PDA

View Full Version : When Being Introduced (In College,Uni etc)

Spyki
05-21-2006, 03:38 AM
I've searched this topic on the forum but to no avail, so i'm presuming its not been touched upon greatly. I see it come up as a social situation more and more often, especially in college.
When being introduced to new people you are making that first impression, so its got 2 be a good one! I remember being introduced to new people and after the intial hello I just sat back and gave off a shy vibe. Afew tips for making your introductions better.

Firm handshake for males and females, a potential AMOG should be given a second touch on the elbow or arm
DO NOT kiss a girl on the cheek, it invades the barriers that you have not yet worked on and makes her uncomfortable
ALWAYS Smile - Give a positive vibe, one that the group will want to know more
Don't Alienate or show overinterest to a particular of the group
And if its a wingman or good friend, get him 2 throw you some slight DHV, not too much or it actually portrays him as more alpha

Feel free to add some of your own tips for networking and introductions...
Spyki

Dace
05-21-2006, 04:07 AM
Now I quite like the study of body language, and you must really in a moment show something different. Most guys will shake the hand, smile and say "its nice to meet you". Nearly every guy does that, it is the perfect situation to show them that you are a man of a different cloth. The comments you have listed are nice:

Firm handshake for males and females, a potential AMOG should be given a second touch on the elbow or arm
DO NOT kiss a girl on the cheek, it invades the barriers that you have not yet worked on and makes her uncomfortable
ALWAYS Smile - Give a positive vibe, one that the group will want to know more
Don't Alienate or show overinterest to a particular of the group
And if its a wingman or good friend, get him 2 throw you some slight DHV, not too much or it actually portrays him as more alpha

You need to watch your body language one of the books I read "How to make people like you in 90 seconds or less" was good for stuff like this, point your chest toward her, give off that feeling of warmth, big smile, etc. If you want comfort bring the second hand up to either their shoulder or to cover their other hand. But most of this is good for the comfort vibe, if you want to be different you must do different things. Some I got from PUA sites, interviews etc so its not just my stuff:

Assume thumb wars positions
Invent a new hand shake right there( good to show you are cool and fun and even if you use the same one all the time and pretend you made it up right there)
Put out the rock and let them shake the rock
Pretend its paper in rock paper and scissors( I cut so many girls and tell them I win and ignore it if they don't get it)
Don't close your fingers, and keep your hand stiff out and keep telling them to keep shaking it (great convo point and distinguishes you right there)

Now the words you say are also vitally useful, every other fool says the same crap "nice to meet you", and this is nice for those people that you really couldn't care less about, its nice to meet your grandmothers 90 year old neighbour, but in five minutes you aren't going to care. Think about different things to say: now "great to meet you" and things that come kindof close to the orignial aren't different enough and will generally give off neediness to the max. Sometimes I will lean in and say "I am the one your mother warned you about" wink and then turn my back/to the side to talk with someone else. Now I have had a range of things to say:

"Oh its you"
"Aah your the one"
"Don't you just love cheese?"
Any standard opener can be used at this point ( "here, you look like you have a head on your shoulders, can I get your opinion on....")

THere is so much you can say to intrigue them that bit more, to get them talking. But most importantly be different. If you think that the sparkle in your eye, the warm hand shake and the nice to meet you is going to convey such intrigue that she has to have you right there and then, well that really isn't going to happen.
Charm, annoy, laugh, just don't "nice to meet you" unless you can do it in such a way that its fun.
Be you, but realise you can change and should only do so for the better,
Dace

Spyki
05-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Great advice for the guys out there, its so easy to just say "nice to meet you" but be dace; be different! :p
Spyki

Le Loup
05-22-2006, 09:06 AM
You can kiss a girl on the cheek in introducing yourself.... but it only works if they know you're european or you've told them that you are.
It's always worked for me.
The other points are spot on tho.

Ryan
05-22-2006, 09:22 AM
99% of people in college are still not fully socially calibrated - doing this will make you stand out in a very positive way.
It's also a massive DHV to introduce people to each other.
Nice thread bud!