Where to live in San Diego

Like Tree1Likes

Where to live in San Diego

Discuss Where to live in San Diego at the CA - San Diego Lair within the The Attraction Forums. Dating Advice.; Where to live in San Diego Hey, guys, in september I'm coming all the way ...

12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender:
    Age
    28
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where to live in San Diego

    Hey, guys, in september I'm coming all the way from Scandinavia to be an exchange student at the UCSD. I'm really pshyched!

    Just wondering what you would think would be the best place to live? Thinking about applying for on-campus housing (Torrey Pines), but it seems that Pacific Beach might be the coolest place to live, with good beaches and nightlife and stuff, although it's a bit far from the university (20 minute drive).

    It would be cool to live on campus too, though, where I would at least live close to a lot of students... But I know there are quite a few students living in Pacific Beach, so I feel a bit more attracted to living there...

    What do you guys think? Any other San Diego students here with some input?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender:
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,781
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Welcome to the United States and to San Diego.

    Pacific Beach (PB) is mainly SDSU students, frat boys/sorostitutes. The UCSD crowd tends to stay near campus and the Golden Triangle. The lifestyle of SDSU (aka State) students isn't really compatible with the UCSD lifestyle- UCSD is mostly Asian, and mostly science/medicine/engineering. Jocks, cheerleaders, and community college grads go to State. Rent is expensive in both areas. If you have a car, I would suggest looking along the 5 corridor- Bay Park, Rose Canyon, those are nice neighborhoods with cheaper rent, and better freeway access. Clairemont is good too, but before renting, do a drive through at night to make sure you don't have ghetto neighbors; most of Clairemont is cool, but it has a couple of weird patches. UC (University City) is another good neighborhood, close to UCSD and cheaper than the Golden Triangle/La Jolla. La Jolla itself is really expensive and full of elderly people, I'd avoid that area, you won't really meet anyone.

    I lived in PB when I first moved to SD at the age of 22. It was great then, but after a few years you come to realize that the traffic is bad, the rent is high, and parking is non-existent on weekends/holidays because of all the inland people going to the beach... but it's fun if you're young. Bay Pointe apartments on Ingraham St. were TONS of fun back in 2004, I don't know it it's still a total party in there now, but back then... oh the tales I could tell! If you rent there, get receipts for your rent checks, do not use the overnight drop slot.

    San Diego is a Craigslist city- meaning that San Diego conducts a lot of business on CL. Hit up sandiego.craigslist.org to find rentals, work, furniture, a vehicle, you name it.

    If you have more questions, ask!

  3. #3
    TheRogue's Avatar
    TheRogue is offline Administrator of the Forums
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Gender:
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 66 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm from SD, and while Pacific Beach is a great place to party at, I wouldn't live there. If you can get into student housing, or somewhere near the university, that's the best choice because you will meet people and spend less time commuting to class. Pacific Beach is really close anyway, so you can just go there to party in the evenings/weekends.

    Rogue

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender:
    Age
    28
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good info, appreciate it

    I'm communicating with a friend, though, who lives there right now, and he says most UCSD students live in Pacific Beach. "Those who live on campus, are mostly freshmen or transfer students who didn't know better when they arrived". He says the area around school is nice, but that he wouldn't recommend living there to anyone he knew. I have another acquaintance at the UCSD who also lives in PB...

    So, what I'm actually leaning towards now, is to find a shared flat in PB with like 3 or 4 other students with whom I can share a car or something...

    Besides doing well in school (of course), I'm really motivated to be as social as I can and create a social circle. Definitely gonna do a lot of both night and day game (at the beach etc.), even though I'm still quite a newb at picking up girls, after having had a girlfriend for quite a few years now. It'd be fun to meet up with some of you.

    And how are girls from San Diego? Or guys, for that matter - a lot of gamers around?

  5. #5
    TheRogue's Avatar
    TheRogue is offline Administrator of the Forums
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Gender:
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 66 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The girls are cute... you'll see lots of "beachy" girls around with sundresses and flip-flops, especially around PB. As for guys, your main competition will be Marines, since Camp Pendleton is right next door. They love hanging out near PB, so good luck gaming if you don't have a smoking hot military body with that sexy short haircut and those nice, big muscles.... oops, getting sidetracked here.

    Anyway, I loved SD. It's a girl's paradise when it comes to hot military men. There are some gamers around too, but they can't compete with Marines... at least not for me.

    Rogue

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender:
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,781
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Some girls (like Rogue) dig the Marines... and many others refuse to date them. Fraternities at state often have a "No Marines" rule for their parties, and those girls don't want military boys anyway. Those guys pose no threat to you, they very rarely have game; they tend to just get obnoxiously drunk and start fights. They get kicked out of bars alot. I've never had any competitive issues with the Marines here, only when trying to pick up Rogue

    Men in San Diego fall into one of several categories, in descending order of likelihood to have game:

    1. Popped-collar douchebags... there's just no getting away from those fuckers.
    2. Coke dealers from Southeast SD. They only go downtown because it makes them feel important.
    3. Marines. They go downtown and occasionally to the beach (generally only during the day), but mostly stick to their own turf.
    4. White trash from East County. You won't run into them anywhere civilized.

    Women here are oblivious to everything, including game. I've never run into a woman who recognizes it. The tough part is finding a girl intelligent enough that the game actually works on her; I find myself having to dumb things down tremendously.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender:
    Age
    28
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRogue View Post
    The girls are cute... you'll see lots of "beachy" girls around with sundresses and flip-flops, especially around PB. As for guys, your main competition will be Marines, since Camp Pendleton is right next door. They love hanging out near PB, so good luck gaming if you don't have a smoking hot military body with that sexy short haircut and those nice, big muscles.... oops, getting sidetracked here.

    Anyway, I loved SD. It's a girl's paradise when it comes to hot military men. There are some gamers around too, but they can't compete with Marines... at least not for me.

    Rogue
    Haha, I read your post thinking "haha, this is a funny guy" ... then I saw your gender icon

    But seriously, looks are not my sticking point. It doesn't get me anywhere alone, though, as I have major issues in escalation ... but that's another story.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender:
    Age
    28
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by boston_019 View Post
    Some girls (like Rogue) dig the Marines... and many others refuse to date them. Fraternities at state often have a "No Marines" rule for their parties, and those girls don't want military boys anyway. Those guys pose no threat to you, they very rarely have game; they tend to just get obnoxiously drunk and start fights. They get kicked out of bars alot. I've never had any competitive issues with the Marines here, only when trying to pick up Rogue

    Men in San Diego fall into one of several categories, in descending order of likelihood to have game:

    1. Popped-collar douchebags... there's just no getting away from those fuckers.
    2. Coke dealers from Southeast SD. They only go downtown because it makes them feel important.
    3. Marines. They go downtown and occasionally to the beach (generally only during the day), but mostly stick to their own turf.
    4. White trash from East County. You won't run into them anywhere civilized.

    Women here are oblivious to everything, including game. I've never run into a woman who recognizes it. The tough part is finding a girl intelligent enough that the game actually works on her; I find myself having to dumb things down tremendously.
    Allright, so what group are you in? There must be some cool guys in SD, too!

    But anyway, I don't really worry about women recognizing game; to me, it's more about just being congruent and having the right mindset.

    BTW, how is San Diego's music scene? It'd be cool to join a band or something and do performances.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender:
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,781
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Musician View Post
    Allright, so what group are you in? There must be some cool guys in SD, too!

    But anyway, I don't really worry about women recognizing game; to me, it's more about just being congruent and having the right mindset.

    BTW, how is San Diego's music scene? It'd be cool to join a band or something and do performances.
    There's lots of local music, but none of it is impressive. The weather is too nice here to generate the emotion needed to produce bitching tunes. Case-in-point: the biggest band to come out of San Diego was Blink 182.

    I don't fall into any of those categories... I'm not d-baggy enough for the sorostitutes, I'm too white to date most blacks/Mexicans, I got out of the Marines more than a decade ago, and I won't do white trash chicks, LOL

  10. #10
    TheRogue's Avatar
    TheRogue is offline Administrator of the Forums
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Gender:
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,278
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 66 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by boston_019 View Post
    I don't fall into any of those categories... I'm not d-baggy enough for the sorostitutes, I'm too white to date most blacks/Mexicans, I got out of the Marines more than a decade ago, and I won't do white trash chicks, LOL
    Wait, if you're 30... that means you got out of the Marines when you were 19 or younger.... but you can't join earlier than 17... so how does that work?

    Rogue

Similar Threads

  1. New in san diego
    By Monkey777 in forum CA - Central California Lair
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
  2. If you live in SAN DIEGO you must read this!
    By ooranos in forum CA - San Diego Lair
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
  3. San Diego
    By Sh0t in forum CA - San Diego Lair
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 02:37 AM
  4. San Diego pre-PUA
    By Excitation in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 12:31 AM
  5. Hi from San Diego
    By sdnightfly in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions



Facebook  Twitter