find healthy food. The framework for my diet has been set and I’ve been following it in the UK for several weeks now, so it was not very difficult to use that framework wherever possible and make sensible choices/ choose suitable alternatives whenever it was not possible. The only real issue arose when eating out at restaurants as I had no way of measuring quantities other than by eye. Not ideal for the program but at the time it was the only method at my disposal. Eyeballing protein was by far the easiest as I had been practicing in the weeks leading up to my trip. Salad and vegetables had to accounted for by estimation alone. My results on the scales suggest everything has been going to plan.

Finding your rhythm when exercising, more so when doing a monotonous exercise like running or walking for example. once you find your rhythm it feels like you are just going with the flow and you stop thinking that you are exercising and just carry on regardless of how tired you may have been feeling. I have found this sensation to be quite a remarkable phenomenon.

Since the start of my body transformation there have been a number of effects which have crossed over into my day-to-day life. I have continued to sleep extremely well and I am finding it far easier to get up in the mornings, at a time early enough for me to pack a lot of activities into my days.

Overall, week 4 has been very productive. I started the week with a body weight of 183.6lbs with 16.5% body fat, and closed the week at 182.6lbs and 16.2% body fat. A total body fat loss of 0.3%. I have continued to see some very visual changes, not least in my physical measurements and am very much looking forward to my results skyrocketing over the remaining weeks of the program.

And into week 5 I go.

Week 5

Introduction
    For the previous week, I closed at a body weight of 183.6lbs, 16.6% of which was body fat. Now that I am back to normality in the United Kingdom I have very quickly returned to my normal routine. Whilst in Peru I favoured splitting my workouts into an early morning and afternoon/early evening workouts blocks. Whereas now that I am back I favour grouping all my workout blocks together and completing them mid-morning, circa 1000hrs.

Luckily, I had pre-prepared some meal portions before leaving for Peru and put them in the freezer whilst I was away, this gave a day or two to sort out my kit before it was necessary to go food shopping on my return and made sure I was not tempted to eat out of convenience. No easy ways out.

Week 5 down.

As I have mentioned over the past 2 weeks, I have noticed a stark difference in the definition of my chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps and abdominal muscles as the weeks have progressed. The majority of my remaining sub-cutaneous body fat is on my hips, ass and thighs, perhaps this is the price I’m paying for having worked in an office for 6 years and spending the majority of my working days in a seated position. Although I am certain it is being reduced from the fit of my clothes and also the measurements I took before I started the fitness transformation to the measurements I took at the end of week 4.

Body and Fitness
    This week I was lucky to escape un-injured from a potentially serious injury. I somehow managed to drop a dumbbell on my chest! I was doing a dumbbell bench press and as I pressed up my left arm went out at a 45 degree angle and rather than try to force it up and maybe cause a strain I let it fall to the floor (under control - sort of). The only problem was that my attention had shifted away from my right hand and my body rolled slightly to the left, my right hand then collapsed onto my left pec. It is strange that a bruise has not developed but the muscle is quite sensitive to the touch. It hurt but I was still able to complete the rest of the chest workout without any problems.

Last week I mentioned I was very interested to see how much of a difference my cardio training would be after having spent 2 weeks living and training at altitude. Well, my cardio training has felt…easier. Obviously my bodies adaptations to altitude will only last for maybe 2 weeks before returning ‘normal’, but in that time I should be increasing my cardiovascular endurance so even though my red blood cells will be decreasing my body should become more efficient at O2 uptake in my working muscles.

This week I have recognised that I needed to spend a little extra time, separate from my main workouts each day, working on the mobility of my joints and flexibility of my muscles. This is because I have been getting a little cramp and feeling tightness in my legs, especially when doing Yoga X from P90X.

Diet and Nutrition
    As I mentioned in the introduction I pre-prepared three days worth of meals so I was able to sort out my kit without having to worry about going food shopping after a lengthy journey back from Peru. After having time to sort out my kit and go shopping for my ingredients, I have already adjusted back into my routine of preparing a weeks worth of meals in one cooking session.

I have owned a set of bathroom weighing scales which also tells me my body fat for several years, earlier in the year I used to have a feeling of dread each time I weighed myself to see what the read-out said. Whereas recently, since starting the structured program for my body transformation I now look forward each day to seeing change. If there is no change on a particular day, it does not worry me as I know I am focused and doing the right actions, sooner or later the read-out will start to drop, I just have to focus on leading a healthy lifestyle and completing my workouts each day.

Increased energy levels. This week there has been a very noticeable difference in my energy levels each day

Increased motivation. It seems that as each week of the fitness transformation progresses I become more and more motivated towards my goal of having a lean muscular body which is sub 10% body fat. Seeing the visual changes in my own body and also in the fit of my clothes as well as the measurements I take does nothing but reinforce that my goals are well within my reach.

Increased productivity, I have done more in the last week than in the previous 2 months before my fitness transformation started. Rather than making a list of things I will do tomorrow then relaxing with a cup of green tea, I have been thinking “fuck it, I will do it now” then after completing what would have been tomorrows list I relax with a cup of green tea.

I feel week 5 has gone very well. I started the week with a body weight of 183.6lbs with 16.6% body fat, and closed the week at 178.0lbs and 15.6% body fat. A total body fat loss of 1.0%. I have continued to see some very visual changes, not least in my physical measurements and am very much looking forward to my results skyrocketing over the remaining weeks of the program.

Moving into week 6.

Week 6

Introduction
    At the end of week 5, I closed at a body weight of 178.0lbs, 15.6% of which was body fat.

Now that I have finished week 6 I am now exactly halfway through my fitness transformation and feeling pretty good about it. Over the weeks of the fitness transformation program so far I have seen a massive change in my body and over the remaining weeks I’m looking forward to revealing muscles I’ve not seen for a few years.

Each week I seem to notice more and more changes in my body. For this week in particular I have notice the muscles in my back becoming more and more sculpted and defined.

Body and Fitness
    Body fat measuring devices are notoriously inaccurate, even if carried out in a lab or bodpod (more accurate than ones purchased for home use but nonetheless still not 100% accurate). Consistency is the key here, using the same method to determine your body fat will give an indication of whether your body fat is in incline or decline. Therefore, even though a body fat measuring device will not give you an accurate reading, it will however give you a sense of where you are at.

There is however no problem with also using a second method for comparison or second opinion. The US Navy Formula was recommended to me, there is an online tool at: US Navy Calculator - Body Fat Calculator

You will need the following measurements:

• Current weight (me: 175.8lbs)
    • Height (me: 6ft 1)
    • Waist measurement at Naval: (me: 32inches)
    • Neck measurement at narrowest point (14inches)

With my data the calculator produced the following results:

• Body Fat: 14%
    • Fat Mass: 25lbs
    • Lean Mass: 151lbs
    • Body Fat Category: Fit

As you can see the US Navy method suggests my body fat percentage is a little lower than my scales at home are telling me. These results are useful as a second opinion and I would probably err on the side of caution and split the difference between the US Navy results and what my own body fat scales are telling me.

Last week I mentioned I dropped a dumbbell on my chest, I thought I had managed to get away unscathed as a bruise never developed. However, I have had a strange sensation in my left middle finger for most of the week, whenever I made a claw/ gripping movement with my arm outstretched in front of me I would get a sharp tugging sensation in the middle knuckle and down the back of the finger. It is a rather odd sensation but thankfully it seems to be gradually alleviating itself and I am experiencing the sensation less and less as the week has progressed.

My workouts have not suffered because of the sensation, but day 1 of week 8 is shoulders and calves, I may experience a slight problem when performing the ‘front dumbbell raise’. I will just take it slightly easier initially to make sure I am not going to injure myself with a heavier weight.

My cardio training still seems to be benefiting from my time spent at altitude in Peru and for the second block of cardio training each day I seem to be able to push my training more consistently.

This week I have continued with my extra flexibility and mobility exercises each day, which are completely separate from the fitness transformation program and completely of my own choice to complete them. Flexibility is a part of the fitness transformation program just as it is a component of fitness. After spending just over a week of completing these movements my hamstrings and calves are not feeling as tight and also the tendons in the base of my feet feel more supple going into my scheduled workouts.

Diet and Nutrition
    I am fully back into my normal routine of preparing my meals and the monotonous exercise of eating the same meals day in day out. The surprising element to me though is that I am no longer craving anything else…at all! At the start of the program I used to hate it when I logged in to Facebook, as whenever I did there would just be post after post in my news feed of all kinds of recipe videos for all manner of tasty treats and I used to find myself craving and salivating over them, wishing I could go off program just to have a taste. But now, I log in to Facebook, the posts are still flooding in to my news feed but they seemingly no longer have any effect on me.

I have owned a set of bathroom weighing scales which also tells me my body fat for several years, earlier in the year I used to have a feeling of dread each time I weighed myself to see what the read-out said. Whereas recently, since starting the structured program for my body transformation I now look forward each day to seeing change. If there is no change on a particular day, it does not worry me as I know I am focused and doing the right actions, sooner or later the read-out will start to drop, I just have to focus on leading a healthy lifestyle and completing my workouts each day.

This week my energy levels have remained as high as last week, which was very useful as this week has been insanely busy for me. Not only because of the fitness transformation commitments, but also personal things which needed to be sorted out and we were also given some extra assignments to do to help us prepare for when we reach Vegas next month.

My motivation has been unwaveringly strong this week also. In the first 2-3 weeks of the program when I looked at my photos I did not really see any striking differences, I knew changes were happening as my clothes became ridiculously looser and the readout on my body fat scales was telling my my body was changing but comparing the photos, there did not seem to be a discernible difference. But comparing day 0 photos to the photos taken at the close of week 6, there is a night and day difference.

I feel week 6 has been a particularly challenging week as the workouts have been longer than in previous weeks. I started the week with a body weight of 178.0lbs with 15.6% body fat, and closed the week at 175.8lbs and 15.1% body fat. A total body fat loss of 0.5%. I am looking forward to finally seeing my six pack develop again over the next few weeks…its been a while.

Week 7…I’m looking forward to it but at the same time I’m dreading it…I’ve seen whats coming!

Intro

Start of the 12 week transformation. Going into the transformation I feel I have a solid understand of nutrition and what it takes. I’ve always been an athlete all my life. 3 season athlete in high school and played college lacrosse in undergrad as well as graduate school. After grad school I took up martial arts and trained 2 years in kickboxing and jujitsu. So I was either always lifting weights or playing a sport or at times doing both.
    Up until the past couple years I’ve been pretty skinny. In high school I didn’t have much muscle mass and struggled to put on weight. I even remember at the bar one time in grad school over hearing a group of girls I was talking to say “He is too skinny”. Once I graduated grad school I decided to put on some muscle so I found Mehdi’s stronglifts 5x5 program and stuck to it. For me it was a great and easy way to build strength. That program had me lifting heavy weights with low reps. I was squatting every workout. The nice thing was that the program was simple and easy to follow. I was lifting for strength and gains in size followed. That workout consisted of only 5 main core compound movements repeated each workout. There were no isolation exercises. Squat, bench, bent over rows, standing barbell shoulder press, deadlift. Those were the workouts repeated 3 days per week. I definitely built strength and muscle for the year I did the program.
    I was about 185 lbs when I stopped lifting because I started doing martial arts. It was too time consuming as well as too much on my body to lift and train 5x per week at martial arts. Martial arts was a skill that I wanted to learn and training in it was a blast for the 2 years I did it. The problem was that I was losing a ton of weight due to all the cardio and high intensity training it requires plus I wasn’t lifting anymore. So I dropped to a low of about 170 lbs at 6’1”. I was again skinny. I injured myself pretty badly in martial arts and had to take time off so I got back into lifting to put back on the muscle I’d lost. In a few short months I was back to 185 lbs. I was only working out a couple times per week at about an hour time and wasn’t doing any cardio.
    This is where I started the transformation. I was about 185 hitting the gym 2x per week, lifting heavy and doing no cardio. I was in pretty good shape but certainly didn’t turn any heads.
    My understanding of nutrition is vast because of my career. I’ve always eaten pretty clean. I already avoid refined sugar, cookies, candies etc. I never drink soda and I avoid milk and dairy for the most part. I also try to stay away from breads as I know my body doesn’t process wheat and flour well. I eat a lot of rice and chicken. I would estimate that I do the 80/20 rule in that I would stick to clean foods about 80% of the time and of weekends that 20% non-healthy would come out in the form of a late night pizza or a burger with the guys or a cookout or a restaurant.
    I also would say that I drink about 1-4 times per week and usually one binge drinking session on a weekend with casual drinks scattered in throughout the week.
    I know the biggest change for me will be completely eating clean 100% of the time and no alcohol – no excuses.
    I’m looking forward to this transformation to see how hard I can push my body in a short time and make positive changes.

Week 4

Week 4

Week 4 is in the books. If last week was summed up in the challenge of a plateau this week is best summed up in gains. I felt I really made some progress this week in terms of weight gain and putting muscle on. I’ve noticed a couple things when it comes to my gains. The most important being sleep. My body requires 8 hours of sleep through this transformation. My schedule is bed at 11 and up at 7. There are days where I will get less than that mainly due to not getting to bed at 11. On days where I don’t get a full 8 hours of sleep I can really notice my body struggle. If I get the full 8 hours, the next day I can feel my body prepped and ready for the workout. It’s like my body is staying “I’ve got everything I need to grow, let’s go tear some muscle so I can build it back up. It’s a great feeling when you just know that you are going to destroy your muscles and your body will repair it better and stronger.

My hip issue flared up a couple days this week. It was minor in comparison to what it has been and was a different type of pain. More of a sharp twinge. Where before it was a sharp stabbing type of pain. As soon as it happened I knew it was because I had missed a couple days of stretching on my own. Its interesting how it was feeling better and just a couple missed stretching sessions before bed and it let me know. I ran/walked yesterday for my cardio. I was back at my parent’s farm where I grew up so I decided to go for a run through the county. Running is still a challenge. My joints ache when I run. I can tell they are not use to toting around a 195 (soon to be 200) lb. body. Like I said in the last week’s submission. You don’t see too many 200lb distance runners or 200lb runners at all for that matter. It takes a toll on the joints.

This week we had an assignment of watching the documentary called “Hungry for Change”. I’m not sure who’s idea it was to make this a required movie to watch but absolutely love the fact that this is part of the required assignment. In short the film talks about how our food is poisoned and loaded with crap. It talks about how we (society) have been lied to and manipulated to believing that the items we are putting into our bodies are “normal” and good for us.

I have not seen this specific documentary, but I thought it did a pretty good job of presenting the material in a manner where it would motivate people to make a change. This movie was right in my wheel house and I have seen and heard everything they talked about 10x over. It blows my mind that more people don’t understand this or do things about it.

This topic of health and more specifically how the marketers, big pharma, big food corporations (Monsanto), and even our own government, lie and manipulate is something that I hold close and am passionate about. I see too many good people in my office day in and day out that are lied to by the system. Good people who are lied to believing if they do what the doctors tell them or if they buy ‘fat-free’ they are being healthy. It is such a despicable lie that these evil corporations are doing to the public. In the meantime, our race is getting sicker and sicker with each passion generation. In fact, it is so bad that our generation is the first generation to have a shorter life expectancy they their parents. We are de-evolving. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer are just a few of the culprits.

They say there is no “cure” for cancer. Well of course there is no cure for cancer. It’s a billion-dollar industry. In fact, they are poisoning our food, dumping toxic fluoride into our water, and blasting us with poisons labeled as medicine. They want us to be a society of sick and weak people for a couple reasons. One is that if society is too weak and sick then the people easier to control. The second reason is that by making us sick we are then required to seek ‘treatment’ when these chronic lifestyle choice illnesses challenge our survival. We become desperate for a cure and will do and pay whatever. We then spend hundreds of thousands of dollars sometimes millions on chemo, heart surgeries, and radiation, and cholesterol medication (which is a hoax). These modalities do nothing to fix the problem of poor lifestyle choices and poor living habits but will buy another couple years until the problem creeps up again or something else even more severe comes into play.

I got a little side tracked but when Andrew talked about seeing through the matrix in the Whatsapp chat, I believe this is a big part of it. I’m very excited and happy Project Rockstar is helping the guys to see what is really going on in terms of our food supply because its so much bigger than just food. Its our health. Food is health and health is food. They are one in the same. You are what you put into your body.

This whole theme goes into our medical system that we have set up in America. More of the same, terrible lies to turn big corporate profits at the expense of people’s lives. I won’t get into it because it would turn into a 25-page paper but I do hope PR teaches the guys about the medical system and its shortcomings just as they are teaching about food and healthy, lifelong habits moving forward.

In summary, this week was a great week as far as workouts and gains. I realized I need a full 8 hours on this intense workout program to let my body recover and build muscle.

12345 ... LastLast