150 Approaches. Statistics of approaches and close %

1234511 ... LastLast

150 Approaches. Statistics of approaches and close %

How Many Approaches does it take to become a Pick Up Artist?

Hey everyone.

I have always been curious how long it takes to be successful at pickup.

And I know it's going to be different for everyone, but I just wanted to know, ballpark, how many approaches do you have to do to get to the point where your game is solid enough to get, say, a 30% number close rate? How many till you can achieve a 10% F close rate (for every 10 girls you approach, on average, you end up having sex with one)?

So I decided to do a social experiment. Over the rest of the semester, I'm going to approach 150 sets (daygame, i don't turn 21 'till April). I'm going to record every set on here, and at each 50 set benchmark, I'll add up how many #s I got, day 2s, kiss closes, and F closes. Then I'll calculate percentages for each (this'll be easy since it's out of 50 approaches).

Then, when i get to 150 sets approached, I can see if/how much progress I've made.

I realize it's inevitably going to take more than 150 sets to become great, even good at pickup, but I'm going to start with 150 approaches because I think it's a manageable goal to hit. When I finish, if i feel up to it, I'll continue approaching sets and recording my progress to see how far I get.

I really am pretty much starting from scratch. I've had two girlfriends in my life, one was a bad relationship for three years in which I should have broken up with her, but was always scared I wouldn't find someone else. Then she cheated on me. The other was a week long, lol (also have only kissed three girls total).

I've been reading on this stuff for a while, but before today I've only made about 40 approaches (most of which were me giving my opinion opener, getting the answer, me feeling awkward, then ejecting), and gotten only one number.

I recently read Daytime Dating by Soul, so I am going direct from now on (which is waaaay better than indirect in daygame IMO, just from today's approaches). That book and this forum motivated me to try this experiment (especially mytza's journal, thanks a ton for writing that!).

I'm always trying to improve my game, so any comments are appreciated, positive or negative. Positive comments are great for motivation and support, and criticism will help me refine and improve my game.

Here goes nothin!

Day1

Approaches: 8
    -Moving Sets: 3
    -Stationary Sets:5
    -2+ Sets: 0 (all were 1 sets)

Number Closes: 2

1. HB6 - Walking in Mall.
    Got her to stop walking, but she gave me a weird look. Said she's 24. Gave me weird look when i said I'm 20. Ended up saying she had to go.

2. HB6 - Sitting in food court.
    Opened, my voice sounded weak tho. Naturally she gave an unexcited response and it got awkward quick. Ejected.

3. HB8 - Standing in clothing store.
    Saw her in the mall and she was walking fast as shit, ended up following her all the way into a clothes store before I opened. On the stalker scale I felt like a 9 out of 10 lol. Anyway opened her, introduced myself, asked what she's doing. she said just shopping. Then I completely blanked on what to say next and just stood there for a couple seconds alkardly before she said she had to go. Note to self think of a good response for "shopping"

4. HB7 - Standing in Grocery Store.
    Really friendly vibe and smiled when I opened. Joked about her long name and having a party that served a vegetable tray. Then she said she would give me her number but she's taken (she seemed sincere about this so that gave me some confidence)

5. HB7 - Number Close! - Standing in Clothes Store.
    First Number Close! Whoooooo! Anyway, she smiled right away and I teased her on her tattoo. Then talked about college, jobs, ect. Never really qualified at all so she might flake but was still absolutely jacked about getting the number.

6. HB9 - Number Close - Sitting in Coffee Shop.
    Had her headphones in and didn't take them out when I opened, just turned off her ipod. Teased her on the textbook she was reading (something about feelings in the title) and finally got her to smile and take out the earbuds. Teased her on her jobs and major, talked for a while, and went for the number. She asked for mine and then she called my phone to give me hers.

7. HB7 - Walking in mall.
    Was walking super fast. Got her to stop, said she has to go. I said oh come on your not even gonna give me a chance to flirt with you? Said she had a boyfriend and walked away.

8. HB8 - Walking in mall.
    Opened but she never actually completely faced me. Teased her like once. Said she had to go.

Thoughts on today:
    Super excited to get 2 numbers already. My AA went away completely after one good reaction from a girl (4th approach) and I felt like the man for the rest of my approaches wether i succeeded or not.

Defiantly need to work on moving sets, didn't stop one long enough for even the beginning of a conversation. Also still to nervous to approach 2 sets but still I'm just excited I worked up enough balls to approach and get this experiment goin!

Stats Up to This Point

Approaches: 8
    -Moving Sets: 3
    -Stationary Sets:5
    -2+ Sets: 0

Day 2s: 0

Kiss Closes: 0

F Closes: 0

3. Good stuff. It'd be cool of you to also tell whether your number closes lead to anything once you call

Nice. I like the idea. Keep doing your reports, I'd like to see more of that.

Mcgoo, this is a good idea. However don't get all tied up on the numbers and statistics. I can tell you from experience that sometimes you will go through two weeks of getting shit and then your third week you start off with number closing a model. I think you should keep a journal of the things that you have improved on and need to improve on instead of saying well after 150 approaches I should've closed x% of girls and didn't then get all demoralized about it.
    You will see the vast improvement if you do this. For example, when I first started I use to have a lot of body language issues and my attraction game sucked. Now I think I do way too much attraction. But I see the progress of ok before I sucked at attraction now I am getting it all the time and maybe I have to work on my qualification game. Do not get caught up in statistics they are meaningless unless you have a huge sample size and 150 is nothing. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the support guys!

And good point pcl81, these stats aren't always going to be consistent, there will be ups and downs. If I can get a big enough sample size tho I think it would be cool to see the improvement. (for example if I approached 1000 sets, even with ups and downs, if you compared my first 100 sets to my last 100 sets, I'm confident I would see improvement). I just started at 150 because it's a lot more manageable of a goal to hit.

Also it helps my AA a lot to do it this way because I just see myself as going out to collect data. So when I see a girl and start to get nervous, I just remind myself this approach is just a data point I am trying to collect (I know, sounds dehumanizing, but it helps me a TON with AA). And I don't set any stat goals (such as "get 10 numbers out of the first 50 approaches"), I just see myself as a guy doing an experiment, which really helps me emotionally detach from the situation and deal with rejection.

And I love the point of working on one point of your game at a time. I might start dedication approaches to a single topic (such as, 25 approaches where I focus on body language), but for now, I just want to get some approaches under my belt and develop an approach habit where I follow the three second rule.

Anyways, appreciate the comments guys! Here's day 2...

Day2

Approaches: 6
    -Moving Sets: 4
    -Stationary Sets: 2

1. HB6 - Walking in Mall.
    Scared her pretty bad, like she jumped back. Said sorry for scaring you. 1 minute convo, said she was married.

2. HB7 – Number Close – Standing in Shopko.
    Teased her on weird name and fact she knew taekwondo. Said I was shopping for a present for my mom, she said I should get her underwear. I laughed. She was serious. Is that normal for girls? Idk, but got her number (tho she hesitated when I asked for it, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a flake.)

3. HB6 – Crafts Store.
    Gave me weird look, super unfriendly, short answers to everything. Eject.

4. HB6 – Walking in Mall.
    Huuuge smile after opener, said I made her day. Had a good 7 minute convo, said she had a boyfriend. Seemed legit, and she was too nice so I didn’t even go for the boyfriend destroyer. Probably my favorite approach of the day even though I didn’t get the number. I guess it really does feel good to make other people happy…

5. HB7 - Number Close! – Walking in Mall.
    Actually did some game this approach (usually I just open and kind of hang on for dear life lol). I opened and teased her on being humble. Then I DHVed by talking about going into music recording and playing the piano. She said she was going to Stanford for film, so I qualified her by saying it’s so rare to see people actually going for what they want out of life. Number close. Man, it’d be awesome if conversation always seemed to flow naturally into game topics.

Thoughts on today:

Took me about 2 hours for the first two sets just because all the cuties were in 2 sets or groups. I’m going to need to suck it up and start approaching these. Other than that, though, my AA was pretty minimal. Still there, but more like a dull ache instead of a sharp pain. Hopefully continues to be like that.

Stats Up to This Point

Approaches: 14
    -Moving Sets: 7
    -Stationary Sets: 7

Number Closes: 4

Follow up on Day 1 Numbers:

HB7
    Me: Saw a girl at a party with a butterfly tat in the exact same place as u. Except it was green and didn't look as badass as yours (I teased her on it during the approach)
    Her: No response

HB9
    Me: Was looking through my contacts today and saw "(her name) who builds bridges". Made me laugh (she's going to be an architect)
    Her: Haha! Not yet but soon... And I'm thinking more towards apartment complexes, not bridges
    Me: Ha. Soon. In 8 years (she said it's an 8 year degree). Lemme know if you build a retirement home right out outta college I'll be looking for one by then
    Her: Haha ohh I didn't know you were a comedian! But yes you will be the first to know lol
    Me: Awesome. Btw good luck breaking up with starbucks (she said she's quitting soon). Just say its not u, its me. Goin into work, ttyl
    Her: Hahaha alrite will do. Have a good night

Was really surprised by this 'cause the first girl was giving me tons if IOIs while this girl barely gave me any, but she's the one that responded. Chicks, can never figure out their logic lol.

It was weird, but I actually got approach anxiety from texting lol. Like when my phone buzzed I would actually get a little nervous. Damn AA, can never really get away from it lol.

Think I might call the second chick tomorrow, what the hell might as well go for it.

Miami, Florida / Huntsville, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgoo View Post
    Follow up on Day 1 Numbers:

HB7
    Me: Saw a girl at a party with a butterfly tat in the exact same place as u. Except it was green and didn't look as badass as yours (I teased her on it during the approach)
    Her: No response

HB9
    Me: Was looking through my contacts today and saw "(her name) who builds bridges". Made me laugh (she's going to be an architect)
    Her: Haha! Not yet but soon... And I'm thinking more towards apartment complexes, not bridges
    Me: Ha. Soon. In 8 years (she said it's an 8 year degree). Lemme know if you build a retirement home right out outta college I'll be looking for one by then
    Her: Haha ohh I didn't know you were a comedian! But yes you will be the first to know lol
    Me: Awesome. Btw good luck breaking up with starbucks (she said she's quitting soon). Just say its not u, its me. Goin into work, ttyl
    Her: Hahaha alrite will do. Have a good night

Was really surprised by this 'cause the first girl was giving me tons if IOIs while this girl barely gave me any, but she's the one that responded. Chicks, can never figure out their logic lol.

It was weird, but I actually got approach anxiety from texting lol. Like when my phone buzzed I would actually get a little nervous. Damn AA, can never really get away from it lol.

Think I might call the second chick tomorrow, what the hell might as well go for it.
    Looks like you are making some progress. I'm looking forward to reading up more on your stuff man

Day3

Approaches: 5
    -Moving Sets: 1
    -Stationary Sets: 4

Number Closes: 1

1. HB7 - Standing in Clothes Store.
    Opened, asked what she was up too. She said she was buying jeans. I completely blanked, said that's cool, you can always use more jeans. Probably the single most generic thing I could of said lol. Then stood there awkwardly for a second and ejected. Oh well, first set of the day.

2. HB7 – Walking in Parking Lot.
    Ended up being 17. Damn chicks nowadays look older and older. Plus she was wearing sunglasses. Then lied and said I was 18 (just to make it not creepy) but obviously didn't go for the number.

3. HB6 – Clothes Store.
    Asked her what she was doing. Said shopping for her boyfriend. Had a short convo but didn't really go anywhere. Is it possible to use a bf destroyer that early? In hindsight should have tried it just for the experience, but felt weird to say it that early in the convo.

4. HB6 - Number Close – Electronics Store.
    This chick was soooo into me. Like probably gave me more IOIs than the rest of the girls I have approached combined. My cocky funny was absolutely on point for this approach, and the opener felt way more natural than usual for some reason. Plus, she was only an hb6 so maybe she was desperate. Idk but she's been texting me like crazy (like even initiated the first text), so I'm pretty sure I'll get a day 2 outta this one

5. HB7 – Standing in Electronics Store.
    HB7 is what she looked like from the back. Then she turned around and she was old. Damn I seem to be hitting every point on the age spectrum today ha

Thoughts on today:

Worked on music hard for like 4 hours that morning, and felt super anti social right afterward. Like when you just get out of an exam and you just feel like you're in a haze. Tried to pump myself up by watching a couple pua videos, didn't really work, but I was like what the hell, might as well approach anyway and get some experience out of it.

Plus it sundays suck cause the mall is always much emptier than usual. Like my legs are actually sore from walking around so much, and I only saw one chick over a 7, and she was with her bf. But can't complain, still got 5 approaches in.

Side note, this mannequin in Younkers got me for the second time. Like I took three or four good steps towards it before I realized it was a mannequin. lol.

Stats Up to This Point

Approaches: 19
    -Moving Sets: 8
    -Stationary Sets: 11

Number Closes: 5