Myths and Masters of the Game

12 LastLast
    Los Angeles, California

Myths and Masters of the Game

Title: Myths and Masters of the Game

Format: Ebook and Regular Published Book
    Pages: 175 (ebook), 182 (paperback)
    Price: $19.97 (ebook). $35.00 (published book)
    Location (ebook): www.MythsAndMasters.com
    Location (published book): http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...sters/15321704

Review

I don't usually write reviews - my life is pretty fun and I'm kind of busy and most of the time what people want me to review is some jerkoff recycling 2008-era Love Systems material without properly understanding it. No point in that for anyone.

So I wasn't expecting much when I heard about Myths and Masters of the Game. And then a few things got my attention:

1. It wasn't written by "some jerkoff". It was written by Adam Brown, a well-respected and well-known professional journalist and investigative reporter with 20 years' experience and credits in the New York Times, Bloomberg, Newsweek, etc.

2. It wasn't a "how-to" book (though it ended up containing a lot more how-to insights just by observing and following successful men and writing what they did). It was a story, kind of like The Game...but...

3. Unlike "The Game", Myths and Masters doesn't seem to have a self-promoting agenda or scores to settle. In fact, author Adam Brown doesn't put himself in the story at all. He's a reporter, an observer. It's not a positive portrayal of the community and it's not negative. Some people in the book have positive experiences, some have negative experiences, and for some it's mixed. The author lets them all talk, in their own words.

A pretty promising beginning, but our experience with the media has been a bit mixed. I never thought I'd see an article in print where the writer admits explicitly that his goal is to make Love Systems look bad (Las Vegas Weekly) or that she finds the concept of average guys with hot girls to be "horrifying" (Boston Globe), etc. Anyway /end rant. Time to talk about the damn book.

The Good

It's very well-written and the stories and the characters are fascinating. I learned tons about guys who I've worked with for years, and that's saying a lot. I don't think I'll ever look at Mr M or Jeremy Soul the same way again. Amazingly, Adam Brown writing in 2008 and 2009 nailed that Daniel Vercetti was a man destined for great things. He caught it before I did, and I'm supposed to be running things around here. I bet that he was one of the only people not blown away that Vercetti won #1 instructor of the year by a blowout margin last year -- before he even got promoted to Master Instructor.

The writer also knows his shit. He's not a PUA himself and doesn't pretend to be, but it's obvious that he took the time to learn what's going on and ask questions. Usually mainstream depictions of the community get a ton of stuff wrong, but this book doesn't. I can argue with a few things here and there (e.g., we disagree about indirect openers), but at least it's a legitimate argument from different points of view as opposed to ignorance.

The story is mostly fair. And since I'm biased, I'd say that means it's probably pretty fair. I thought one of the more anti-PUA guys got a very large amount of play, but there are two sides to every story and I respect that.

Most of all, Myths and Masters is a great read even if it had nothing to do with PUA stuff. Some of the stories are incidents are hilarious. I literally lol'ed and spat out my coffee reading about this guy trying to pick up a female German boxing champ by teasing her about World War 2. I have no idea how the writer got hidden camera pictures of PUAs at one of Lord Davenport's events at his estate in London, but all the pictures are throughout the book are a nice bonus.

The Bad

My biggest criticism is about context. Individual people's motivations and backgrounds are well-presented, but a reader totally new to the field of dating science and dating coaching might be scratching his or her head a lot. Stuff is well-explained, sure, but there were times when I was reading the book thinking to myself I know exactly why this or that happened. To be fair, this is coming close to criticizing the author for not writing a different book, since sometimes going deeper would probably take a chapter and a detour through the history of the PUA scene to explain and probably disrupt the story to all hell. But it is what it is.

I was pretty miffed at first that a book that apparently had so much about Love Systems wouldn't have interviewed me. I've moderated this since I read the whole thing. I get it now. It's a factual, objective book that lets the key people talk for themselves. It's not the kind of book where something happens and everyone else comments on it. Since most of the events in the book took place when I wasn't in the room, I get it. Doesn't mean I like it

Finally, since the story starts back in 2008 or 2009, I would have loved a longer section at the end about where people are now (especially the characters who are more important in the older days at the beginning of the book). I like the way the books ends though, so it might be a wash.

The Verdict

I can endorse this book. If I had to rate it, I'd say an 8/10 or 9/10. I'd want to read it again before deciding, but I suspect a re-read would put it closer to a 9, so that's what I'm going with. Especially for the price: $19.97.

Link to Myths and Masters of the Game website: www.MythsAndMasters.com

Note that I have an interest in the book doing well. I would never endorse something I don't believe in, but ethical disclosure is important and part of our values. As always, make your own decisions on the merits.

Love Systems President, Program Leader

1 - Read the Magic Bullets Handbook - it's the bible of the Love Systems community, answers 90% of the questions here, and saves you years of time re-inventing the wheel.
    2 - Follow me on The Real Savoy Blog, or my twitter account. And friend me on Facebook for exclusive dating advice I don't post anywhere else.

England, Milton Keynes (The city of circles)

A very nice review, thanks for sharing.

I may look into getting me a copy of this.
    When I am writing in red, it's as an Attraction Forums mod or admin. When I write in normal text, it's just me.

And remember, if all else fails in set just try this, works everytime.

wow, surprised to see such a great rating. I am definitely going to pick up a copy now.

Adelaide

Sounds like a interesting read...I might have to kindle this for the train this afternoon...
    [B]"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." [/B]
    — Ayn Rand

[B]"Life is the dancer and you are the dance"[/B]
    -Eckart Tolle

Thanks for the review, I searched for it when I read the LSI. Might pick this up this month, chilling in the sun

Myths and Masters is awesome (inspiring and entertaining, but mainly awesome).

There were some interesting stories coming out of the Project Rockstar program and I'm looking forward to reading this book a second time because even though it's more of a story, it's still chock full of valuable lessons. It's nothing like Magic Bullets, but it does have excerpts from some of the forum's best posts (for eg Mr M's Attraction post) that relate to the stories - most of which are all highly entertaining whether you're learning game or not.

It's cool to see how far this technology has come since the days of the game. With the guidance of the instructors, the rockstars develop into true alpha males and reading the book lets you see the entire journey.. and envy the rockstars for having such an opportunity. I give the book 9/10

Grimbo's Review of Myths and Masters of the Game

Hey all, Venture asked me to write a review of "Myths and Masters of the Game" So without further ado here we go.
    Myths and Masters of the Game, The even Greater Sequel to a Great Novel

By Grimbo

Many guys in the community have read “The Game” by Neil Strauss aka his moniker Style. This book was an overwhelming hit; in fact it was a New York Times best seller. The unofficial sequel to it, “Myths and Masters of the Game by Adam Brown eclipses the total success of “The Game” in terms of eliciting a reaction from its reader. The book takes 6 men, at the time total “AFC’s” as the book terms them, which is an acronym for “Average Frustrated Chumps”, the pickup communitie’s term for guys who do not know what they are doing, or are new to the game. These 6 men joined something new. It was called Project Rockstar. Project Rockstar was a revolutionary idea to take 6 men, and teach them to succeed in all aspects of life. The men stayed in a rickety (at the best of times) “mansion” in the heart of London. While initially disappointed in the housing, the men didn’t have time to ponder it, since they were thrown into the fray to talk to women almost immediately. After rejection after rejection, they no longer cared; they had been torn down to shells of men. Now the learning process could begin, a rockstar would rise forth from the ashes. This learning process would be spearheaded by Love Systems instructors: Jim Stark, Vercetti, Dr. Yen, and many others. The boys, turned to men, who in turn, turned to rockstars. This new life had its issues still though; one by one, some of the men dropped out, due to disillusionment, some to sickness; some just no longer had the money.
    This book had a great effect still than “The Game”. It is a story that shows the amazing, yet sometimes disturbing journey of these men. It shows how far men can come if they put their minds to it and push through their comfort levels. It shows that the “High School Meatheads” don’t have exclusive rights to the pretty women; it shows that the Average Joe has a chance. It shows that anybody can accomplish their goals. It shows there is hope.
    It also shows the debilitating effects that constant “sarging”, or picking up women can have. The men began to just want emotional connections, or a single girl they can talk to; not just a different girl every single night. “Myths and Masters of the Game” has taken the excitement level and learning curve from “The Game”, and given it a shot of ultra steroids and shot right into the world to show just everything that pickup can do, and will go very far in making pickup mainstream. So until next time everybody, sarge on!
    The Good
    - This book shows the good effects the community has, as well as relaying it in an exciting fashion.
    - You learn all about the characters in it, and it shows little snippets of learning; you can still learn!
    - Easy to read PDF Format
    - Well reputed author
    The Bad
    - I thought it was a bit short, and left some ends of the story unfinished
    - It was extremely graphic, some readers may not appreciate this

Book rating: 9/10

I just read this book cover-to-cover on a flight back from Chicago. I think I was a little less taken with it than the other reviews above.

Firstly, I was pleased to see it was a fair and accurate portrayal of the community and the valuable work it does for us guys. For a field that has received a lot of negative press over the years, I can see why this is important. However, as someone who already understands both sides of the coin, there was nothing revolutionary here: all I felt was "yep, that's accurate".

It was definitely refreshing reading an up-to-date account of the community - mentions of current techniques and major players of Love Systems in a 'proper' book certainly made me smile. However, as a work of prose, for those outside the community, I'm not sure how much there is here - I didn't really feel the sense of personal journey I think I was meant to. I certainly won't be rushing out to recommend it to my out-of-the-scene friends like I have with other books this community has pointed me toward.

In summary: I'm glad this book exists, and I hope lots of people read it because it's relevant and important. However, I'm unsure about its off-the-shelf appeal so don't know if it will spread its fair assessment as far as we might like it to.

Very interested to hear the thoughts of others as they come in.

Adelaide

I just finished reading it on my Kindle.

Most of what I thought was covered by ParkerP and Savoy. Apart from that, I personally found a very strong connection the reference to the evolution of pick-up from just running routines to 'man game' spelling out the need to be all you can be encompassing health, wealth and relationships....this was a HUGE factor for me as I have been finding myself wading through a very similar path which led me to the Attraction Forums in the first place...its more than just bedding 10's...its about finding yourself... practicing your own perfection, little by little, each day, the unlimited YOU.

This is what I got out of the book...or at least confirmed something I already knew, if you are on this site...read it.

In other words, if you are on this site...read it.
    [B]"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." [/B]
    — Ayn Rand

[B]"Life is the dancer and you are the dance"[/B]
    -Eckart Tolle

England, Milton Keynes (The city of circles)

Good book.

I finished reading my copy of the book today on my Kindle and thought I'd add a review of the book to this thread as well.

Savoy, Aladdin8, Grimbo and Mantrahs reviews have all been accurate in my opinon and I agree with what they've said about the book.

For those interested in getting this book..

The whole book is based around the events of the 2009 project rockstar from start to finish, the author (Adam Brown) himself was not a student or a participant of the project rockstar but wrote the book as an outsider to the project.
    As the book goes on you'll read about the tranformation of the 6 rockstars from different backgrounds and experences they all have to the PUAs they become.

The book has a much more factual feel of the writing, 'the game' was much more autobiographical and self promoting but as Savoy said in his review Adam Brown doesn't try to be a PUA himself and has no reason to exaggerate anything.

His writing style is very clear but there wasn't much flair to it which is why it came across as more factual then 'the game' did and you don't feel anything for any of the people in the book in the same way as you did in 'the game' I also found the book didn't grip me and get me hocked as easily as 'the game' did.
    When I first brought 'the game' back in 2005 I read it in under a week as I found I couldn't put the book down but I didn't get that with Myths and Masters.
    Thats not to say its bad or anything it is still a very good book to read and I put that down to the fact that there isn't as much in this book that will be 'new' or 'shocking' as most of the information on lines and routines can be found on places like these forums and in books like Magic bullets wheres when i first read 'the game' the whole PU community was an unknown to me.
    Another thing I didn't like was the lack of timeframe, you would be reading about events and nights night of the rockstars training but all of a sudden it would say months have past, I think more of a timeframe would have been nice.

One thing about the book I did find very good was the journey of current LS instructor Micha, he was one of the 6 rockstars and It was interesting to see his own transformation from the person he used to be to someone with a whole new focus in his life and good enough to become an instructor for LS.

It was also good to learn more about some of the other instructors like Soul and Vercetti and the advice they were giving the rockstars.

Overall I both rate and recommend this book to those interested in the PU community and also to anyone interested in learning more about project rockstars.
    8 - 8.5 / 10
    When I am writing in red, it's as an Attraction Forums mod or admin. When I write in normal text, it's just me.

And remember, if all else fails in set just try this, works everytime.