Gift Ideas for the Girlfriend

1. Gift Ideas for the Girlfriend

Hi All,
    Christmas is coming up I'm hoping the fine brains here on the forums can help spark some ideas for gifts for the girlfriend. I understand it's really tough to generalize for all girlfriends. However, maybe post a gift idea that worked wonders in the past or some idea you have for this year.
    I'm still trying to think of something for my girlfriend. I've thought of a lot of categories of gifts.
    For example,

-Practical gifts (an Ipod) vs. Sappy (remember that time you said you wanted a snowflake with your name on it).

-Stuff that lasts (a piece of jewelry) versus an event (a day for two at the spa)

-One expensive gift versus many cheaper ones

I'm just looking for some brainstorming - it might help us all with some good gift ideas. Thanks.

Silicon Valley

Honestly, the best thing to do would be to exchange Christmas lists. Have her list as many things as she can think of that she'd like, and you do the same. Then, you can get her a surprise from that list and add your own touch to it (gift wrapping + cute hand-written card is a must!)

General things that girls like:
    Anything from Victoria Secret (she'll wear it for you)
    Things that smell good (bath sets, candles, massage oil)
    Jewelry (just make sure you know what style she likes)
    Something you made (example: if you're a DJ, mix her a CD)
    Practical fun stuff she needs (think electronics... NO KITCHENWARE! ...unless she's really into that, lol)
    Games you can play together (think naughty board games, or video games if she's a total dork ) ..ok, for the record Wii might pass the dork test, so you can that without being labeled a nerd.

Essential things to remember:
    1.) Gift-wrap the present... presentation is key.
    2.) ALWAYS add a cute/funny card with a handwritten message. Even if she used/returned/ate your gift, she'll keep the card and smile and think of you when she reads it.
    3.) If you're getting something expensive, make sure it's refundable. You don't want to spend all that money and find that she doesn't like it or it doesn't fit her.
    4.) Girls will usually drop hints about stuff they want...you just gotta pay attention. If you see her drooling over something when you go to the mall, that might be a hint.
    5.) Gift cards suck.

As far as categories go, I'd go for:
    Practical over sappy (works better if you add the card)
    Stuff that lasts vs. an event... or if you get an event, at least get her SOMETHING physical (like a card + something small)
    One expensive gift vs. multiple cheaper ones (but add card!)

Hope that helps,

Rogue

Very nice and informative Rogue. People always say girls like sentimental objects but many girls also obviously would like a gift they can wear/use. A concrete gift + a funny/cute card combines both elements rather nicely.

Anyway for my girl I'm getting her a ~100 dollar necklace/earrings from Tiffany's (her favorite jewelery store). Is this too much or too little? (we're both in college).

women love jewlery that is the one thing i've learned. Honestly i've bought sporting tickets, concert tickets all stuff that girls like but in the end you want to get them something that will be worn at all times. Think about it will the memory of a necklace vs one concert be in her mind. She will always be wearing the necklace. I believe in saying diamonds is the way to a womens heart or jewlery is. Btw tiffany is a great name to go with.

Btw 100 dollars is a good price point. It depends on the length of the relationship.
    “The chances you miss most in life are the chances you never take.”

Excuses seperate the losers from the champions.

"You only get to be young once so enjoy the ride because everyday not sarging is a missed opportunity.

5. I'm in a LTR of about 3 months and I'm spending about $70 on a larger, practical gift that she can use, and then a remaining $30-50 on smaller things that she'll enjoy.

I know I'm getting this so far:
    1) A Wacom tablet for her iBook (she's a professional graphic artist, but doesn't have one at home... has one at work though) about $70
    2) A bunch of scented candles - $10-15
    3) A bottle of wine - $10
    4) A smaller Starbucks giftcard (she's an addict) - $25

I'm thinking about getting her a set of matching bra and panties (really sexy black lacy ones) from Victoria's secret, you don't think this is too sexual, do you?

6. Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    Honestly, the best thing to do would be to exchange Christmas lists. Have her list as many things as she can think of that she'd like, and you do the same. Then, you can get her a surprise from that list and add your own touch to it (gift wrapping + cute hand-written card is a must!)

General things that girls like:
    Anything from Victoria Secret (she'll wear it for you)
    Things that smell good (bath sets, candles, massage oil)
    Jewelry (just make sure you know what style she likes)
    Something you made (example: if you're a DJ, mix her a CD)
    Practical fun stuff she needs (think electronics... NO KITCHENWARE! ...unless she's really into that, lol)
    Games you can play together (think naughty board games, or video games if she's a total dork ) ..ok, for the record Wii might pass the dork test, so you can that without being labeled a nerd.

Essential things to remember:
    1.) Gift-wrap the present... presentation is key.
    2.) ALWAYS add a cute/funny card with a handwritten message. Even if she used/returned/ate your gift, she'll keep the card and smile and think of you when she reads it.
    3.) If you're getting something expensive, make sure it's refundable. You don't want to spend all that money and find that she doesn't like it or it doesn't fit her.
    4.) Girls will usually drop hints about stuff they want...you just gotta pay attention. If you see her drooling over something when you go to the mall, that might be a hint.
    5.) Gift cards suck.

As far as categories go, I'd go for:
    Practical over sappy (works better if you add the card)
    Stuff that lasts vs. an event... or if you get an event, at least get her SOMETHING physical (like a card + something small)
    One expensive gift vs. multiple cheaper ones (but add card!)

Hope that helps,

Rogue

This advice is absolute gold and I've learned these lessons the hard way. I once bought a GF an expensive dress that she wanted and failed to include a card. The dress didn't matter at all - the card held greater value to her, and I ended up spending the rest of the evening tending to her tears and hurt feelings. It was bewildering but live and learn. Quite different than giving your buddy a present - wrapped in the same brown paper bag from which you bought it.

One small side present that every GF ended up loving was a $20 plastic tiara. I don't quite get it, perhaps it has to do with a woman's princess fantasy from childhood. It ends up being their favorite present. They won't really wear it but they'll constantly comment about it for weeks after.

that princess tiara sounds awesome...im gonna add that

Maybe the more practical monogrammed luggage or an engraved keepsake box is the perfect gift for her. Whatever your status or her likes, we have unique gifts for girlfriends that you can have a hand in creating. She'll love that!