Project Rockstar 2014 - Pre-Training Fitness Program Weekly Journals

Sterling is offline Certified Love Systems Instructor

Project Rockstar Head Instructor

Project Rockstar 2014 - Pre-Training Fitness Program Weekly Journals

Project Rockstar has grown into something really special over the years.

In 2012, we introduced the mandatory comprehensive 12 week fitness program for everyone accepted onto the program. Starting in 2013 we had the guys journal about their experiences during their fitness transformation. We posted each of the journals as the weeks went on and the thread was met with overwhelming interest. The same goes for 2015 journals.

But what about 2014? Many people have asked about what happened to the fitness journals from that year.

In 2014, we ran an updated fitness program and were planning on posting to the journals directly on the Project Rockstar | A Complete Life Transformation website. But due to development complications, we scrapped the idea and so the journals were never actually released to the public.

In light of the upcoming PR2016 recruitment season, we've decided to take the time to post all the PR2014 fitness journals. Over the coming weeks, I will have the full journals posted for each of the 5 rockstars here.

Everyone interested in PR2016, applications commence on January 1, 2016. You can apply at Project Rockstar | A Complete Life Transformation.

Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator
    www.simplifiednatural.com

Love Systems 10-day Bootcamp
    Co-Creator and Lead Instructor

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

Simplified Natural reviews
    Simplified Natural Q&A (13000 views - #1 all-time most viewed Products thread!)

10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2016
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2015
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2014
    10-day Bootcamp - Sydney 2013
    10-day Bootcamp - Las Vegas 2012
    10-day Bootcamp - Sweden 2011

Thanks for the interest in all our review threads!!! We appreciate everyone's support in making Simplified Natural, Project Rockstar, and the 10-day Bootcamps the success stories they've become.

Robert M - Week 1

First things first, I am going to be a pretty cut man in 10 weeks’ time. I am so excited to do this program again, when I finished it the first time I was stoked at how much my body had changed but I was also immediately wondering at how much more amazing it could be if I did it again. Knowing that I have other people around the world pushing themselves in the exact same direction that I am is all the motivation I need.

The weights this week were tough but manageable – I haven’t done such a large amount of both warm up sets and reps in a long time. I am actually really happy that I have a base to work from. I have really pushed myself with weights this week and it shows – at least one part of my body is sore every day. Also walking upstairs after cardio on calf day is causing me some pretty significant hassle. I got a pretty big motivational boost when we got an email mid-week with the line ‘Realize that around the world there are 14 other extremely motivated and driven individuals who are working their ass off on the Pre-Training. If you slack, it will show on Day 1 when you're in a room next to them.’ I don’t want to be the smallest guy in the room in a few months’ time haha.

I am currently breaking my cardio up into 4 sets of 10 minutes. Splitting it up into 4 ten minute blocks means I can work different muscle groups in my cardio (no one wants to run on leg day) and allows me to basically be constantly exhausted throughout my workout. I like doing that because I can change it up and I don’t get bored. But I also do it to maximise the amount of time I can spend atthe gym in the cardio mindset.

I am addicted to the mindset that I get into during cardio. The mindset I can get into at the gym usually starts about two or three sets of weights in and then continues to build until it clicks in during cardio and boom I am focused and coherent and ready to push myself as hard as I possibly can. That feeling and that mindset is better than anything else for me. It also filters down into my weights, it’s not as hard as it usually is to go to failure when you are already in the mindset that wants to push it to failure.

The diet and no alcohol hasn’t been too tough for me because I already barely drank and my diet is pretty solid. My energy levels are good and my diet is definitely to thank for that. Watching other people eat food now is pretty disconcerting, you never really consider how much terrible food there is in the world until you start eating clean yourself. The whole way that you view the normal Western diet changes.

The biggest change from what I was doing until now is the fact that I dont do cheat days anymore. But its been doable because of the goal that I have in mind and because when you are putting this much effort into cardio you really don’t want to ruin it for anything. I want to come out of this program with full blown fuck you abs. And I can already see the results of this much cardio and the AB Ripper X. I can’t wait to look back at my photos in two weeks’ time and then 10 weeks’ time and see how much progress I have made.

MoveI am pumped for this next week and I am pumped for the rest of the program.
    Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

Thanks for the interest in all our review threads!!! We appreciate everyone's support in making Simplified Natural, Project Rockstar, and the 10-day Bootcamps the success stories they've become.

Jimmy D - Week 1

Thus Project Rockstar begins. Week 1, over. 10 more to go. It’s been an incredible ride preparing for this program and I’m stoked to be a part of it. Thank you Venture, Sterling and Vici for putting this all this together.

Started out the first day great. What I usually do is go to the gym at night. I work about 12 hours a day and I can’t for the life of me get up before work to go to the gym. I am just not a morning person. So when I go to the gym after work, the place is deserted and I have the place to myself. First day I dove right into the workout without missing a beat. 20 minutes of cardio, legs, followed by another 20 minutes of cardio. I crave to feel the jolt when your body is changing. It’s a small piece of evidence that you have control over your body if you so choose. It also helps that the gym I go to is 24 hours so there really is never a bad time to go workout. Given my crazy work schedule it is the perfect fit for me.

The second day sucked. Not the workout. Working out my triceps made them feel like someone was blowing air into them. It must have been the ‘pump’ feeling bodybuilders refer to and its pretty addicting. What sucked was I had a pounding headache the entire day. I suspect it was the not so smooth transition of eating a ton of carbs to virtually zero carbs. I had to take 3 advil before the pain went away. Then came the soreness. Holy crap I looked like a retard walking around that day. I had to adjust my gait so much my legs might as well been throwing out gang signs. Kris Gethin talks about delayed soreness where if you workout a muscle group hard you do not feel the full extent of soreness until 2 days after that workout. I really think thats what I have since thats the pattern I’m noticing.

The workouts got easier in regards to soreness as week 1 progressed. I am so happy I am on the track to getting shredded in time for the summer. I am looking forward to the advanced stages of this transformation where the fat begins to melt away.

Sticking to a austere diet is both easy and hard. Since I work in foodservice, I can cook fresh meals at the drop of a hat. Weighing, seasoning, grilling, and roasting all my food is second nature to me since thats part of my job anyway. What really, incredibly, indubitably sucks is that I serve pizza, pasta, subs and all sorts of other delicious shit all day every day. This first week sucked (the first week is always the hardest for me). I had to explain to every one of my colleagues that I’m on a 12 week transformation challenge while pushing their pizza infested hands away from my face.

One of the things that keeps me going every moment of every day is the light at the end of the tunnel. There are 14 other dudes worldwide busting their asses to get in shape. What kind of person would I be if I let them down by not doing them right during the fitness portion of PR. Its a rite of passage, an initiation.

With week 1 over, theres 10 more to go. That sounds crazy. In just 10 weeks, I will be in Vegas kicking it with some of the most bad ass guys on the planet. Week 2, bring it.
    Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

Keith D - Week 1

They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step; and so it has begun. I am looking forward to this journey of self-improvement. I have put off making these kind of life changes for too long. I was constantly putting off until tomorrow all of the things that I knew I should be doing today. No more. I regret not getting serious about nutrition earlier. It was always, “It's just this one time” or “It's not that unhealthy.” Or my favorite, “Tomorrow... tomorrow I will start cooking all of my own meals and eating healthy.” Even though the majority of the time I ate “healthy” items, I had no overall nutrition plan and had no idea how many calories I was actually consuming everyday.

I had a lot of excuses, but when it comes right down to it, they were all bullshit. However, yesterday is history and can't be changed. Now it is time to get to work in the present to accomplish those future goals. And here we are with week 1 of the 12 week program down. The program is solid. I used to do forty to sixty minutes of cardio (read running) every day a few years ago. During that time period I rarely lifted weights though. When I did lift, I didn't have a progressive program (or any kind of program for that matter). It was pretty much walking into the gym and saying, “I feel like doing chest today.” As to be expected, I was great at cardio, but never achieved much gain in the muscle building department. And then I swung the other way. I followed the advice of guys who were bigger who told me I would never build muscle unless I cut back on cardio and started consuming more calories than I was burning. This was true to a point. I definitely put on some weight and some of it was muscle. I could also lift more. Then, as I was promoted in my field and spent more time behind a desk working longer hours, I started going to the gym less and less.

The program is a great kickstart. The benefits of having a structured, progressive program are numerous. I would say the biggest one is that you have direction so that your motivation is harnessed. It is a lot easier to stay motivated when you know that each workout is a brick in the road. No one wants to kill themselves and see little to no results. Most people want the quick and cheap path to the body they want; hence all of the fad diets and workouts. At the end of the day though, it takes work but that work is a lot easier when you know the results will come... as long as you stick to the program. I have experienced this in the past and am truly looking forward to more of it.

Also tracking progress and being accountable to a group is extremely helpful. It definitely makes it easier to adopt the no excuses attitude that is required. Tired? “Seriously bro, you skipped a workout because you were tired... you better cowboy the f*ck up.” Sore? “Good, stretch it out, shake it off, and get to work.” Have a lot to do at work? “Looks like you are coming back after the gym.” I definitely am getting back to the point where I don't even try and talk myself out of working out and just go and knock it out. I am actually getting back to the point where I look forward to the gym because I feel better about myself afterwards. There is that little sense of accomplishment combined with a flow of endorphins. And oh yeah, another day down in the march toward the body I want and can be proud of.

There have been a couple of challenges in this first week. The biggest has been avoiding alcohol. I am leaving Germany and moving back to the states in a couple weeks and a couple guys threw me a small going away party because they were going to be out of town from now until I leave. We all drink and under any other circumstances I would have had at least a few drinks. Luckily I thought ahead and drove there instead of taking the train (like I normally would have) so that I had an irrefutable reason for why I couldn't drink, although they still tried to get me to have “just one.” I also had a formal dinner on Saturday, which normally includes the consumption of more than a few drinks. There I told everyone I had to get up early because I was going to the Nurburgring (race track) in the morning to drive and I didn't want to be hungover at all. This worked pretty well because everyone I spoke with immediately started asking questions about that instead of why I wasn't drinking and trying to pressure me.

I will wrap up by saying that I am extremely excited about the program and the opportunity it presents. This is going to be an epic summer and I feel extremely fortunate to be a part of this year's group. I am looking forward to the challenges and overcoming them. Until next time...
    Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

James M - Week 1

That feeling you get…

When on a Sunday morning your sub conscious says to your awakening conscious mind… ‘Hey man, don’t get up, it’s Sunday and we both know what that means. No point opening those eyelids unless you’re ready for the torturous spell of pain and agony from a night out that may have got slightly out of hand. Maybe there’s a lucky girl lying next to you, maybe there isn’t… either way you’re going to be feeling far from healthy or happy’… Then a sense of confusion embraces the conversation, something doesn’t feel right, something is different… so you force yourself to rise from the dead, and low and behold, it’s no later than 8am (rather than nearly midday) and you literally feel on top of the world (aside from the shattered muscles)! How could this be? And then slowly it sets in… oooohh yes, that’s right, I’m on the best damn program on this awesome planet of ours, and I’ve been on the fit and healthy for the last 6 days and haven’t touched a drink either! And I feel AWESOME for it! If this is what project rockstar is all about… then I guess I came to the right party!

The beginning of the better…

What an unbelievable whirlwind start to this program. It feels like one minute I wasn’t even sure I’d get in to it, and the next minute I’m up to my eyeballs in changes going on in my life. This week 1 has been a pretty intense start for me. Trying to get everything in order… from gathering all the scales, digital readers, loads of new kitchen equipment, supplements and a very unfamiliar looking grocery list… to getting up to speed with the training program, building a new diet plan, and tracking it all day by day. I’m slowly getting it all nailed down, and have to say I love the feeling of being super organised.

About me, and how fitness has fitted in…

In my teens, fitness was honestly the last thing on my mind. My days were spent getting up to all kinds of naughty shit, trying to be a rebel (punk, hip hop, rave scenes and so on) and was more concerned with my troublesome social life, rather than focusing on myself.
    Then in my early 20’s, I started travelling the globe with my girlfriend at the time. We were unstoppable together, and left our footprints all over the continents. But soon after we broke up, and I realised I was single again, I started getting into cardio with some buddies, running around the park after work etc… but nothing to write home about.

This continued in to my late twenties, when I finally realised it wasn’t enough, and finally got my first ever gym contract at age 27 (ridiculous, I know). Even then I only really did super circuits and light machine type stuff.

It wasn’t until after another heavy break up, just last year, that I started getting into free weights and really starting to push myself for the first time, in all aspects of fitness… and have since seen some really good results, in both my physique and conquering personal physical challenges like Tough Mudder and summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro (earlier this year)!

But I know I still have soooo much to learn, and so far to go … so the timing is perfect for me to start this program, and take my fitness to different level altogether! I can’t wait!

And I have to thank Venture, Sterling and Vici for all the awesome advice so far (including the ultimate ‘Tracker’… I cannot actually believe I have not had one of these all my life)… I can already feel the improvements coming!

Challenges…

For me, the ‘do it until failure’ concept in the training plan has been a real challenge, and I’m feeling it bigtime! My body is absolutely broken in every way… especially in the mornings when I can really feel it!
    I’m really looking forward to the Sports Food supplements arriving, and the boost they will surely give me… to help me keep up the intensity without burning out!

But I have to say… it’s a pretty damn awesome feeling to know that it’s obviously working, and the results are coming! As I said above, I’ve been slowly getting more and more into gym over the years, so I’m sure I will be able to increase the momentum to these new levels (no matter how tough it gets).

However, the thing I’m pretty sure I am going to struggle with is TIME… I live a pretty busy lifestyle with work and play, so getting my head round the diet and nutrition side of things could be a challenge for sure! Trying to find the time to manage all the grocery shopping, and then all the cooking is very different to what I’m used to, and not proving easy.
    But I’m looking forward to getting the hang of it, and integrating it with my daily routines!

Sacrifices…

This weekend I had to pretty much clear my calendar to allow myself the time to get up to speed with all this… finish off any shopping, groceries, meal plan, tracker, weekly submissions, whilst spending at least 3 hours a day training, and then still having to nearly burn the house down whilst trying to cook for next wee!

Saying no to going out with my friends was not easy, and led to a severe case of FOMO (fear of missing out) all weekend. I also had to cancel on a kiteboarding trip down the south coast of Britain yesterday, which would have been a first for me!
    Tougher still, I had a pretty decent second date with a nice Australian girl lined up for today, which I turned down as well. I guess I haven’t yet come to terms with the thought of sitting at a bar with her, ordering a water, while she sips on a cocktail. But I’ll get there. And she’ll be back!

But nothing awesome comes easy… and I couldn’t be more up for and dedicated to the changes that are no doubt on their way! Every night, before I shut my eyes, I spare a quick visual thought for the future Mac… living the dream in peak shape and ridiculous fitness!

Goals…

So many goals! But I’ll save that chapter, along with improvements to date, for next week’s blog!….. ☺
    Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011

Paul A - Week 1

Introduction and background

I am incredibly excited and grateful for the opportunity to be a part of Project Rockstar. I want to share my experience from the first week, which has been primarily focused on fitness, but let me first share a bit about my history with fitness. The summary is that I’ve always been somewhat imbalanced with fitness. When I was young I had nothing right and as I got older I would have either the workout part or the nutrition part working well, but never both at the same time.

I am an only child who was raised by a single mom and grandmother, both of whom were incredibly overprotective of me. While the other kids were out running around and riding their bikes, I was forced to stay inside. Even worse, to keep me happy inside, they let me eat whatever I wanted: whole large bags of potato chips, Oreos, boxes of Little Debbie snacks, pizza rolls, etc. Plus our eating habits as a family weren’t much better; we would eat fast food most nights and have ice cream for dessert. I would order a triple-scoop hot fudge sundae with extra hot fudge three or four times per week. This led to me being incredibly overweight: in 6th grade I weighed 180 pounds, which is 30 pounds more than I weigh now and I was a foot shorter!

I was regularly picked on by the other kids, which became extreme in junior high, when I decided things had to change. I stopped eating the crazy indulgent food I had been eating and rebelled against my parents to be able to go out and run around with other kids. Over the course of a little more than a summer, I lost about 40 pounds, which helped me fit in but did not get me healthy.

In college and through my 20s I started working out regularly. I got into much better shape, but my diet was out of balance, eating out a lot, drinking heavily and getting late night junk food on weekends. This started to catch up to me in the past few years as I had less time to work out in my 30s. This culminated in the last 2.5 years in particular, when I was fortunate enough to be traveling all over the world over 60% of my time, but between long hours, jet lag, business dinners and wanting to make time to explore or party in the places I was visiting, I stopped working out almost entirely. Last May I was 185 pounds and 25% body fat and feeling trapped because I couldn’t see a way to fit exercise into my lifestyle and saw myself gradually transforming back into my young, fat self.

Something had to change, so I started really doing research on the other part of the equation: nutrition. I learned that every calorie is not equal and in particular the negative impact of gluten and sugar on weight and health. I cut both out of my diet entirely, and without working out I lost 35 pounds and 11% body fat in just over ten months! I really felt back in control and excited that I could use exercise for fitness and muscle gain, rather than relying on it for weight management. Enter Project Rockstar: building a balanced sustainable approach to fitness is a key goal for me for me.

Impression of the program so far

So far, I am very pleased with the balance and very specific guidance for both fitness and nutrition. Being back at the gym, while tough, has felt really rewarding and I am glad this is such a focus of the program because it’s forced me to prioritize the gym. I am impressed with the rotation of the muscles and workouts, which is more varied than anything I’ve done and has allowed me to work out daily, despite being sore all week.

Also, cooking my own food in such bulk is new for me. Before my diet change, I used to eat out regularly or grill a lean burger and microwave some vegetables. After my diet change, I eat far less and meals usually consist of throwing some raw vegetables and precooked lean meat together and adding some nuts or fruit. I’ve really only been on the fully cooked clean diet for two days now, but I am liking it. I was worried I would gain fat like crazy since I’m not really naturally this thin and cutting gluten and sugar reduced my appetite such that I was eating 800-1200 calories daily. So far with the workouts it seems my body is using 3,000 calories, but that’s something to monitor.

Challenges

The time commitment for the program worries me. I will absolutely do it for the next 12 weeks, but the reason I can do it is that I am taking time away from my job to focus on Project Rockstar. This first week was my next-to-last week of work and thankfully I am ramping down because I don’t know how I would balance the workout and cooking commitment with the normal pace of my job.

In order to fit the workouts into my schedule, I’ve had to make trade-offs. I canceled multiple dates during the week and skipped meetings at work. Most notably, on Friday, I spent the whole day shopping and cooking and was going to head to the gym in the evening. I was so consumed by the program,I completely forgot I had dinner plans with two of my friends who were taking me out for a belated birthday gift! I got a text from them at the restaurant as I was leaving for the gym after I had eaten dinner! I changed my clothes and rushed to meet them. Thankfully the meal was steak which was in the diet and also I’m likely in the gainer group so this didn’t take me over my calorie requirements. I wound up going to the gym afterwards at midnight on a Friday night (thank you 24 Hour Fitness) and didn’t get to bed until 3am. I was proud of myself for making that choice; the last thing I felt like doing after a steak dinner was working out but I’ve made a firm commitment to this program.

Overall the week was hectic even though work was probably ~40-50% as busy as usual. Which brings me back to my goal: take what we learn from this program and make it truly sustainable in our lives without having to make significant sacrifices in work, personal life or sleep. I will keep this in mind as I am going through the transformation over the next twelve weeks.
    Project Rockstar
    Head Instructor
    www.projectrockstar.com

Simplified Natural
    Co-Creator

Reviews
    Project Rockstar 2016
    Project Rockstar 2015
    Project Rockstar 2014
    Project Rockstar 2013
    Project Rockstar 2012
    Project Rockstar 2011