PDA

View Full Version : Speech impediments.

Rikumo
08-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey, Rikumo again. Incase you dont know, I am the guy who stutters. Its not really bad, not like every other word stuttering, it just happens.....sometimes I have good days. Others are bad. The thing is, when people laugh at it, I usually get all ashamed looking, and feel inadequate. Most people, believe it or not, associate stuttering with STUPID. It makes me mad. The question is....if a girl laughs at it, or makes fun of it, not in a cute way, how can I turn that around, maybe into a Neg? Any other suggestions are welcome. I know alot of people will have ideas on this. Im anxious to hear them. Anything to help this. It lowers my confidence alot, cause my whole life Ive been made fun of. Just so everyone knows, I turn 21 on Sept 5th. So any bar ideas or anything are welcome also, since Ill be there soon. By getting past this, I know my road to becoming a PUA is gonna be alot smoother. Thanks to all.:cool:

NightPUA
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Forget about neg's or comebacks, stuttering really hurts game. Instead, look into a speech therapist, this is something that you can overcome.
*N

Rikumo
08-12-2006, 07:08 PM
this is something I cannot ever escape. Ive had 10 years of therapy. They wouldnt listen. I accidentally swallowed Bleach when I was young, and it scarred my vocal cords or something like that. Scarred something, so now the path if air is interrupted and causes hang-ups in my speech. I only stutter on starting sounds, like beginning of sentences. Or beginning of certain sounding words. There has got to be something I can do to use this to my advantage.

Ethan
08-12-2006, 07:37 PM
try humming under your breath for a quick second before starting a sentence and/or exhaling a bit before trying to talk. I am not sure if that would help but I hope it would. You may want to explore on your own how to better manage this.
Alternately, if they laugh, just appologize and say your comming down with a cold. Once they know you, assuming your a genuinly likable person, it wont matter. Alternately, joke about it -- tell them the bleach story or make something up.

Rikumo
08-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Went out for a little sarging tonight at a club called Night Deposit. I made 3 approaches, and I gave myself a 3 min. time frame. Ill explain why. If I didnt stutter within the first 3 minutes of the PU, Id consider myself already "Likeable." Thanks Ethan, I liked your post, lot of good points. I used your theory about being a likeable guy. The first one I stuttered early on, and it was on a critical word, lol. I meant to say, "want to see a neat bar trick?" Well, I stuttered BAD on bar, so I tried to recover, but she sorta mocked me a little, and I screwed up the bar trick. Its an old fork trick with toothpicks. Gets them every time. Its a really neat illusion. Anyway, the next 2 went very well, I got Id say 5 minutes into the pickup, nothing, perfect speech all the way, and on both of them, after that, I had a minor little one, and one of them thought it was cute. She had seen that trick though. The other girl, she loved it. I got her # easily after that, gave it over gladly. Now I have a new face in my cell phone! Im thinking that confidence will be a large factor in this whole stuttering thing. If I go to one of these workshops I plan on attending, itll be just what I need. End of field report.
Rikumo

NightPUA
08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Went out for a little sarging tonight at a club called Night Deposit. I made 3 approaches, and I gave myself a 3 min. time frame. Ill explain why. If I didnt stutter within the first 3 minutes of the PU, Id consider myself already "Likeable." Thanks Ethan, I liked your post, lot of good points. I used your theory about being a likeable guy. The first one I stuttered early on, and it was on a critical word, lol. I meant to say, "want to see a neat bar trick?" Well, I stuttered BAD on bar, so I tried to recover, but she sorta mocked me a little, and I screwed up the bar trick. Its an old fork trick with toothpicks. Gets them every time. Its a really neat illusion. Anyway, the next 2 went very well, I got Id say 5 minutes into the pickup, nothing, perfect speech all the way, and on both of them, after that, I had a minor little one, and one of them thought it was cute. She had seen that trick though. The other girl, she loved it. I got her # easily after that, gave it over gladly. Now I have a new face in my cell phone! Im thinking that confidence will be a large factor in this whole stuttering thing. If I go to one of these workshops I plan on attending, itll be just what I need. End of field report.
Rikumo
Great Job man. I'm proud of you.
Keep it up.
*N

Vincent Chase
08-12-2006, 11:56 PM
"Aww you stuttered, that's so cute *hahaha*"
"Some bleach got into my lungs when I was a kid and scarred my vocal chords, sometimes the air hiccups over the dimples the bleach left in my throat."
*respectful silence*
Don't let it effect you. Some people told me I had a feminine voice, I punched their head in until my fist hurt, not the best solution. I had my best friend punch me in the stomach until I couldn't talk anymore, still didn't work. I finished my pact of talking to everyone I made eye contact with for 3 months, my voice was smoother and deeper. At times it still get pretty high pitched, asked anyone in Chicago, but now I really don't give a fuck.
We're more than the sum of our problems, our issues, our habits our parts. We are the cohesive whole, don't single one thing out, single yourself out and improve yourself, you will be in a state of bliss when you are happy with yourself.

supreme
08-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Nice job Bro.
Best of luck to you!

Perfect Dark
08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
You seem to be working through the situation fine though it does seem like you need a set of canned responses that neg them and increase your social status. I personally wouldn't go into the reasons why you stutter early on but you could make up a cool completely false story just as a comeback.

Ethan
08-14-2006, 07:41 PM
I was at a bar over the weekend and there was a guy in a wheelchair. Right off the back, I had to admit to myself how rough that is... but the guy looked to be holding his own and had a few conversations going with what appeared to be some very interesting women... he certainly did better than I did.
Thinking about that I remember there was a scene from a movie, I think it was Hitch, where the blond chick was yelling at Will Smith about how fake the fat guy was and how she felt cheated at how Will Smith orchestrated the little thing where the fat guy did some retarded dance to make her feel better... anyway, the point was that some girls may find your hiccup thing as a way to release the tension out of having to be perfect themself. Ya know?

Jester
08-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Dude dont worry about it too much. Sometimes I stutter as well, although my reasoning isnt as good as yours. Mine is from too many drugs when I was younger - kids stay away from meth! haha
Whenever I do it I just make a joke of it, take a breathe and say "OK So what I was TRYING to say is......" It works everytime and people just forget about it. I think that its worse if you dont say anything about it. If people are bagging you for Id just next them, they arent the kind of people that you want to know honestly. Or hit them with a neg - are you always like this??
Dont over think it, its not really as bad as your thinking that it is. Try and incorporate it into your game, Id bring your story in in C1.