PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Game on Customers

Chaz
07-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I had been reading and trying to put into practice everything I was learning about pick-up but with only minor success. I hadn't run the newbie mission yet (well I sorta did, but it was a miserable failure). Until about a week ago I decided that I would run a newbie mission on HB customers at the retail store that I work in.
Before deciding this, my usual interactions with HB customers went a little something like this:
Chaz: Hey, Are you finding everything alright?
HB: yes
Chaz: Okay, well if you need help with anything, just let me know. My name is Chaz.
HB: OK, thank you.
As you can see, I don't get them to open up very much and the interactions are quite short.
This is how I've been starting up my conversations with every HB customer for a week now:
*HB is browsing through the clothes. I follow the 3 sec rule.
Chaz: I bet you that I can guess exactly what you're looking for.
HB: (curiously) What?
Chaz: (I pause for a bit) clothes...
HB: (smiles or giggles) gee, how in the world did you guess that!? (sarcastically)
Chaz: It's cuz I'm psychic. Check this out. Pick a number between 1 and 10 and don't tell me.
HB: *thinking
Chaz: Seven.
HB: Nope *laughs (so far all the girls I've done this to have not picked seven!! but it works better this way)
Chaz: Well I bet you I can guess your age.
HB: Oh really? What is it?
Chaz: I'll tell you in a second, but before I do, I need a crucial piece of information. What year were you born?
HB: laughs and tells me.
Chaz: (I calculate her age and tell her)
Chaz: I'm actually not really psychic but if you need help with anything just let me know, my name is Chaz.
As you can tell, the second conversation is much better than the first. I've had all different kinds of HB's open up with this. I've tried it on single sets as well as 2 and 3 sets. It's so true that opening gets much and much easier the more and more you try it. Especially when you're using the same lines, you can almost predict what the women will respond.
This is a small breakdown of what is going on in the interation:
-My answer to my first question is meant to make her laugh and establish a joking atmosphere, because it's obvious that she's looking for clothes.
-I do the 1-10 ESP because for some reason they never pick 7 so it adds to the joke.
-I run the age guessing routine for 2 reasons. Because it's funny, but mainly to find out their actual age cuz I don't wanna end up sarging some 16 year old. (some of them have turned out to be 16)
-After the age routine, I pretty much revert to my old ways and eject.
I haven't been pushing it much further than that. I guess I have A1 down pretty well. I could stack a few more openers I suppose. But I really want to start practicing my A2. Does anyone have any suggestions for A2 or anything that I'm doing wrong or could do better while opening?
I also know that it will be quite different sarging when I'm not working. I've noticed that I am very comfortable approaching anyone now, while I'm working. I need to transition to sarging when I'm off the clock, cuz then I don't have to worry about getting fired.

Hawt
07-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Running the Newbie Mission at work where girls are semi-obligated to talk to you doesn't count man. Just do real approaches. Who cares if you bomb? Just plow through it.

Chaz
07-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Yep, you make a good point. The upside is that it has somewhat helped me with my Approach Anxiety. Although, I could see myself using this approach at another store even If I'm not working. Without the "if you need anything I can help you" part. I can just transition to some other opener instead.