Wood Rosary as a Necklace?

12 LastLast

Wood Rosary as a Necklace?

hey guys, long story short, i'm wondering what you guys think about wearing a rosary as part of your outfit.

i just got a really nice dark wooden rosary from my aunt. it matches perfectly with a wood bracelet that i have and wear out a lot, so i'm considering wearing the rosary out too. its very pretty, its different, and it speaks to who i am (Catholic), so i kinda like the idea of people seeing it when i'm out. i've seen a few affliction-shirt-tools wearing similar things, though, so i'm not sure how fashionable or out of date it might be.

here's a pic of something similar:
    http://www.clearlycatholic.com/image...306x282_1_.jpg

wearing it for vanity instead of piety seems like sacrilege, but you guys can let me worry about the spiritual consequences later...

I wear one with an inverted crucifix for added offensiveness :P

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    I wear one with an inverted crucifix for added offensiveness :P
    I don't think it's a good idea, depends where you live.
    Over here you would get your ass kicked and being accused of being a satanist if you try to pull that kind of things off...

Surprise Buttsex

Definitely not.

1. You're in Boston.
    2. Lots of people in Boston are Catholic.
    3. Rosaries are a Catholic religious symbol.
    4. It's considered inappropriate by Catholics to wear a rosary as a necklace.

So Catholics will assume you're a douchebag, and non-Catholics will assume you're Catholic, which they don't have in common with you (bad) and might assign stereotypes which do not help you in set (worse).

Quote Originally Posted by mitrazoot View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea, depends where you live.
    Over here you would get your ass kicked and being accused of being a satanist if you try to pull that kind of things off...
    Well, I've never had that issue in Toronto. Though it is funny how quickly followers of their supposed God jump to violent actions.

I am very much an antitheist though, so I wouldn't really recommend doing so unless you do really believe in the idea you are espousing via your fashion. For that reason I think it would be silly to wear a regular rosary if not Catholic- it just gives off a false impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Well, I've never had that issue in Toronto. Though it is funny how quickly followers of their supposed God jump to violent actions.

I am very much an antitheist though, so I wouldn't really recommend doing so unless you do really believe in the idea you are espousing via your fashion. For that reason I think it would be silly to wear a regular rosary if not Catholic- it just gives off a false impression.
    Now i don't really care anymore but back in the days i would get agressive at seeing someone wearing an inverted crucifix, not that i am or was christian, just because i think satan s***s and it's retarded to believe in something that does bad things because it's kind of contradictory. It's like wanting to die or something. I don't see any reason why satan would want you to stay alive.

Hey guys, thanks for the input, but i was only worrying about the fashion aspect. thanks for pointing out how it could be perceived, Vapor, that makes a lot of sense. i'm actually very proud of my being Catholic, and in Boston, talking about being raised Catholic is a good way to build comfort with people (every irish/italian girl has some super religious grandma, lol). You're definitely right, though, that being the religious kid isn't the best stereotype to be cast as in bars and parties. Some people may still think its douchey, and i'm still not sure myself that it isn't, but with 17 years of Catholic school, i can back it up if they question or debate it. For example (and for the information of those who posted)...

There is actually nothing in the Catholic Bible or Catechism stating that wearing a rosary is wrong, and some religious orders in the Church actually encourage it (as long as you believe in it and actually pray with it). An example of this is the fact that some Church gift shops, like in the Vatican, sell rings that are mini rosaries, obviously meant to be worn on the finger. I'm sure you've also noticed many monks and religious orders also where their rosaries hanging from their belts as both an outward sign of their faith and to keep in nearby to pray in times of need.
    Wearing it to get laid would obviously be wrong, but wearing it in general is not any worse than wearing another crucifix necklace or a pendant with a saint on it (which I do wear, but under my shirt).

Here's another little fun fact: Upside down crucifixes aren't actually sacrileges, at least not for Catholics. The inverted Crucifix is actually a symbol of St. Peter, who asked to be crucified upside-down because he felt he wasn't fit to die in the same fashion as Christ. Of course, if you're not Catholic and wearing it in mockery and disrespect, then you're still incredibly rude for mocking and direspecting something that is so important to other people just because you don't believe in it. If that is the case, I understand if you are sick of some Christians forcing their religion down your throat, but you're also being disrespectful towards those of us that don't force it on you.

Anyways, thanks so much for all the input guys (and sorry for bring religion to the forum, i know it's taboo!). All your input was useful.

As a brief correction to the above post, an upside down crucifix including Jesus hung on it upside down is offensive. A blank inverted cross can either be as he described it or a rejection of Christ.

Also, the Christian doctrine states that all disbelievers go to hell, wearing a cross is showing support for the belief that I am going to burn. If someone wants to believe that, that is their right, but I give little sympathy for any offense they take when others reject such a wicked doctrine.

If you are Christian, then wear it, if not, then why? It's kind of lame. I don't think religious signs are good even for "peacocking". Some people might like it, some might hate it. Better take something neutral or nothing at all. Why would you use jewelery anyway, u a girl? Exactly. Get a cool, expensive watch and that will say everything. Manly and cool.

Subsistence, first I want to say that I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just correcting your correction.
    It is not Christian doctrine that a non-believer is going to burn in hell. That is just what SOME sects of Christianity believe, such as Baptists for example. Catholics, another sect of Christianity, do not feel that you have to be a Catholic, or even a Christian at all, in order to be "saved" or go to heaven. Catholics feel that being a good person, respecting others and respecting yourself is more important than if you believe every word of the Bible and our faith. In other words, Catholics, believe that the Dali Lama would certainly be welcome in heaven, despite his difference in faith from our own, because his actions are peaceful and respectful toward all life. Just because we disagree with some one's beliefs, doesn't mean that we don't respect their beliefs and freedom to such beliefs, as long as it does no harm to any one else.

You are correct that an invert crucifix with Jesus on it would be considered disrespectful to Christians. I mistakenly assumed that a simple cross with no figure was meant. And you are certainly free to wear what ever you please if you live in a free country like the USA, but if you are wearing it to offend Christians, then it's no different than wearing a swastika to intentionally offend Jews. You are free to do it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't rude, and possibly hurtful to some (myself not included). I also don't believe that simply wearing an offensive item is going to damn you to hell, especially if you are consistently respectful towards others in all other aspects of your life.

I'm sure the moderators don't want sensitive topics such as religion, race, or economics debated here, so I'm going to leave it at that. Feel free to make the last word if you feel you must, but if you want to me respond just pm me directly.